What did you dream from your surroundings?

Share your most awesome, bizarre or lifelike dreams of the non-lucid variety. Tell us about your weirdest nightmares and false awakenings.
stormsyr

What did you dream from your surroundings?

Postby stormsyr » 05 Aug 2012 01:27

I'm new so maybe there has been a post of this before, but I didn't see one.

We all know we can incorporate sounds from the outside into our dreams. (raining, etc)

What I wonder, is what kind of crazy dreams you've had from noise from your surroundings.

1. The earliest I remember I was about 10. I was going to go on a fishing trip with my friend and his father that day. My mother was trying to wake me up at 6 in the morning. I was dreaming, I don't remember of what, just the last part. Ninjas had grabbed my foot and they were trying to shut it in the crack of a door(That little inch where the hinges hold it). I pulled it back and to safety, but then cowboys were trying to do it to me! (And at this point my mother yelled "stop it, you have to get up to go on your trip. I need to put your sock on!")

2. I was asleep on the couch and my mother started vacuuming. In my dream I was vacuuming, until she bumped the couch and I was woken up.

3. I Was at a party and I didn't like the music, so I reached up to turn down the volume. But I really did reach up and turn, but all I turned was a corner of the blanket which woke me up to my annoying alarm clock! :shock:

torakrubik

Re: What did you dream from your surroundings?

Postby torakrubik » 05 Aug 2012 23:20

I've had many dreams like this; the strangest of which occurred during hypnogogia. I imagined a man holding a vase above his head. He brought the vase down hard on a rock and it smashed. The 'smash' turned out to be a clink of a pipe in my wall (i was jolted into waking reality). The weirdest part about this is how my brain predicted the clink and created a scene leading up to the sound. Very bizarre!
Dreaming is my drug

stormsyr

Postby stormsyr » 06 Aug 2012 03:28

torakrubik wrote:The weirdest part about this is how my brain predicted the clink and created a scene leading up to the sound. Very bizarre!

This i've wondered myself, as in the vacuuming one I was already holding the vacuum when I heard it turn on. The only thing I can think, is that as soon as you hear the sound your brain clicks over and comes up with something, before you actually register that you heard it. Making it seem as though it was already happening.

One night a storm was going on and I was dreaming a giant was standing over my house, then he dumped a bucket of water on our house which awoke me. I HUGE downpour had just started.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 06 Aug 2012 23:02

That's a decent theory actually, otherwise i'd assume that, as we often dream of things that have happened in waking reality, we can equally experience things in waking reality after we have dreamed them (i.e. precognitive dreams). This would explain how the dream 'knows' a certain sound is going to occur in waking reality.
Dreaming is my drug

stormsyr

Postby stormsyr » 07 Aug 2012 20:10

That makes sense as well. Perhaps as in my dream of vacuuming I heard the vacuum being pulled out, or heard someone say vacuum(it just didn't register in my dream) so I started dreaming I was vacuuming.

Or in yours with the pipe, perhaps there is a subtle noise before the clang, or pressure or something else that being awake you may not notice, but on another level of consciousness you register it. (such as barometer drops. I'm sure we all feel it, but some people are more aware of it)

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 07 Aug 2012 23:10

Yes, I'm sure it can all be explained scientifically, however the science in question here is simply new and unfamiliar.
Dreaming is my drug

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 08 Aug 2012 06:59

When I sleep on my arm, my dreams are sometimes affected. I remember this dream where I had to lug this huge suitcase around with 1 arm, it just got heavier and heavier and it was because I was sleeping on my arm
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

James

Postby James » 18 Aug 2012 22:20

I know of a similar affect called the stopped clock, something like that ;), efect. When you dart your eyes left to right you don't see the blur between the two solid images, what your brain does is wait untill your eyes stop moving then replace the whole memory of the blur with the current image...
I'm not sure if you got what I said cause I'm not the best at explaining, but they call it the stopped clock effect because if you look over at a clock with seconds, the first second always seems longer.
/Maybe in the dream you heard the pipe so your brain tried to make up an explination for it, so it rewrote your memory with the man with the vase?
By the way the text after the / is just my personal idea, so don't pretend It's true!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Was it worth it?

James

Postby James » 18 Aug 2012 22:46

I found the place where I got teh info:
(delete the new lines, some wierd stuff happens if I simply paste the link)
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?
desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3F
v%3DnNBTLbw1_2Q%26list%3DPL
2E209754A7759E31%26index%3D1
4%26feature%3Dplpp_video&index=
14&list=PL2E209754A7759E31&featu
re=plpp_video&v=nNBTLbw1_2Q&gl=GB
Was it worth it?

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 19 Aug 2012 22:48

James wrote:I know of a similar affect called the stopped clock, something like that ;), efect. When you dart your eyes left to right you don't see the blur between the two solid images, what your brain does is wait untill your eyes stop moving then replace the whole memory of the blur with the current image...

I am familiar with this effect; although i hadn't linked it with my experience before! Thanks for the reminder :D
Dreaming is my drug

Return to “Share Your Non-Lucid Dreams”