Reality Check not working many times

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Dreamer3456

Reality Check not working many times

Postby Dreamer3456 » 06 Aug 2012 17:19

So everytime I do a reality check in a dream (push my fingers through palm or breathing) it fails the only way I have managed to become lucid is by seeing myself in the mirror.

Why are reality checks not working in my dreams?

Denmonation

Re: Reality Check not working many times

Postby Denmonation » 07 Aug 2012 07:05

You just really need to focus on your checks. Instead of seeing them as chores, see them as fun opportunities to get lucid. Once you tell your brain they're really important, you'll start to lucid dream.

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Aug 2012 07:10

if you get to the point of a reality check then you are lucid - that is the hard fact to accept. The reality check will shapen up and prolong. It a fine line but how can you do a reality check or attempt to do one unless it is to answer a question and that is am I dreaming or am I not dreaming. Try holding the thougth of needing to do a reality check for a few seconds and keep looking around in the dream. I dont always so the checks as a lot of the time there is no need.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Denmonation

Postby Denmonation » 07 Aug 2012 08:11

Peter wrote:if you get to the point of a reality check then you are lucid - that is the hard fact to accept. The reality check will shapen up and prolong.

I think that's only partially true. When I began lucid dreaming, pretty much every time I became lucid it was from a reality check that I decided to perform on a whim. Now I still get those dreams sometimes, but other times I recognize the dream without a check. So while checks are mainly for keeping yourself engaged in the LD, it can help new LDers become lucid before recognizing that it's a dream.

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Aug 2012 08:31

yes its about relizising you are in the dream but in truth its a conformation that you are in the dream so you must be aware that you are dreaming first. How would you do a reality check if you were not aware. In dream recall you always work out what should have been a sign that you were dreaming and in a spontainous lucid you dont bother to check but if you think that you need to do a check why is that, it can only be because you are aware. The trick is confirm that awareness not are you aware. So this leads to me saying that if you are aware that you are dreaming and want to do a reality check then you are already lucid. Have you had a DC convince you that you are not dreaming yet?
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Denmonation

Postby Denmonation » 07 Aug 2012 08:49

Peter wrote:How would you do a reality check if you were not aware. In dream recall you always work out what should have been a sign that you were dreaming and in a spontainous lucid you dont bother to check but if you think that you need to do a check why is that, it can only be because you are aware.

I've noticed many times in my dreams I'll think to myself, "Well I haven't done check in a while, but I know this isn't a dream..." and I'll just do a check out of habit even if I see no signs of a dream. Then when that check fails I then start to become aware of how odd everything is and how it's totally a dream.

That's not to discount the point you're making though. The reality check really is just a confirmation of what you already know, not a way of becoming lucid. That's completely accurate. I'm just saying that for beginners, reality checks can be a way of becoming lucid sometimes.

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Aug 2012 09:13

for sure, they are important and I still do them a lot as they will stabilize the dream and depending on how you do them engage a few more senses. The big problem is how real the dreams are at the time, they are truly another reality and the reality checks can confirm or in somes cases deny the dreamer the dream. I still get fooled at times and have a couple of checks that dont fail me if I have doubts

Return to “For Beginners”