Realise I'm dreaming, dream falls apart - Help!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Roran

Realise I'm dreaming, dream falls apart - Help!

Postby Roran » 07 Aug 2012 10:16

Hi everyone!

I've been reading all the information on the website for a few days now. I've been doing my reality checks constantly all day (fingers through palm and pushing my hand through my desk) and I've been making sure that I believe my fingers / hand will pass through. I've been keeping my dream journal and recording every dream I can remember when I wake up. I've also been doing my 30mins of meditation every day while listening to Isochronic music, which by the way is very relaxing. The feeling of your body swaying like you're really dizzy is such a strange but relaxing feeling, but back onto the dreams;

I was pretty determined to have a lucid dream last night. I went to sleep fairly quickly (I'm someone who usually takes up to 2 hours to fall asleep, its frustrating but last night only took me about 45mins). The only dream I can recall is one where I was in a small bedroom - nothing like mine or anyone's bedroom I know. The room had 3 doors, a wardrobe and a small bookshelf. I said to myself "Ok, you must be dreaming now" and I tried my reality checks. Both of them failed, regardless of how much I willed them to pass through. I got a bit annoyed and looked around - there wasn't a mirror but there were books. I took a couple of them, read the title, looked away and read the title again. On the third book, the title of the book completely changed the second time. This allowed me to (finally) say "Ok good, you're dreaming. Let's see what we can do!". I decided to use one of the doors as a 'portal' to the next place I wanted to go - a beautiful mountain range or something, just to test what I could do. As I walked towards the door, the dream fell apart very quickly and before I knew it, I was looking around the inside of my eyelids and I was awake. I looked at my clock and it was still the middle of the night. I can't remember any dreams that followed.

So what do I need to do to keep myself in the dream? I recall being able to realise I'm in a dream about 5 or 6 times before (before I viewed this website) but every time I do, the dream ends shortly after. Why can't my sub-concious keep the dream running when I decide to take control over it? Is this something that just takes time to train my brain into keeping the dream working or am I "one of those people" who can't keep a lucid dream going?

Please help :D It's great to know I'm in a dream but it's so horrible to have it end straight away :(

Oneirophile

Re: Realise I'm dreaming, dream falls apart - Help!

Postby Oneirophile » 07 Aug 2012 12:47

Have you seen Rebecca's advice? I hope this helps:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/how-to-stay-lucid.html

Roran

Postby Roran » 07 Aug 2012 13:55

Oneirophile wrote:Have you seen Rebecca's advice? I hope this helps:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/how-to-stay-lucid.html

Thank you - there is just so much useful information on this site that its easy to overlook some of it :). I'll try those techniques tonight. I certainly stayed calm when I realised that I was dreaming, it just suddenly slipped away from me. I'll try the hand rubbing and spinning around if I start to slip next time. I'll report back tomorrow :).

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 07 Aug 2012 23:26

A problem I've had before is worrying that I'm going to wake up whilst I'm lucid - almost guaranteed to awaken me...but that can be overcome with a bit of will power :)

Btw, Oneirophile, I love your username! :D
Dreaming is my drug

kiuytrd

Postby kiuytrd » 08 Aug 2012 06:32

I also had this problem... I rubbed my hands together then I woke up [ I WAS lucid in the dream...]
Hmmmm what to do...

Return to “For Beginners”