Reality checks failing

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
casey

Reality checks failing

Postby casey » 01 Aug 2012 03:15

Lately when i try reality checks in my dreams they dont work. Im used to having a few LDs a week so ive started to just go through the motions when i do RCs in waking life. Could this be the reason why my RCs havent been working?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

Denmonation

Re: Reality checks failing

Postby Denmonation » 01 Aug 2012 07:08

Yeah you hit it right on the head. When you become complacent in real life and just do checks because you feel you have to, you won't actually question that you're dreaming. Once you start really doing reality checks and thinking about them, you'll LD again.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 04 Aug 2012 01:25

I once had a dream and tried to make a camera come to my hand. It didn't work and I didn't expect it to. Reality checks don't always work. Reality checks are just a check to make sure. You should already KNOW before you check. But it is important to check yourself before you make an ass of yourself in case it is real life!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 04 Aug 2012 05:38

Yup, you need to put actual intent behind your checks or they'll always fail.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

satopnek

Postby satopnek » 04 Aug 2012 13:15

I have been in a dream that I just knew was a dream and attempted a reality check to prove it out. I was using just one check which was to push two fingers through the palm of the opposite hand. This check failed me every time; it would feel just like it does in waking life.

I made the mistake of relying on just one check. My checks now are the finger check that keeps failing (not sure why I keep doing it, I guess I want to see what it is like when it does not fail.) I added, trying to fly, pinching my nose and trying to breath through it (this one works great for me), and looking at my palm which makes an M letter in the creases (I expect this to be inconsistent in a dream). Out of these checks flying and the nose pinch have proven the dream every time.

I have never become lucid because of a check but have used them to back up my assumption that I was dreaming.

What have I learned? Some checks work better than others for me, and I should not rely on just one check but do several different checks until I prove a dream or not.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 05 Aug 2012 01:46

Not only that, but to extend your experience for as long as you can... keep doing your checks every so often. Don't wait for that "wake up" signal to occur. Usually, once you feel that you're about to wake up... it's too late to stop it.

Now, if that happens... and you're too late to stop it. Realize that you're waking up... then as you feel yourself back in the physical, keep your body perfectly still and do not open your eyes. Lie there, and within 5 - 10 seconds (give or take), you should feel another shift and you'll be back in the non-physical. :)
Or join my forums!

satopnek

Postby satopnek » 05 Aug 2012 13:18

So. When I am lucid dreaming I have been reminding myself every so often that I am dreaming and rubbing my hands together at the same time. I start to feel in my dream as if I am getting very sleepy then I wake. Extra reality checks helps to stop the wake up? I will give that a try. Also, when I do wake I always open my eyes. I guess I will give laying still to see what happens.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Aug 2012 05:26

Ryan wrote:Not only that, but to extend your experience for as long as you can... keep doing your checks every so often. Don't wait for that "wake up" signal to occur. Usually, once you feel that you're about to wake up... it's too late to stop it.

Now, if that happens... and you're too late to stop it. Realize that you're waking up... then as you feel yourself back in the physical, keep your body perfectly still and do not open your eyes. Lie there, and within 5 - 10 seconds (give or take), you should feel another shift and you'll be back in the non-physical. :)

I did that last night/morning when I was lucid dreaming. I just knew it was going to end soon (I know the feeling) and I was going to wake up. So I remembered the what you wrote and started to rub my hands together, looked around and touched things and it worked. I was able to finish climbing some steps and just needed to get around a corner and I knew that would change everything and I would be in a stable lucid dream still. Sure enough i was able to make it to the top and looked right and it opened up a whole new dream scenario and I was still lucid dreaming. (otherwise I would have woken up or had to stay still to enter the dream again)

And as for staying perfectly still and entering a hypnogic state or perhaps sleep paralysis (or whatever it is... it can be different all the time) I've done that a lot and it works.

It may not work all the time for everybody, but it worked for me last night and it's a good thing to remember and do at the end of a lucid dream. (if you want to prolong it)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 09 Aug 2012 03:31

Good stuff HAGART! :)
Or join my forums!

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 13 Aug 2012 12:13

It's interesting because I don't do reality checks anymore as they never seemed to work for me. First of all I just know that I am dreaming because everything suddenly gets very focused.

Also what I always do after I think I am dreaming is say "clarity now" and rub my hands together. When I do this, I get validation because everything gets brighter and and more vivid. At that point a reality check is a waste of time because it is quite clear what is happening.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”