Is Lucid Dreaming a Form of Meditation?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
KylePK

Re: Is Lucid Dreaming a Form of Meditation?

Postby KylePK » 30 Jul 2012 16:56

Peter wrote:I think that Ryan hit on it but is meditation a tool or a state. Do you meditate to achieve a state or when you get to some state are you then meditating-cant be both

Yes, it can be both. You can use the state of meditation as a tool. Putting your mind in a more calm and aware state of focus can be used as a tool to handle a situation or to handle yourself in whichever way you are trying to, improving self control for example.
"When you get to some state are you then meditating-"
I'm not sure what you mean by this... but I wouldn't consider any state meditation unless the meditative intent is already present, in which case you were probably meditating somewhat to get to that state.

If any of that makes any sense.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Peter

Postby Peter » 30 Jul 2012 20:28

What I mean is that meditating not a state, it is a tool to acheive some state of mind. Lucid dreaming is not a tool to get somewhere it is the end state after a DILD or WILD. So I would say that you use meditation to acheive something and it does not really exist in its own right.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 10 Aug 2012 02:03

Peter wrote:What I mean is that meditating not a state, it is a tool to acheive some state of mind. Lucid dreaming is not a tool to get somewhere it is the end state after a DILD or WILD. So I would say that you use meditation to acheive something and it does not really exist in its own right.

I would use lucid dreaming as a tool to further investigate my inner psyche. Your logic is rather close minded. Defining either as a tool or a product isn't practical, necessary or even possible really. One of the things about meditation and lucid dreaming is that they rely on the individual's perception. They are somewhat undefinable, at least in such simple ways as "tool".

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Aug 2012 07:19

This starts to get complex to me as my thoughts are that you are meditating and that is how you might get to some state of mind but it not the state itself, in the same way that you go for a walk but the walking only gets you to some other place.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Roseburg

Postby Roseburg » 10 Aug 2012 08:00

I've been reading about Non duelism in a tebetin dream yoga book. I think that a lucid dream would become the perfect place to meditate once you were able to pull yourself into the lucid state. The ongoing scenario in the bacground of the dream would provide the perfect chance to practice neither good or bad reactions, but insteade to just become part of the scenery. I read in Robbert Waggoners Book Lucid Draming, that he himself reached this place of nothing, where he refused to partake in the dream scenery and it ended yet he was still aware and in a lucid state. There was whitness and nothing else. This would be very near the goal of non duelism I would think (hope I am saying that right). This is my goal for when I get back to a lucid state agian. I became aware in my dream but did not remmebr this task, to remove my feelings good or bad from the scenario my dream had planned for me, this is my next goal.

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Aug 2012 08:28

I have done that a lot of times and it a little more accurate to say that you are part of the place and in doing so lose all sense of self but retain another sort of awareness as well. I will be keen to get your thoughts if you get there - best of luck

jamiealexander

Postby jamiealexander » 10 Aug 2012 18:58

KylePK wrote:
Peter wrote:What I mean is that meditating not a state, it is a tool to acheive some state of mind. Lucid dreaming is not a tool to get somewhere it is the end state after a DILD or WILD. So I would say that you use meditation to acheive something and it does not really exist in its own right.

I would use lucid dreaming as a tool to further investigate my inner psyche. Your logic is rather close minded. Defining either as a tool or a product isn't practical, necessary or even possible really. One of the things about meditation and lucid dreaming is that they rely on the individual's perception. They are somewhat undefinable, at least in such simple ways as "tool".

I think you're completely misunderstanding what Peter is trying to say.

He is talking about being in a different state of consciousness.

Meditation isn't a state of consciousness. It's a tool that allows you to get there.

It's like being up somewhere high and looking at the view. Climbing is the tool that allows you to get there. Climbing isn't being somewhere high and looking at the view, if that makes sense.

Or studying isn't getting an A+. Studying is a tool that allows you to get an A+. Some people can study and they will never reach the stage of A+. They might only get a B.

It's the same with meditation. People might not reach the A+ because they didn't use the tool properly.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 10 Aug 2012 20:11

Yeah, Jamie, that makes much more sense. I still believe lucid dreaming should be seen as more than the end result of the tool, in this case, meditation. Lucid dreaming can be such a powerful tool as well, with the end result being a clearer, more creative and philosophic state of mind.

jamiealexander

Postby jamiealexander » 10 Aug 2012 21:55

Agree completely. Lucid dreaming is only the beginning.

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Aug 2012 23:04

No - my logic is the opposite and totally open as it places no limits and has allowed me to explores many states beyond the simple playground of basic lucid states. It an open minded way based on no past and no future and exploring without outcomes in mind.

Meditation isn't a state of consciousness. It's a tool that allows you to get there.

Correct - and getting lucid is back to the start once again and now replaces meditation as a tool to move even deeper in the exploration of the states ( I wont even use the term mind as that in itself is limiting)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”