MILD Technique

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

MILD Technique

Postby Xyyzzz » 13 Aug 2012 03:05

I recently got into lucid dreaming and wanted to experience it for myself. I started a dream journal a put a dream I could remember on it and I'm also doing reality checks every 30-60 minutes. I was just wondering if I'm on the right path to having a MILD

Before going to sleep I watch the two subliminal lucid dreaming videos on Rebecca's site and then when I'm in bed I repeat to myself: "The next time I dream I will realize I am dreaming". And when I feel like I'm about to fall asleep I vividly imagine myself flying in a city and also imagine myself doing several simple reality checks like turning on a light and failing, failing to put my finger through my hand, etc.

I'm not taking any herbs and I can't attempt to do WILDs because my parents will get annoyed if I wake up (I'm only 14) so I have to try MILD. Am I on the right path? If not, what should I fix?

P.S - I never attempted any other strategy, only MILD. Will it just take time for me to start lucid dreaming? I'm completely dedicated to trying it and willing to keep my nighttime routine and constant reality checks if it works. My reality checks are short, I sometimes don't even ask myself that "If I am dreaming ______ will happen". Is this ok? Or do I absolutely have to ask myself and give proper conclusions like "My hand didn't go through the desk, this means I'm awake"?

Re: MILD Technique

Postby Denmonation » 13 Aug 2012 06:01

It sounds like you're on the right track. It's good that you picked out one method to focus on. As long as you keep it going and don't give up, you'll have LDs eventually. It could take weeks, it could take months. It's different for everyone.

As for reality checks, you really don't want to be just going through the motions. It's best to ask yourself every time if you're dreaming or in real life. I often mouth the words saying stuff like that "the time on the digital clock remains the same, that means I'm not in a dream." Otherwise, you'll have times where you do a reality check in a dream and it won't trigger lucidity, even if it fails (so even if your hand went through the desk, your brain might not make the connection that it's a dream).

As long as you stay dedicated, you're going the right direction.

Return to “For Beginners”