Beginner questions

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
BioProton

Beginner questions

Postby BioProton » 12 Aug 2012 18:56

Hi, I'm a complete beginner as far as lucid dreaming. I started "training" 3 days ago. I'm doing reality checks every day, I'm keeping a dream journal, etc. I've yet to have a lucid dream, but I notice that I'm starting to remember my dreams in more detail, and sometimes I remember multiple dreams when I wake up. But I have a question for "professional" lucid dreamers out there - once I begin to lucid dream regularly, will I still have to keep performing reality checks in waking life, meditate, etc?

And one more thing - when we remember multiple dreams in one night, and they really separate dreams or are they just parts of one longer dream? For example, yesterday I woke up and I remembered having 2 dreams. In one, I was at a hardware store and in the other, I was at a school. They seemed to be 2 unrelated dreams, but isn't it also possible that I had one long dream, but didn't remember the commute from the hardware store to the school? I know it seems like a trivial question, but I can't stop thinking about it.

torakrubik

Re: Beginner questions

Postby torakrubik » 12 Aug 2012 22:24

Firstly, you will have to maintain your commitment to lucid dreaming in order to continue experiencing them on a regular basis. Whether this be by continued reality checks, or perfecting the WILD/WBTB techniques is up to you.

As for your second query: yes, it could possibly be one long dream. I often notice that whilst dreaming, i suddenly appear in places (rarely questioning how i got there). In lucid dreams this doesn't often happen to me though; I seem to adopt a clear memory of my travels :P
Dreaming is my drug

BioProton

Postby BioProton » 13 Aug 2012 02:36

Thanks. So you're saying that once I start experiencing lucid dreams, I'll still have to keep some part of my routine, but not necessarily every part?

Well I guess there's no definite way to find out whether or not it was one long dream. I guess it could be either.

BioProton

Postby BioProton » 13 Aug 2012 20:51

And another thing: I usually wake up with a memory of one or two regular dreams every morning. But today, I woke up and nothing came to me. My mind was blank no matter how hard I tried to remember my dreams. So I got out of bed and started my morning routine, and it wasn't until I was washing my face when I suddenly remembered my entire dream. It came to me out of nowhere. So I wrote it in my dream journal, and in the middle of writing it, I suddenly remembered an second dream that I had.

I was wondering, does this happen to anybody else often? I find it strange that I couldn't remember my dreams until 15 minutes after I got up, considering I usually wake up with the memory of my dream(s).

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 13 Aug 2012 22:49

BioProton wrote:Thanks. So you're saying that once I start experiencing lucid dreams, I'll still have to keep some part of my routine, but not necessarily every part?

It depends what techniques you use. For example, with MILD you would HAVE to keep lucid dreaming in your mind throughout the day, continue doing reality checks etc. With something like WILD, this isn't as important (although it does help). But, WILD takes practice and effort, since it is a valuable LDing skill. I would strongly recommend continued dream recordings in your journal though.

Regarding your post on remembering dreams long after you wake up: this happens to me all the time. I often rush back to my dream journal at points in the day when i suddenly recall another dream, or part of one :P
Dreaming is my drug

BioProton

Postby BioProton » 14 Aug 2012 03:42

Thanks, I see what you're saying. I've been doing reality checks, journaling, and occasionally MILD, but when do you suggest I start working on WILD? I don't think I HAVE to wait until I have my first lucid dream to start perfecting it, but when would it be most beneficial?

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 14 Aug 2012 22:42

If you're good at focusing and patient, then i don't see any reason why you can't start practicing right away :) the hardest part, after all, is getting the right balance between being relaxed enough mentally for the hypnogogia to develop, and still maintaining a conscious thread with which to realize when to enter the dream. And the only well you'll get better at that is lots of practice :)
Dreaming is my drug

BioProton

Postby BioProton » 15 Aug 2012 03:31

Thanks. Yeah, I read that WILD is difficult to master, but it's very effective when done correctly.

BioProton

Postby BioProton » 15 Aug 2012 03:34

And I was also wondering - are WILD and Wake Back to Bed/WBTB the same thing?

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 15 Aug 2012 21:27

BioProton wrote:And I was also wondering - are WILD and Wake Back to Bed/WBTB the same thing?

No. WBTB, in a nutshell, is where you wake yourself up midway through REM sleep and, stimulate your brain for a few minutes, and when you get back into bed, your body goes straight back into REM sleep. The idea being that you will hopefully remain conscious and begin to dream immediately. You can read more about it in detail here:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/wake-back-to-bed.html

This technique however, can be combined with a WILD quite effectively. They share similarities, but WILD focuses on the hypnogogic state and induction of lucid dreams, whereas WBTB is all about REM cycles.
Dreaming is my drug

Return to “For Beginners”