Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Richard Griffin

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Richard Griffin » 19 Jun 2017 02:48

jjkkll666 wrote:i have been doing freaking reality checks for 2 months, i do them every hour, sometimes multiple times, with a pretty decent awareness while doing them. And without any reminder and i have NEVER!!!!! done a one in a dream from this habit. it will not carry over. I write down every stinking dream i can remember (1-3 a night) and even write a note that id didn't remember anything when i don't. Ive recently started meditating.
Whats more, i know my dream sign, its my brother. but i still see him and keep carrying on like he's not literally more than 1000 miles away in the physical world... what is wrong with me? how do i remember he's my dream sign? how do i get my habit to carry over into dream land?
why can't i lucid dream..? :((((

As I understand it, two months is nothing. For some folks it's easy and for other folks it takes time. I have them almost every night (and I'm a novice) but some experienced and dedicated lucid dreamers still may only have two or three a month or less.

My advice is to keep on with what yr doing for at least another month, maybe see if you can't identify some other dream signs.

Keep practicing yr meditation (but don't beat yrself up if your mind wanders cause that's what minds do), even just five minutes a day of breath awareness.

Read widely on the topic but don't get too carried away trying a dozen different techniques, the best advice I received was to focus on one or two (like you have been) and give them a good three months before perhaps trying something different.

I recommend Waggoner an McCready's book 'Lucid Dreaming - Plain and Simple'. Also the sister site to this one 'World of Lucid Dreaming .com' has great articles, consise and clear.

And try to relax! Getting too hung up on it, esp giving oneself a hard time, holding the thoughts "there's something wrong with me" or "I can't do this" will only hold one back.

I suspect that it will come if you persist, mindfully and methodically, you will eventually succeed.

Good best of luck. Let me know how it goes!

TheMikirog

Postby TheMikirog » 20 Jun 2017 18:28

I decided to try out WILD for the first time in my life. I tried achieving it for one month. Until last night when I noticed that I might do something wrong.

So I lie in a bed, I try to be as relaxed as possible without moving my limbs. Hypnagoia was weak and I really had no idea when I should kick off my dream. Suddenly a high-pitched beeping got really loud. I knew that it's now the time, so I try to visualise my scene with no success. Then I try to move my limbs. I was in a sleep paralysis. Is this the time? I tried, but I couldn't. I was lying in a bed for around 20 minutes. I should be sleeping after 15 minutes or so. I rarely sleep in a dead corpse pose. First, it's not very comfortable. Two, my spit always keeps going down my throat, so I had to swallow it, so I don't choke myself. That might prolong my attempts. Also even when I'm relaxed, I still have thoughts going to me, especially catchy melodies. Super annoying.

So I had a sleep paralysis, I was really relaxed, I tried visualizing my dream scene, I tried to patiently wait for a cue, I meditated in the park during the day, I had no sleeping issues, I recalled every single non-lucid dream during the night, one month of trying and still nothing. I think I was close, but I have no idea what's holding me back.
Also in my country they don't sell dream supplements and herbs apparently. And I'm worried about the sublimal videos somehow, so I never really tried those. Am I forgetting something? What should I fix?

Richard Griffin

Postby Richard Griffin » 21 Jun 2017 01:45

TheMikirog wrote:I decided to try out WILD for the first time in my life. I tried achieving it for one month. Until last night when I noticed that I might do something wrong.

So I lie in a bed, I try to be as relaxed as possible without moving my limbs. Hypnagoia was weak and I really had no idea when I should kick off my dream. Suddenly a high-pitched beeping got really loud. I knew that it's now the time, so I try to visualise my scene with no success. Then I try to move my limbs. I was in a sleep paralysis. Is this the time? I tried, but I couldn't. I was lying in a bed for around 20 minutes. I should be sleeping after 15 minutes or so. I rarely sleep in a dead corpse pose. First, it's not very comfortable. Two, my spit always keeps going down my throat, so I had to swallow it, so I don't choke myself. That might prolong my attempts. Also even when I'm relaxed, I still have thoughts going to me, especially catchy melodies. Super annoying.

So I had a sleep paralysis, I was really relaxed, I tried visualizing my dream scene, I tried to patiently wait for a cue, I meditated in the park during the day, I had no sleeping issues, I recalled every single non-lucid dream during the night, one month of trying and still nothing. I think I was close, but I have no idea what's holding me back.
Also in my country they don't sell dream supplements and herbs apparently. And I'm worried about the sublimal videos somehow, so I never really tried those. Am I forgetting something? What should I fix?

Hey there,

I'm only new at this, myself, but as I understand it can take persistence longer than a month to get any result, for many folks. Even some experienced Lucid Dreamers might only have them occaisionally. Everyone is different. I'd give it a good three months before trying anything different.

Good best of luck!

You'll get there. 8-)

Dreamoflove

Postby Dreamoflove » 21 Jun 2017 15:50

How to do it fast????? Idk how to lucid dream properly !!!! I try and I am more aware but not lucid yet :cry: :cry: :cry:
-Neon :lol: :o

Richard Griffin

Postby Richard Griffin » 21 Jun 2017 23:15

Dreamoflove wrote:How to do it fast????? Idk how to lucid dream properly !!!! I try and I am more aware but not lucid yet :cry: :cry: :cry:

There's no fast way, really, except some lucky ducks who are naturals... pretty rare, I think. Patience and practice are the keys, i beleive (though I'm still very new at this myself). I recommend reading widely (or podcasts or videos or whatever) to learn as much as you can while you're practicing and be patient.

Dreamoflove

Postby Dreamoflove » 22 Jun 2017 01:10

Richard Griffin wrote:
Dreamoflove wrote:How to do it fast????? Idk how to lucid dream properly !!!! I try and I am more aware but not lucid yet :cry: :cry: :cry:

There's no fast way, really, except some lucky ducks who are naturals... pretty rare, I think. Patience and practice are the keys, I believe (though I'm still very new at this myself). I recommend reading widely (or podcasts or videos or whatever) to learn as much as you can while you're practicing and be patient.

Alright, thank you. oh, and also would you recommend trying to induce sleep paralysis to slip into a lucid dream more easily? I was going to try tonight but I read too much about hallucinations and I'm worried that it will scare me away from lucid dreaming attempts entirely since I'm kinda easily distracte- OOH WHAT WAS THAT?!
but seriously some of the hallucinations seem pretty terrifying, and I don't want to scare myself away :cry: :cry: :o :o
-Neon :lol: :o

Richard Griffin

Postby Richard Griffin » 22 Jun 2017 05:33

Dreamoflove wrote:
Richard Griffin wrote:

There's no fast way, really, except some lucky ducks who are naturals... pretty rare, I think. Patience and practice are the keys, I believe (though I'm still very new at this myself). I recommend reading widely (or podcasts or videos or whatever) to learn as much as you can while you're practicing and be patient.

Alright, thank you. oh, and also would you recommend trying to induce sleep paralysis to slip into a lucid dream more easily? I was going to try tonight but I read too much about hallucinations and I'm worried that it will scare me away from lucid dreaming attempts entirely since I'm kinda easily distracte- OOH WHAT WAS THAT?!
but seriously some of the hallucinations seem pretty terrifying, and I don't want to scare myself away :cry: :cry: :o :o

Oh! I don't know anything about sleep paralysis apart from that it should happen naturally when we dream. I had a false awaking (or something) where I was paralysed, that was very scary!

If yr concerned, maybe don't go there.

As I understand it, regular state checks during waking hours and increasing dream recall and awareness (esp of potential dream signs) through journaling, may be coupled with some pre-sleep intention setting, will lead to an experience of lucidity in most people, even if it can take some time to do so.

Have you read the articles at World of lucid dreaming.com? Lots of good info there. And the podcast Lucid Sage (especially the episodes where he interviews experienced Lucid Dreamers and reseachers) I found very helpful.

Good best of luck!

TheMikirog

Postby TheMikirog » 23 Jun 2017 21:04

Richard Griffin wrote:
TheMikirog wrote:I decided to try out WILD for the first time in my life. I tried achieving it for one month. Until last night when I noticed that I might do something wrong.

Hey there,

I'm only new at this, myself, but as I understand it can take persistence longer than a month to get any result, for many folks. Even some experienced Lucid Dreamers might only have them occaisionally. Everyone is different. I'd give it a good three months before trying anything different.

Good best of luck!

You'll get there. 8-)

But how about the spit choking problem that turns my attention away? I also noticed something else during WILD practices.
When I'm close to reaching lucidity or even a dream picture (I think) then my mind is exhausted and I just want things to be over so I can finally sleep. My patience gets stronger each night, but it only gets more unbearable as the time goes on. Do I really need to be in a dead corpse pose to execute WILD properly?

You could say "patience, patience, patience", but this advice doesn' help since I know it already. What can I do to improve myself?

Richard Griffin

Postby Richard Griffin » 23 Jun 2017 23:31

I can't help ya much. I'm an absolute novice myself. I can say that I've executed wild many times from non-corpse style poses. And I can recommend reading widely. There's plenty of info on line these days including podcasts and videos and many hard copy publications.

Good luck.

Gabriel Haitin

Postby Gabriel Haitin » 17 Aug 2017 16:04

Ok so it was a while ago still cant really explain it i was asleep and suddenly i wake up or so i thought because i opened my eyes i couldent move then my body started movibg on its own i got up ran to my sisters room 10 meters away and knocked the ran back and layed down in my bed and then i could move again i thought it was a drean until 2-3 minutes later my sister cam to my room and asked why i knocked could this be som kind of sleep paralysis also when running there i felt i was really short like under the doorknob of her door

Return to “For Beginners”