Malala and Terrorism

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Re: Malala and Terrorism

Postby Summerlander » 13 Jun 2016 01:01

I definitely recommend Unweaving the Rainbow. I've read Waggoner's book, too, by the way.

There is truth in self-integration via the subconscious. There may also be some truth in the 'awareness' behind the dream---and I say this on the basis that the right hemisphere has exhibited more awareness than an toddler in experiments with split-brain patients.

But then the book gets a little New Age for me towards the end. He seems to promote everything from shared dreaming to real OBEs to predicting earthquakes with the power of his mind better than a seismologist equipped with the right setup.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 13 Jun 2016 01:45

I am enjoying reading the Gateway to Inner Self. I am only on chapter 7, and I already see his New Age/pantheistic tone. I will write a review when I finish it.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Jun 2016 08:33

That would be interesting to read! 8-)

Have you heard about the shit that happened in Orlando?
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 13 Jun 2016 08:56

Yes! As much as I, and I am sure you, wish for everyone to have complete freedom to believe whatever , this terrorism crap is destroying liberty. All the he radicals have to do is pretend to be moderate.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Jun 2016 13:05

Exactly. Pseudo-liberals are trying to pin what Omar Mateen did on bipolar disorder, a volatile relationship, even the public statements made by Donald Trump! There is no justification for such terrorism and let's get realistic here: I know quite a few manic depressives and they don't think about committing atrocities of that magnitude let alone pledge allegiance to ISIS; Mateen's partner herself said she was surprised to find that he was behind the attack; Matten himself called 911 before he executed his plan to declare allegiance to the Islamic State.

I find it comical that people still insist Islam's got nothing to do with it when the Qur'an's passages are quite explicit regarding homosexuals. His father---himself a supporter of the Taliban in Afghanistan---seemed to be more shocked at the fact that his son did it 'during the holy month of Ramadan' than anything else. He shouldn't have done it at any time period. And still people say it is a religion of peace.

Still, people insist on defending religion and always blaming faults in human psychology alone. And people pray for Orlando's victims on books that call for their murder based on their sexual orientation; such beliefs deny our intrinsic nature towards a dangerous ideal.

People are certainly free to believe what they want. But when they act on certain dangerous ideologies to harm others, that's where the line should be drawn. Islam is as bad as the KKK. The only reason why the former is internationally respected is because so many people subscribe to it. It is an ideological plague! It is banned in Angola, where my mother is from, and you don't see any Islamic trouble there as mosques are banned period.

There should come a time in America where citizens have to make a decision: either you pledge allegiance to the United States Constitution or you embrace Sharia Law. (Fact: Muslims embrace no other law but their own.) If you choose Islam, you should be denied the right to bear arms---the Second Amendment no longer applies to you and the reasons are obvious!---and should seriously consider fleeing to Islamic nations. We---as a species---are pussyfooting around the issue here and I'm getting tired of it.

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 14 Jun 2016 00:22

Summerlander wrote:
I find it comical that people still insist Islam's got nothing to do with it.... It is an ideological plague! It is banned in Angola, where my mother is from, and you don't see any Islamic trouble there as mosques are banned period....

There should come a time in America where citizens have to make a decision: either you pledge allegiance to the United States Constitution or you embrace Sharia Law....

We---as a species---are pussyfooting around the issue here and I'm getting tired of it.

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 14 Jun 2016 00:34

Islam has everything to do with it. The disturbing thing to me is that there is not an urgent movement of the moderates to oppose plain meaning of their sacred texts, while clearly defending some kind of allegorical/spirtualized meaning. Moderates should be enraged at the radicals among them and proclaim harsh condemnation of radicals at every religious assembly.

It does not matter what radical Muslims pledge for allegiance. They have no problem with deceit to accomplish their ends.

I am tired of it too. I do appreciate your post, including your original post on this thread. You are trying to make a difference, and you did an excellent job of laying out your case. I wish more people would read this thread. I wish that Muslims would read it, especially, because the source of major problems is within them.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Jun 2016 15:16

Pilgrim wrote:Islam has everything to do with it. The disturbing thing to me is that there is not an urgent movement of the moderates to oppose plain meaning of their sacred texts, while clearly defending some kind of allegorical/spirtualized meaning. Moderates should be enraged at the radicals among them and proclaim harsh condemnation of radicals at every religious assembly.

Either they are scared or they secretly praise the zealots. I don't know if you remember when Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwah against Salman Rushdie. For the longest time, no Muslim spoke out against the so-called spiritual leader and Rushdie had to go into hiding for writing his novel. I found that quite telling ...

Pilgrim wrote:It does not matter what radical Muslims pledge for allegiance. They have no problem with deceit to accomplish their ends.

They have the excuse. Taqiyya (Islamic doctrine of deception). This is why I stress that none of them can be trusted. It's a licence to lie in order to further their cause. And this is the final and only revelation according to them? :roll:

Pilgrim wrote:I am tired of it too. I do appreciate your post, including your original post on this thread. You are trying to make a difference, and you did an excellent job of laying out your case. I wish more people would read this thread. I wish that Muslims would read it, especially, because the source of major problems is within them.

It's a shame that our conversation here wouldn't even be enough for some of them ...

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 15 Jun 2016 04:26

I might mention that I am aware of the horrific history of Christianity from the conversion of Constantine (about 325 AD) that resulted in combining the Church and State. Forced baptisms and such were not based on personal choice and faith. Inquisitions and the power of the sword of the state were not authentic Christianity.

For actual followers of the words of Christ, the teaching is to love our enemies, not kill our enemies.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 15 Jun 2016 19:58

“Education” is too general a word to prescribe it to solve any problem. A Ph.D. in Islamic Studies is not an education, in my opinion. I do think that if Malala had said, “Secular, cosmopolitan education with emphasis on science and objective fact kills terrorism,” she would be right. The way Malala meant it, as we know, is that all those terrorists simply lack an education in what Islam is really all about. They’re misguided. Now, that’s bullshit. They’re all either Islamic scholars themselves or the unbearable hand of them.

The rise of anti-liberal values, particularly in the Left, is truly alarming. The creepiest example of it was when Leftists condemned Charlie Hebdo for drawing derogatory pictures of the prophet instead of the fanatics who stormed the magazine and massacred twelve people. It was the same thing with Salman Rushdie. You can go up to one of these people and ask, “Do you think violence is ever a necessary response to a piece of literature or satire?” and they will say, “No, but…” and then spout a ton of regressive nonsense about how you can’t insult other cultures. Fuck that. Fuck your culture.

I’m totally with all of you in realizing that Islamism is the source. But I think it would be tremendously misguided to start singling out Muslims as responsible for any of these acts of violence. To do so would be to use the same erroneous collectivist thinking that the regressive Left uses. I’m a classical liberal—I believe in the autonomy of the human being in a society and the inviolable rights of the individual. No matter how bad terrorism gets, to give in to our fear and surrender ourselves to an authoritarian/fascist government that promises to keep us safe is a mistake. The best response to terrorism is to not flinch. Don’t buy into the media feeding frenzy and get yourself caught up in the wave of panic—remember that human beings are reactive in nature. Though what happened in Orlando is of course horrible, hundreds of thousands of people die each day and no one cares.

Benjamin Franklin: “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

But I do think that Obama’s refusal to even mention Islam as the prime mover of the violence is some of the worst statesmanship he’s displayed during his term. His reasoning is that if we start talking about Islam, we will begin to radicalize even more Muslims, legitimizing ISIS’s narrative and vilifying the West. As Sam Harris has pointed out, if this is the case, then the problem is far worse than any of us imagine. A good statesman shouldn’t lie to his people in order to prevent future violence. Machiavellians don’t belong in a social democracy.
Well said.

Return to “Off-Topic”