Does the Soul Exist?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Is there a soul?

Humans have souls, but animals and other living things do not
6%
Both animals and humans have souls
38%
The soul does not exist
38%
Other
19%

Total votes: 16

Summerlander

Re: Does the Soul Exist?

Postby Summerlander » 31 Oct 2014 10:02

LMAO! :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Old Traveler

Postby Old Traveler » 03 Nov 2014 02:19

First tell me what a Soul really is. SHOW me. Then we can
speculate better about it. Words like "soul" "spirit" " consciousness"
"Ka" are all interesting stories by themselves.
Old Traveler

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 03 Nov 2014 02:56

Yes. Show.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

R99

Postby R99 » 16 Nov 2014 16:07

First show me some air. :D
"A curious mind cannot be afraid of Unknown. It searches for the answers untill the end of time."

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 16 Nov 2014 16:59

:lol: It's confirmed. R99 has the scientific education of a 3rd grader.

*sigh* Time to give a rudimentary science lecture...

Our science has advanced beyond what our homo sapien perception via the senses can give us. The existence of atoms and molecules and subatomic particles are all embraced not because we can see them with our eyes, but because their existence can be deducted with various complicated instruments.

As for air: We actually can visibly observe the effects air has on the world. We can look at fire and explosions and know that in the absence of air, neither can occur. We can observe a windy field, seeing the grass tendrils and trees swaying and being ripped back and forth by the violent passage of air molecules. Many things can be observed by the naked eye--that is why mankind knew about the concept of air long before science allowed us to genuinely study it--but now science allows us to go beyond that.

Physical matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. The reason we are not dead right now--the reason we are not in a vacuum is because we are surrounded by air; we are living in an atmosphere, a reservoir of gaseous molecules that allow terrestrial organisms to respirate. Air is matter. Try to create any vessel that won't collapse without air in it. Air has measurable pressure it can exert (this goes back to our wind idea previously). We can also measure air's weight by using a balloon. Here's a science experiment I would like you to conduct: take a balloon and measure it; then fill it up with air; measure it again; subtract your first measurement from your last. That is the weight of the air you filled it up with.

For further reading in elementary science, R99, I would reference a man named Otto Von Guericke, who did studies on air in 1654.

Now... where is your soul? I'm not even asking for direct observation or empirical evidence. I'll let that slide because I know you could never produce some. Let's just see your highly thought-out, sound reasoning for its existence. There is none of that either.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

buildit

Postby buildit » 16 Nov 2014 18:28

All I can give you in a physical world is what if's and doubt for the ability of science to ever truly measure something that like dark matter is not of this dimension or universe. After all science has now theorized we are part of a multiverse in order to avoid intelligent design. This is because the calculated universal constant is so precise that the probability of it "just happening" is infinitely small.
So again, just because science hasn't discovered it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Hell, half of science is spent looking for and discovering the things we don't know exist. :roll: But I'll let you go explain to them that they can stop trying to discover new things, because if it hasn't been found yet, it just doesn't exist. :lol:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 16 Nov 2014 19:22

Your pretentious, condescending eye-rolls are, as ever, appreciated, buildit. :)

Science does not assume anything, as you believers do. You believers are the only ones who claim to know things you do not know. You make unfounded claims about the nature of reality. You say that you know souls exist, whereas science actually makes an effort to find evidence--and we have found none. You claim that you know I am an abiotic, ethereal ghost somehow residing within my biotic, physical tissue, even though you have no evidence for it.

If tomorrow there will be a discovery about human physiology that indicates the existence of a soul, scientists would eagerly and voraciously jump all over it. They would thoroughly and unbiasedly pour investigation into it, and if the discovery proved itself to be true and its implications profound... well, that discovery would be viewed as one of the greatest in human history. It would give birth to a whole new and uncharted body of science.

Now, let's say the opposite happens. Let's say something is discovered that totally and unabashedly disproves the existence of the soul, without a shadow of a doubt. Well, you believers would immediately reject it without any further questioning. This is the nature of belief. Of faith.

The soul was mankind's first, floundering attempt at psychology. It was what we used to explain and rationalize emotion, dreams, intuition, art, et cetera. It was our first attempt, and it was formulated at a time when neurology didn't even exist. It's time we let it go and stopped thinking that we need a soul to somehow glorify and give meaning to our existence.

We don't.

Well said.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 16 Nov 2014 19:32

On the subject of air...
One of my favorite Bach pieces:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rrVDATvUitA

Well said.

buildit

Postby buildit » 17 Nov 2014 07:32

See DSXchain you didn't need me to tell you how you feel, your prejudice is already well intact.

Just for you (eyeroll) :roll:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

R99

Postby R99 » 17 Nov 2014 15:27

deschainXIX wrote::lol: It's confirmed. R99 has the scientific education of a 3rd grader.

*sigh* Time to give a rudimentary science lecture...

Our science has advanced beyond what our homo sapien perception via the senses can give us. The existence of atoms and molecules and subatomic particles are all embraced not because we can see them with our eyes, but because their existence can be deducted with various complicated instruments.

As for air: We actually can visibly observe the effects air has on the world. We can look at fire and explosions and know that in the absence of air, neither can occur. We can observe a windy field, seeing the grass tendrils and trees swaying and being ripped back and forth by the violent passage of air molecules. Many things can be observed by the naked eye--that is why mankind knew about the concept of air long before science allowed us to genuinely study it--but now science allows us to go beyond that.

Physical matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. The reason we are not dead right now--the reason we are not in a vacuum is because we are surrounded by air; we are living in an atmosphere, a reservoir of gaseous molecules that allow terrestrial organisms to respirate. Air is matter. Try to create any vessel that won't collapse without air in it. Air has measurable pressure it can exert (this goes back to our wind idea previously). We can also measure air's weight by using a balloon. Here's a science experiment I would like you to conduct: take a balloon and measure it; then fill it up with air; measure it again; subtract your first measurement from your last. That is the weight of the air you filled it up with.

For further reading in elementary science, R99, I would reference a man named Otto Von Guericke, who did studies on air in 1654.

Now... where is your soul? I'm not even asking for direct observation or empirical evidence. I'll let that slide because I know you could never produce some. Let's just see your highly thought-out, sound reasoning for its existence. There is none of that either.

U R RIGHT, i am no expert on science section. i cant produce a scientific proof. i am not smart , but thats not meant i am stupid. i dont have time to dig around and study. i am a hard working man. i spent 10 hours of my day working to attain a piece of paper that had an imaginary value. u think science is complete. its just a medium to understand whats happening to certain things within human grasp. can u please explain what is an atom.? did u ever seen it? as far as i know science failed to show proof, still they believing it. whats ur thought.?
"A curious mind cannot be afraid of Unknown. It searches for the answers untill the end of time."

Return to “Off-Topic”