Organic Food

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Re: Organic Food

Postby Summerlander » 21 Jan 2018 16:58

Thanks for recommending other alternatives, Red. I might just vape in order to stop smoking this time around. ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Jan 2018 01:01

We choose our friends, but we don't choose our family. Best to stay away from people that are toxic regardless.

I lucid dream a few times a month. Mostly DILD's where I'm just semi aware I'm dreaming, but I had a WILD or two as well since November. Not necessarily from fully awake to a dream, but when a dream ends and I don't fully wake up, but instead transition into a new dream, usually extremely vivid, and starting from my "dream bed". Odd how a tripped out of body like experience actually makes me feel more collected and calm for the rest of the day.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Jan 2018 02:12

I know what you mean. There's a kind of beauty and poetry in such oneiric experiences. They can have a profound effect on us.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 22 Jan 2018 07:17

HAGART wrote:We choose our friends, but we don't choose our family. Best to stay away from people that are toxic regardless.

I lucid dream a few times a month. Mostly DILD's where I'm just semi aware I'm dreaming, but I had a WILD or two as well since November. Not necessarily from fully awake to a dream, but when a dream ends and I don't fully wake up, but instead transition into a new dream, usually extremely vivid, and starting from my "dream bed". Odd how a tripped out of body like experience actually makes me feel more collected and calm for the rest of the day.

:lol: I just had a dream involving all my uncles. I recorded it before having my lucid dream today. I posted my LD here:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&p=70293#p70293

Anyway,here's the non-LD that occurred before my unintentional WBTB:

Creamy Family Dine in (Yes,that's the title of my dream. :lol: )
I was eating at the dining table with 3 of my uncles,my grandfather,my mom,and my sister. we were eating my sister's special creamy chicken mushroom recipe. Uncle R (my toxic uncle) was seated right beside me to the left. I recall trying to pick out which piece of chicken to get. They were all huge and looked like this:
https://sparkpeo.hs.llnwd.net/e1/resize/630m620/e2/guid/Oven-Roasted-Chicken-Leg-Quarters/1aa45583-5e72-427b-b4b9-a4bc992343b3.jpg
(I think you call these "Chicken leg quarters" :D )

While trying to pick out which piece to get(I'm a greedy bastard who usually goes for the biggest and juiciest piece. :twisted: ),my grandpa interrupted me and pointed out the piece he wants. Every time I had my eye on a particular piece,he would point to it. This really pissed me off...until I found out that he wasn't actually choosing a piece for himself,but rather,he was recommending the largest and juiciest piece for me to have! :o (This is totally in character for my grandpa btw,he is very fond of me. :D ).

Anyway,I took the piece I wanted,took some white rice,and poured the creamy mushroom soup all over it. Yum! :D
Uncle R took notice of my serving size,and tried to lecture me to not overeat. which needless to say,irritated the hell out of me :evil:
but I chose to just ignore him.

Uncle A's dog tried to slither through my legs(like what cats do to people/owners they like)and I was trying to make him stop,because this dog is usually smelly and dirty,and I didn't want the dog to rub himself on me! :x

While this was happening,my mom suddenly started a discussion with everyone about how she loves me and my sister,but the one thing she doesn't like about us is that we are lazy and don't strive to be very successful. (This isn't true for my sister really,she's hardworking and competent. it is only I who is the lazy one,much as I hate to admit it. :lol: )
I was mildly annoyed by it,but I didn't pay too much attention. Sometimes our mothers have an annoying tendency to want us to mold us into their vision of a "successful good person."
I know that she means well,but often times their vision of what we should be is in direct conflict with what we know we want. (I don't believe in Christianity anymore. I'm sorry Ma,I accept that our views regarding religion is different,but you have to learn and live with the fact that I don't agree with the family beliefs anymore! sorry,just had to get that out of my chest.)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 23 Jan 2018 19:57

Summerlander wrote:I know what you mean. There's a kind of beauty and poetry in such oneiric experiences. They can have a profound effect on us.

The thing is, we are not logical. We think with analogies with an analogic mind. In a lucid dream our brains fire on all cylinders and sort out all our emotions and confusion by comparisons and metaphors. It's a balanced state of mind between cognitive logic, and our subjective memories and emotions. That sums it up pretty much. But it's a very special state (40Hz right?) which nothing (no drug or waking life experience) has ever compared to in my full life's experience. (I have to include all my dreams as part of my life and what made me who I am. They are equally a life experience as anything else I ever 'did')

As for DK's dream. I don't interpret much, but like to add a few comments.
RedKryptonite wrote:I'm a greedy bastard who usually goes for the biggest and juiciest piece.

At least you're not Cartman who only eats the KFC skin, leaving others to suffer with batterless chicken.

Nice to see a dream character, (grandpa), on your side. Then you have your other uncle nagging you. I feel these truly are the basis of the angel and devil archetypes on our shoulders and you are attributing it to them. We all do. We have people in our lives that make us feel a certain way, always at odds. I think it could be any variable, and I have family I relate to more than others too, who I just know are on the same page and others who aren't, some against me, some for me.
(EDIT: I'll try and explain this better. I mean, those people in your dream are all YOU. The voice that says, go ahead and eat what you want, compared to the one that puts you down for being fat or lazy, is all in your head actually. So what I mean is, the feelings and thoughts come first, before the visuals and events of the dream. (Again this is a chicken or egg dilemma worthy of debate, kind of like nature vs. nurture. I bet it's a combination of both, but not sure which is stronger, and perhaps it varies from dream to dream. Onironic Science is pretty much an oxymoron. But deep down, our psychological blue prints are pretty much clones of each other.)

It's unfortunate when we realize eventually, that our own mothers are not necessarily for us, and you have to grow up and disagree.

One last note of detail:
RedKryptonite wrote:Uncle R (my toxic uncle) was seated right beside me to the left.

I've kept track of whether people or events in my dreams happen to the left or right of me. I think it's significant, much how our eyes will look left or right when we imagine the past or future, optimism pessimism, and you can tell what others are thinking and catch them in lies by looking at where their eyes and attention goes, even whether up or down. I feel it's significant in dreams, when we turn left or right, or things appear to the left or right, and maybe it has to do with left or right brains, I dunno! I never looked through me journal to find a connection, and maybe it's been studied before, but it's a hunch of mine that it's worth noting in dream journals. In the future, I may be able to see patterns.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 25 Jan 2018 04:43

@HAGART
Have you ever tried talking to your subconscious or try to access past forgotten memories in your lucid dreams? The idea fascinates me but its not something I've ever tried before. If I'm not mistaken,Rebecca confirms it as a yes.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Jan 2018 07:02

Past forgotten memories. Hmmm. :|

How would one be able to verify that the content revealed through dreaming is a lost memory when memory itself is so unreliably precarious? How could we rule out the common false memory syndrome or the déjà vu brain glitch? :ugeek:

The only way to verify the authenticity of new mental material coming to the fore would be to revisit the places where you think your brain first generated the conscious information relevant to what was happening at the time. You'd have to play detective. :geek:

Not saying it's impossible, but I'm not so convinced about successfully retrieving lost memories from the subconscious via lucid dreaming. I suspect we may stumble upon accurate information by lucidly scanning the deepest recesses of our minds, like a lucky dip. :)

Retrieving lost conceptions is never guaranteed with every attempt. A course in mnemonics could help lucid dreamers hone their retrieving skills and home in on those conceptions evocative of nostalgia. 8-)

Perhaps scents can revive memories of people and places long forgotten. Who knows. :)

- Padmasambhava

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 27 Jan 2018 08:14

Summerlander wrote:Past forgotten memories. Hmmm. :|

How would one be able to verify that the content revealed through dreaming is a lost memory when memory itself is so unreliably precarious? How could we rule out the common false memory syndrome or the déjà vu brain glitch? :ugeek:

The only way to verify the authenticity of new mental material coming to the fore would be to revisit the places where you think your brain first generated the conscious information relevant to what was happening at the time. You'd have to play detective. :geek:

Not saying it's impossible, but I'm not so convinced about successfully retrieving lost memories from the subconscious via lucid dreaming. I suspect we may stumble upon accurate information by lucidly scanning the deepest recesses of our minds, like a lucky dip. :)

Retrieving lost conceptions is never guaranteed with every attempt. A course in mnemonics could help lucid dreamers hone their retrieving skills and home in on those conceptions evocative of nostalgia. 8-)

Perhaps scents can revive memories of people and places long forgotten. Who knows. :)

I believe I once read this on Marc Macyoung's website,on how a construction worker under hypnosis or hypnotic suggestion was able to accurately recall the number of bricks he used for a brick wall he built several years ago. I've looked long and hard for that article,but unfortunately I haven't had any luck at all.

As you've said,this could very well be a false memory,but if this is accurate and hypnosis could somehow allow you to access past forgotten memories,then its definitely not far fetched to say that lucid dreaming could allow that as well. The topic intrigues me enough that I've decided I'm going to message Marc himself for clarification,I'll get back to you on this if he has anything interesting to say.

BTW you probably already know this,but interestingly enough,hypnosis is actually real(some LD techniques such as MILD are based on it). Its just not the superhuman ability that fiction often depicts it as. It will definitely not protect you from a mugger/violent attacker nor will it give you the ability to seduce any woman you want(despite what PUA scammers peddle). However,here's some very clear(though unfortunate)demonstrations of what hypnosis is actually capable of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_n7tGnK0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1nzD-n25Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

All 3 videos are about Martial arts frauds/scammers teaching bullshit known as "No-touch martial arts." Arguably the worst scam of the martial arts industry. However,look at the poor students. They believe the teachings so deeply that the no-touch BS is ACTUALLY WORKING ON THEM! They aren't pretending,they are fainting for real! :shock:

So yeah,this shit would never work in a self-defense situation,but its a powerful demonstration of real life hypnosis. Fortunately,the 3rd video shows one of these "masters" getting their ass handed to them by a legitimate fighter. :D (Although its possible that particular old guy wasn't really a scammer,but another victim who became a master,believing that what he knows is the truth. if this is indeed the case,that event must be a world-shattering event for him,but it needed to be done. Hopefully he along with his students have realized the truth after that.)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Jan 2018 09:11

Even with hypnotism, it is all about mnemonics. I don't doubt the construction worker's story. But notice how such stories are emphasised with one-sided interpretations. The fella got the number of bricks right because hypnosis enabled him to accurately recall the building of the wall---it couldn't be that the brain's mnemonic reconstruction of said event stumbled upon the exact number!

Bearing in mind that every time one recalls something the memory of original events is always a reconstruction, couldn't a false memory get something right by accident? What if he got the number of bricks right but the colour wrong or vice versa? What then? You see what I'm getting at? :)

What is the truth? Did he mnemonically retain the right number or did his brain merely hit the jackpot in recreating what the mind believes was lost? What I'm having trouble with is reconciling the fact that the subconscious mind possesses a mercurial abstractionism with the notion that it can be on the money with 100% certainty and accuracy.

We are talking about a recent version of the brain---with all its alterations---reviving old neuronal connections and activity without the initial sensory input that gave rise to the original experience.

You may believe that you are reliving an experience, but ... are you really reliving it? :mrgreen:

I'm sorry for being philosophically sceptical about this. That's what happens when I have a non-organic banana milkshake! :D

- Padmasambhava

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 27 Jan 2018 10:05

Summerlander wrote:I'm sorry for being philosophically sceptical about this. That's what happens when I have a non-organic banana milkshake! :D

Its cool man. I like it that way. While WOLD is for the most part,one of those websites for "peaceful tea parties",I invite heated but healthy debate. It keeps us honest and prevents us from falling for our own delusions and misconceptions. We may be oneironauts,but we are also scientific people. ;)

In fact,I just found an article that supports what you're saying:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1338671/Hypnosis-does-not-help-accurate-memory-recall-says-study.html

So yeah,hypnosis is by no means full-proof(I don't think I've ever implied that it is)but it remains an interesting tool nonetheless.

Return to “Off-Topic”