Existential Rant Place

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Re: Existential Rant Place

Postby Summerlander » 11 Mar 2018 04:04

Erm ...

Did the universe create itself? :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 11 Mar 2018 14:56

yes, it appears that the universe is self inductive and that life is of the same state.

by the way, I recently resolved the mechanism for gravity...that's probably not so profound for some learned observers; but, for me that's quite an accomplishment.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Mar 2018 14:44

Try the next challenge: figure out how quantum gravity works and formulate your TOE on solid grounds for me. ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 12 Mar 2018 21:30

I have a theory that our universe isn't really the only universe, and multiverses have existed for countless years.

Our universe I believe was formed as the result of another universe's death. I am thinking new universes are formed each time another one dies somewhat in a similar way new stars are formed each time an old one dies.
Another theory I have is that universes themselves have been evolving all along, and our universe has most likely come a very long way since some of the very first universes. I believe the first universes were unable to sustain life at all, and some 20-50 universes ago, they attempted to sustain life, but just weren't quite able to yet. Just like our earth, universes evolve further each time one dies and a new one is formed.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Mar 2018 00:52

lucidé wrote:I have a theory that our universe isn't really the only universe, and multiverses have existed for countless years.

This is quite probable, actually, and the latest in quantum theory shows how much the Everett interpretation is reinforced by leaps and bounds. Experiments already show hints for the possibility that our universe arose from another characterised by an inconceivable geometry which hypothetically preceded the Big Bang. It's becoming quite feasible that our Bang is just an insignificant blip in the multiversal hyperspace.

Perhaps there was no beginning because absolute nothingness is an impossibility (or great improbability). Doesn't make sense? Tough shit. You only have a hominid brain!

Or perhaps there was a beginning of everything---a Major Cusp which precedes the Big Bang and happened so far in space and time that all traces of that spark have long faded. This means that we'll never surmount this mystery. The mystery of our existence and reality itself. The Cause. Can us mere humans ever understand it? Only time will tell.

I suspect we'll go extinct before we suss this out plus the other great puzzle: consciousness. :twisted:

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 16 Mar 2018 05:34

There was probably no beginning, you are probably right. But also, there is also no end either. Even if the existence of one universe is temporary, the existence of a multiverse is infinite.
I am actually wondering if along with the beginning of the multiverses, the evolution of consciousness and intelligence began. While maybe it didn't exist within the first universes as evolution is a very slow process, I theorize consciousness and intelligence are slowly evolving with each universe that is formed. New things besides consciousness and intelligence might also be found in universes in the future as well, because I theorize the evolution of universes will not ever stop, and I can't even begin to comprehend what kind of things those are.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Mar 2018 03:36

The world we see, in our local part of the universe, is weird and mysterious enough. Imagine other realms of existence where the laws of nature are completely unrecognisable to us ... :shock:

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 17 Mar 2018 05:57

There might be such. The laws of nature might have been completely different before our universe, and might be completely different after ours

Onto a very hot subject that is going on throughout the US, and I really want to know users opinion on this: There's a political debate going on, because a scientist fed a puppy to a snapping turtle. The non religious science oriented students didn't seem to have a problem with this, however, a bunch of students from various religions in the state are fighting against him because they say what he did was morally wrong. I don't like the idea he did that much either, although I have a much bigger complaint than that. That teacher owned an invasive species, and he wasn't being very careful about owning that invasive species, so in the end, the science community had to kill it to prevent it from doing harm to the environment. If you look less at the morality of what happened, and look at what kind of serious damage that teacher might have caused if his pet got loose, I find it a bit more serious from that perspective. Already science is really having their hands full, because homo sapiens release invasive species into the wild.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Mar 2018 03:41

I've been listening to Sam Harris's Waking Up podcast, a particular episode entitled 'What is and what is not' with Rebecca Goldstein and Max Tegmark guesting, and the Platonic mathematician spoke about modal realism (not to be confused with cosmic pluralism) at the moderating behest of Sam Harris.

Tegmark expounded that people shouldn't dismiss scientific ideas like the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics because they seem 'too weird'. (Indeed, the notion that there is an infinite number of possible worlds in existence is pretty hard to swallow!)

That's when Goldstein mentioned the philosopher David Kellogg Lewis as having been a well-knit proponent of modal realism; I looked him up and sure enough this modal realist wrote an intriguing book called On the Plurality of Worlds---to me, this title is more reminiscent of a similarly titled famous tome on evolutionary biology by Charles Darwin than, say, the outdated, quixotically optimistic and quasi-teleological musings of Gottfried Leibniz on the nature of our world.

Below is an apposite lecture by David Wallace on the quantum theory behind the many-worlds proffer. What happens if we empirically confirm the megaversal multiplicity of worlds in reality? This is what Wallace explores ...

https://youtu.be/2OoRdyn2M9A

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”