Dreams aren't just happening in your brain

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
DrLysergic

Re: Dreams aren't just happening in your brain

Postby DrLysergic » 13 Mar 2018 05:48

Sorry, buddy. They are just happening in your brain. It's a cool theory, but that's all it is, a theory.
Sing with me, sing for the years. Sing for the laughter and sing for the tears. Sing with me, just for today.

Kind of comic how a kid from DC would Marvel at his superheroes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdTW6nzWbTE

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 13 Mar 2018 06:03

A game theory.

I couldn't help myself. I watch that game theory channel, and I think the game theory channel is so cool. They say, but it's just a theory, a game theory at the end of each of their videos. For example how they believe that Rosalina is Princess Peach's daughter and that Princess Peach married Luigi. Or that Link is in a dying dream in Majora's Mask.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

DawnXEye11

Postby DawnXEye11 » 13 Mar 2018 16:47

lucidé wrote:A game theory.

I couldn't help myself. I watch that game theory channel, and I think the game theory channel is so cool. They say, but it's just a theory, a game theory at the end of each of their videos. For example how they believe that Rosalina is Princess Peach's daughter and that Princess Peach married Luigi. Or that Link is in a dying dream in Majora's Mask.

Lol The funny thing is when a theory turns out to be right. I dont watch game theorys but sometimes i watch cartoon theory videos that pop up on my reccommended list. :lol:
Lucid dreaming will always be apart of me that I cherish. Even If I'm different.
【☆Have a sweet dream☆】(●UωU).zZZ

Dream_Hacker

Postby Dream_Hacker » 14 Mar 2018 22:12

Summerlander wrote:Since the original poster is making a claim, I'd like to see what evidence he thinks he has that might sway me. Until then, I see no reason to believe that dreams are not the product of brains.

I didn't really make the post to have an in-depth conversation trying to prove my statements, I was simply looking for others who may have a similar open mind about the topic as for to expand on ideas outside of empirical science conclusions without the burden of having to prove such things immediately. This ability to converse on topics without needing to constantly prove its truth is helpful to develop new ideas and theories easier. Even if they may be incorrect in the long run, those conversation still could lead to other truths and expand awareness of the dream realm. You never know what you'll come up with :) and it's fun... I could definitely put together a slew of scientific articles that connect to what I'm saying, which I will do if you are interested in at least seeing where I'm coming from, but I unfortunately do not have the time in this exact instance to do so.

If dreams exist solely in the brain then there is absolutely no explanation for shared dreams. Dreaming the same dream as another and interacting with the other within the dream then waking up and both having exact memory of the dream event. I've had limited shared dreams but I have had them. This is nothing I could really prove to you so you'll either have to take my word on it or not. If you do believe me though I'd be interesting in hearing how that would fit into your belief that dreams happen solely within your brain. If you don't believe me then you must not also believe lucidé who said:

lucidé wrote:As far as "dream meshing" is concerned, I've had experiences with that in the past, although it gets very crazy the ways I ended up having experiences with that. One time my friend and I got in trouble with our parents just for attempting dream meshing in a lucid dream, and seeing a midnight showing of a movie at cinemark in our lucid dreams.

Along with many others who have made similar claims.

DawnXEye11 wrote:However, you can have some proof of the red car being in your dream. We have red cars in waking life so its possible to dream about them. But even if red cars didnt exist and you dreamt about it, it wouldn't be impossible. Itd be beyond the understanding of most current human knowledge but it'd be a start.

You can very easily dream of things that do not exist in waking life so just because they exist here would not prove I dreamed about it last night.... I have read about that tech you were talking about and it definitely is very interesting. But until that tech is fully developed, if it can be (which I have faith it can be), there is no way to conclusively prove I dreamed of a red car last night. If I tell you about my dream from last night and I say there was a red car in it, you will just have to trust me. I can't prove in anyway to you that I'm not lying not only about the red car but the whole dream I explain to you. When someone tells you a dream there is a level of trust that must be had to not think they're just completely making everything up.

DawnXEye11

Postby DawnXEye11 » 15 Mar 2018 02:01

Dream_Hacker wrote:

You can very easily dream of things that do not exist in waking life so just because they exist here would not prove I dreamed about it last night.... I have read about that tech you were talking about and it definitely is very interesting. But until that tech is fully developed, if it can be (which I have faith it can be), there is no way to conclusively prove I dreamed of a red car last night. If I tell you about my dream from last night and I say there was a red car in it, you will just have to trust me. I can't prove in anyway to you that I'm not lying not only about the red car but the whole dream I explain to you. When someone tells you a dream there is a level of trust that must be had to not think they're just completely making everything up.

It's good that you read about the tech. I hope they succeed too.
I was looking at it from a perspective of probability. I may not be able to prove that you dreamed it "last night" but whose to say that you didn't dream it if they do exist and especially since we do see red cars. (That's assuming that you are able to see them where you are) I'm using inductive reasoning. So yes, there is a level of trust but even more so that they exist or are present.

For example,
Dream Hacker saw a dozen red cars today at a car show. Therefore, dream hacker will have a dream about a red car tonight.

This doesn't make it true but I'm making a inference based on what happened during that day.Combined with my knowledge that the mind can reflect what occurred during the day in the dream.
Lucid dreaming will always be apart of me that I cherish. Even If I'm different.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 15 Mar 2018 06:49

Dream_Hacker wrote:

If dreams exist solely in the brain then there is absolutely no explanation for shared dreams. Dreaming the same dream as another and interacting with the other within the dream then waking up and both having exact memory of the dream event. I've had limited shared dreams but I have had them. This is nothing I could really prove to you so you'll either have to take my word on it or not. If you do believe me though I'd be interesting in hearing how that would fit into your belief that dreams happen solely within your brain. If you don't believe me then you must not also believe lucidé who said:

Dream meshing isn't shared dreaming. Dream meshing is when lucid dreamers intentionally control their lucid dreams to be as similar to each others' as possible and then they compare symbols with each other. And there is a form of low probability dream meshing where users manage to match a password or a symbol they didn't know about in a dream, which can coincidentally occur in the other person's lucid dream from their perspective. Has happened to me and my friends many times, but then, I just had a gold luck streak when it came to the laws of chance, and anyone who says that someone cannot be lucky or unlucky multiple times in a row should look up the "gambler's fallacy"

I am still a bit amazed that how my friend and I were somehow able to pull off mega lottery odds with the dream meshing that night, however. Kind of amusing he and I not only were able to match the exact same movie, but both ended up spying.

I've had some weird experiences happen in the past with some of my lucid dreams I haven't been able to completely figure out, and I just prefer not to talk about them.

[/quote]

Did you know one time when my friends and I were flying through space while dream meshing, we all found a diamond planet. It had to have been the biggest diamond we ever laid our eyes on even in a lucid dream. You probably know if we told others we found a diamond planet how many people would respond to something like that, correct? So it was just something that my friends and I had fun in discovering even if it probably wasn't real (later confirmed to be).
Not everyone is going to believe you when you talk about (lucid) dreaming. Some of my family and friends accuse me of lying when I say I can control my dreams, saying it is impossible. I believe lucid dreams are in the same category as art or multimedia. Some people will never understand it no matter how many times you try to draw it out for them, while there will be critics that hate your style no matter what. Just learn to enjoy the art style of your (lucid) dreams, because even if others cannot understand it, the one who designed it will always understand their work.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Mar 2018 00:15

I'm one of those members who likes to bring a little scepticism to the table. My scientific perusals persuade me towards physicalism whereby unfounded claims with a supernatural tinge appear untenable and absurd. Consciousness extending beyond the body and surviving physical death? An afterlife? Not likely. But there you have it. :geek:

Lucid dreaming is an amazing experience. We can derive artistic and poetic insights from it; we can stumble upon a sense of the numinous, the divine; we can also get realistic illusions of leaving our bodies to visit other realms---sometimes these experiences can seem precognitive or telepathic!

But nothing that can't be explained by coincidence, confirmation bias and our tendency to make associations. Lucide's gambler's fallacy is quite pertinent to the matter and says a lot! If these jackpots never happened then it would be weird. 8-)

Yesterday I posted the following about professor Stephen Hawking and watched people creaming their pants:

'Stephen Hawking was born exactly on the 300th anniversary of the death of Galileo Galilei. Stephen Hawking and Einstein both died at the age of 76, and Stephen Hawking died on the date of the birth of Einstein; March 14. March 14 also happens to be Pi Day.'

Awww ... the cosmic significance ... :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 16 Mar 2018 05:55

Summerlander wrote:
But nothing that can't be explained by coincidence, confirmation bias and our tendency to make associations. Lucide's gambler's fallacy is quite pertinent to the matter and says a lot! If these jackpots never happened then it would be weird. 8-)

For those who believe my luck with my lucid dreams was supernatural, examine on something else I studied during the times I played a Pokemon game before you believe the luck I had was impossible:
I played a Pokemon game with thousands of other Pokemon players. One player managed to acquire 150 shiny Pokemon within a few months. The odds of even getting one of these creatures was exactly 1/8,192. Some of these players accused this player of "cheating" and many didn't believe it was possible. But yes really, this player was just really lucky with the laws of probability to get all of those creatures.
Through the above example, in some cases, the laws of probability in some cases might just make one user really lucky. Most perceived supernatural abilities are actually based off of gambler's luck, and even if they succeed most of the time, it is really just the odds being in that person's favor. There are ways to completely prevent probability based luck, and James Randi I believe figured out a way on how to completely reduce probability based luck all the way down to 0% so luck can no longer a factor.

And I was inspired by both those scientists because both coped with a form of disability and were still brilliant. One had a form of autism, and and the other was paralyzed. Sometimes even from a broken body can come the greatest of minds.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Mar 2018 12:21

Quite true.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DawnXEye11

Postby DawnXEye11 » 16 Mar 2018 18:07

I think probability is important to keep in mind but also that luck is not based off of everything. Sometimes there is a hidden truth how something works. So like lucide says dream meshing isn't shared dreaming. However, if shared dreaming did exist and there was a way to go about it that showed you the evidence a significant amount of times than i don't see why not to believe in it. But this thread isn't about collecting evidence as the OP mentioned.

Return to “Off-Topic”