Survey about lucid dreaming and meditation

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
luz2019

Survey about lucid dreaming and meditation

Postby luz2019 » 18 Mar 2019 10:53

Hi,

I am a student from the Philipps University of Marburg, Germany. I am writing my master thesis about lucid dreaming. Therefor I created an online survey to investigate what factors may contribute to lucid experiences. I would be delighted if you would like to participate and help me (and science) for a better understanding of lucid dreaming. I had thos one online before but was excluding videogamers. This time videogamers may participate!

Due to methodological issues, I am only looking for participants who

-never received a diagnose of a sleeping disorder, psychiatric disorder or neurological disorder
-can recall three dreams per week or more (no matter if lucid or not)

At the beginning of the survey, I will ask you about these criteria. Please do not feel bad, if you cannot participate because of these reasons.

The survey will take about 10-20 minutes, and you will have the chance to win one out of three 20$ Amazon vouchers (or equivalent to your currency) if you completed it.

The link: https://www.soscisurvey.de/luz2019/

Thank you very much for your interest and participation!

Kind regards,
Stephan

luz2019

Re: Survey about lucid dreaming and meditation

Postby luz2019 » 08 May 2019 15:29

Anyone else wants to participate? :)

DrG

Postby DrG » 09 May 2019 16:19

I can't participate but would love to read the finished product! Just a few thoughts on the exclusion criteria from the perspective of a healthcare student from the US:

Never receiving a psychiatric diagnosis is not the same as having no disorder. Higher income countries have much higher rates of mental health diagnosis, which likely has a lot to do with an increased desire to treat underlying conditions. In contrast, poorer countries have lower rates of mental health diagnosis, owing to mental health being less accepted as something that needs a doctor's opinion. Another difference seen at least in the US, younger generations have much higher rates of mental health diagnosis, which seems to be heavily influenced by increased acceptance of mental health being a medical issue, as opposed to a personal issue. In contrast, many older populations show clear signs of depression, anxiety etc, but do not perceive it as being a health topic, and therefor refuse to seek a doctor's help. Diagnosis relies on the opinion of personal problem vs medical problem. So my thoughts are the exclusion criteria may have great bias towards older people from lower income areas, while not guaranteeing the participants have no mental health issues. And this bias may be heavily influenced by culture.

I do recognize the difficulty of designing methodology. Good luck with your thesis! It's always wonderful when science attempts to understand dreams.

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 May 2019 04:02

all done, keen to see the results
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Dream Science”