Lucid Dreamers and God

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.

Have you ever tried to communicate with God in the phase state (LD/OOBE/AP)?

Yes, and I was successful
9%
Yes, but nothing happened
4%
Yes, but what was encountered was a product of my mind
9%
No, but I am willing to try
51%
No, and I'm reluctant to try out of fear
No votes
No, and I never will (I'm an atheist who doesn't see any point)
27%

Total votes: 55

Summerlander

Re: Lucid Dreamers and God

Postby Summerlander » 01 Jun 2016 00:29

Ok, let's agree to disagree, then. I also feel that this conversation can't go any further. You have your reasons for subscribing to scripture and they're good enough for you.

If I'm wrong about what's true and I'm proved wrong one day, I'll be dumbfounded. But even then, if I discovered that I lived in a godly universe and scriptures turned out to have some significance or divine purpose, I'd be extremely disappointed with such reality where the show is being run by a supernatural entity weirder and far more nefarious than a psychopath.

I say this because omnipotence implies that nobody can outdo God at anything, including cruelty. Omnipresence requires Him to be all. Omniscience (curiously---and somewhat ironically---the combination of 'omni' and 'science') places Him in the perfect position to fully fathom where the psychopath is coming from. It would be a hell of a dictatorship from which none can escape. A roughshod king of deities who's got plans for you without your consent.

Note: No 'but what about' questions were asked here. No questions of any kind. :mrgreen:

Back to reporting lucid dreams---or more precisely, phase state experiences---about God, then ... 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 01 Jun 2016 08:04

Summerlander wrote:But what do you think about :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 01 Jun 2016 08:06

I finally learned to quote ;)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Jun 2016 10:55

Great stuff. ;-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 01 Jun 2016 11:00

My gottcha quote is from page 33. It is just fun that I play like politicians would do for debate points. Do I get one point?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Jun 2016 23:35

You get a point, my friend! :mrgreen:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

- Padmasambhava

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Feb 2017 12:25

I'll soon be reading a book soon about the neurophysiology behind why people have a tendency to believe---or want to believe---in God/higher power/hereafter. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 27 Feb 2017 16:49

That user at the beginning of this thread? I wonder who she originally was? I don't know what her fate was or if she is even around anymore, but I would have wanted to learn more, maybe psychologically see what was going on with her?

Personally my opinion on this thread, if you lucid dream about any form of deity or religion, keep it to yourself at least on this forum. My opinion is however, users are free to lucid dream about anything they want, and no I don't care what anyone's hated opinion is on the subject, it is THEIR lucid dream, their playground, their mind, their creation, and no one has the right to tell them what they can or cannot lucid dream about. Science should not try to thought police anyone with a machine. I hate Barney the Dinosaur and if it were my opinion, Barney would look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=865AoXifk7E but many children and handicapped kids really like that purple dinosaur and some even believe he's real. I cannot really criticize them for liking that dinosaur, even if many older children and adults do so.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Feb 2017 18:03

'Although we are taught the Copernican astronomy in our textbooks, it has not yet penetrated to our religion or our morals, and has not even succeeded in destroying belief in astrology. People still think that the Divine Plan has special reference to human beings, and that a special Providence not only looks after the good, but also punishes the wicked. I am sometimes shocked by the blasphemies of those who think themselves pious - for instance, the nuns who never take a bath without wearing a bathrobe all the time. When asked why, since no man can see them, they reply: "Oh, but you forget the good God." Apparently they conceive of the Deity as a Peeping Tom, whose omnipotence enables Him to see through bathroom walls, but who is foiled by bathrobes. This view strikes me as curious.'

~Bertrand Russell

There is no reason at all for why we should refrain from expressing religious beliefs and the same goes for the criticism of religion---especially when the pious attempt to pass off their world views as the absolute and unquestionable truth without proffering one iota of evidence. 8-)

Which particular user are you referring to, lucide? If it's nesgirl, I can assure you that she didn't leave because of religious reasons; she was actually fairly secular. But she was naturally (according to her) an asexual (nothing wrong here) as well as vehemently erotophobic---which caused her to absolutely condemn sexual people and their urges however healthy they might be. (Everything wrong here and I don't need to remind people that a phobia is an irrational fear.) To top it off, the bigot kept making exorbitantly misogamistic remarks such as, 'Couples who plan to get married should be killed!'---most of which she erased in shame. :mrgreen:

I can say this much about her psychological state: a highly conflicted individual. :idea:

Now ... nobody has ever said on this thread that it is forbidden to lucid dream about certain things. I certainly would never say it. This thread was actually inspired by a scientific experiment conducted by Michael Raduga's Phase Research Center (of which I'm the head of the Phase Management Dept.) in which people were asked to consciously dream about angels.

If you think this thread is about preventing people from lucid dreaming about religious/spiritual figures, you are quite mistaken. :)

By the way, Barney is, in a histrionic sense, real and children are entertained by the programme on TV. Children also have the excuse to express as truisms that which is the product of an imagination running wild in its freedom. Why? Because they are children and still have a lot to learn.

Likewise, in the world of adults, the religious can express their beliefs and dogma---and the reasons for their faith---at their peril. It is possible for adults to sound ridiculous and they should be called out on it. But it's not just that their religious beliefs are unfounded and ridiculous---they are insidious when they lie to their children about their certainty, robbing them of the chance to make up their minds about what's real and what isn't; religion is pernicious when it plays a major role in society and politics, often leading to ramifications with their worst outcome being a theocratic dictatorship.

I believe I've said enough here. Need I remind you that science allows you to share your lucid dreams online with a myriad strangers? Don't be so hypocritical if you know what's good for ya. :D

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 27 Feb 2017 22:01

I wouldn't worry about her ever coming back however, just judging from what that user put in as her avatar, I don't believe that's all she ended up doing. I am going to have to conclude she might not even exist at all anymore, and it's probably what you really wanted anyway.
I really don't need to go on anymore, as she doesn't exist.

I personally don't really care what others believe in real life, unless they push it on me with violence. Believe what you want, and I'll believe what I want. I don't like it when I get criticized for being a fan of Nintendo, like when some Sony fans tell me not to shove my Nintendo beliefs down their children's throats. I can like what I like, and it is my decision to like some good Zelda and Pokemon. If they don't like it, well too bad for them.

I don't believe any adult sounds ridiculous and I don't believe they are lying to their children. You should see some serious sports fans, who tell people to root for specific sports teams, and then what they end up doing to rival sports teams they really don't like, or did you not know about that. If an adult wants to behave like a child, let them. It could be way worse when an adult decides to behave like a child than just storytime or trick or treating, like when Michael Jackson decided to have a sleepover with some children.

I wouldn't say also science completely allows you to share your lucid dreams online either. If they did, I wouldn't have to hide some of the low probability lucid dreams I have. A few of them have around the low probability as flipping 100 heads in a row, and it would be a very difficult lucid dream to explain online without some users bullying me about it.
Last edited by lucidé on 28 Feb 2017 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Return to “Dream Science”