Lucid Dreamers and God

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.

Have you ever tried to communicate with God in the phase state (LD/OOBE/AP)?

Yes, and I was successful
9%
Yes, but nothing happened
4%
Yes, but what was encountered was a product of my mind
11%
No, but I am willing to try
50%
No, and I'm reluctant to try out of fear
No votes
No, and I never will (I'm an atheist who doesn't see any point)
27%

Total votes: 56

Summerlander

Re: Lucid Dreamers and God

Postby Summerlander » 04 Oct 2014 10:27

Yes, the good old Epicurean reasoning. No theodicy in the world can vindicate a perfectly good god in the presence of evil. The polytheistic hierarchy described in Homer's Odyssey would best "explain" what happens in the world today. Better still, deism: the most sensible way to believe in a Creator because this one does not interfere in our affairs and does not care (unlike Yahweh, Allah, Jehovah etc.) Hence why the innocent can randomly pay for crimes of another, as nesgirl pointed out, and justice doesn't always prevail.

Better still is the position where you don't actually believe because you have no reason to. It is better in the sense that it is sensible. After all, why believe in unicorns when they are evidently absent? Atheism isn't dogmatic either, for, the moment it is demonstrated that there is a God after all - beyond all doubt - the atheist would be a fool to cling to his position.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Oct 2014 01:02

Yep! All forms of superstition are poo.You find them everywhere and in all religions. Even Buddhism, regarded by some as a philosophy and not a religion, has its own brand: karma. It's all hooey!

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Oct 2014 02:03

Yep! All forms of superstition are poo

Literally some superstitions might once upon a time have prevented you from eating or consuming the wrong berries and getting very sick with the resulting poo arriving

There is a basis for a lot of superstitions that would have had its place at one time
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Oct 2014 20:19

Superstition might have aided humanity in its infancy. I don't deny that. The greatest one of all, religion, certainly helped to bring people closer together within societies. But in this day and age we have better means to be able to tell what's good and bad for us. And more reliable means too. Science and reason. Today, religion continues to be the source of much abuse, conflict, discrimination, and misunderstanding.

You also have to remember, Peter, that superstition has also resulted in the deaths of millions of people throughout the ages. From something like the belief that cannibalism strengthens your soul which resulted in the spread of deadly kuru and the deaths of many a tribesmen, to something like the burning of witches and demons by the Inquisition which wiped out many innocent people and destroyed many lives.

Superstition is an infantile way of looking at things. It has no place in our society in this scientific age. We know far more than we did. We know what causes thunderstorms, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions. We know about germs and viruses to the point of creating antidotes and vaccines. We have the power to discern good and bad lifestyles. Why rely on blind superstition?

What can replace superstition? Science and reason. The quest for knowledge and understanding. Trust me, it is an upgrade. What can replace religion - which once may or may not served us well? Secular humanism and the simple goal to improve our lives and help one another once we recognise that this is the only life we are ever going to live and it is a short one too. This is also an upgrade.

Once we recognise that life is short, make the most of it and make it worthwhile for your fellow human being, too. Don't just go through your life like you are living under a celestial dictatorship. Like some all-powerful Leader is watching you all the time and reading your thoughts. Like you don't have to do anything about this life thinking that there is a better one afterwards. You can only be sure about this one and as far as you can tell, God is absent. So go with that and be happy with your loved ones. Do not love an invisible, imaginary dictator over your family and friends.
Last edited by Summerlander on 05 Oct 2014 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Oct 2014 20:23

I am not disagreeing with what you say at all so no need to tell me what i am thinking or what my opinion might be. My only statement was to a historical reason for some superstition to counteract a statement that put all superstition in one box.

A lot of concepts are way past their use by in this day and age
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Oct 2014 20:29

Sorry, Peter, just edited the post above. But yes, I accept what you are saying. Not all superstition worked against us in the past. It is also true that what was once a great boon might have become a misfiring byproduct of culture.
Last edited by Summerlander on 05 Oct 2014 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Oct 2014 20:31

No need to edit, put up with my style and I like yours. Never an issue and I have a natural tendency to bate so also have to watch what I post

Cheers

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Oct 2014 20:32

I've got Hagart's Disease. Look, I've done it again. :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

R99

Postby R99 » 06 Oct 2014 17:17

OMG these posts are so long.. it will take more time than i think. and i wanted to say something too.

when i entered in to this waking life state. i was human... then my parents changed me in to christian.. u know bcoz they r too christian... funny people .. then after 24 years of life i began to think like a human. now i am a human. instead of following someones belief system, i am following my own. i wasted my life praying to a GOD that never answers. instead i should have meditated. the countless hours of thinking about purpose of life lead me to the concept of "Universal Consciousness" that encrypted in all of us, u know the Unconscious mind. And now i am trying to tap in to its potential. In my life there is only one God like figure, and it is Mother Nature. and we r a product of its incredible energy.

And dont think am not gonna read all the posts here, i will. am just posting my view here. just to stay with u guys.
"A curious mind cannot be afraid of Unknown. It searches for the answers untill the end of time."

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Oct 2014 17:16

@ R99:

You are somewhat of a pantheist. Like Spinoza and Einstein. That's cool. You don't really have a personal god and you are certainly atheistic about the God portrayed by so-called Holy Scripture.

If you manage to read all the posts here you won't tegret it. Everyone here has said something interesting so far. Both religious and secular. Meditation is good for you too! Here's a quote about it:

"You hear about the science that says it can do some pretty extraordinary things to your brain and your body: lowering your blood pressure, boosting your immune system, thickening the gray matter in parts of the brain that have to do with self-awareness and compassion, and decreasing the gray matter in the areas associated with stress. That’s all really compelling. I work out because I want to take care of my health, and meditation seemed like it could fall in the same bucket. But my first taste of it was miserable. I set an alarm for five minutes and had a full-on collision with the zoo that is my mind. It was really hard."

- Dan Harris

@ nesgirl:

nesgirl wrote:Hey Summer you are going to get a real kick out of this Lucid Dream and start arguing with me at this same time. By the way, you never specified what Deity you exactly wanted. Greek Mythology can work in this case.

Any god will do! LOL! 8-)

nesgirl wrote:It starts off as I ask Hades for assistance and he summons his best servant, anti-Eros (means anti-romance) who is so loyal to his name that he was neutered as soon as he could be.

You did the neutering, I take it. Guys, never sleep in the same room as nesgirl! :mrgreen:

nesgirl wrote:Hades then hands me a mortality potion that is capable of making any deity mortal. We then hike up Mt Olympus, and the first deity that we see is Eros (deity of romance), and I throw the mortality potion at him, and we kill him of electrocution.

Nesgirl, this is better than Homer's Odyssey, I tell ya'! :lol:

nesgirl wrote:We then approach the other Olympians like Zeus, Athena, etc, and then I command Anti-Eros to do his thing, and he goes and spays and neuters the Olympians.

Ouch! Parthenogenetic massacre. You could never become a surgeon! You condone the actions that took place in your lucid dream? Girls, beware, too... :o

nesgirl wrote:they all proceed to gain educations and gain careers.

Cool! This is good... :)

nesgirl wrote:Mt Olympus is now a water park for the citizens to play on. After a while, the citizens gain enough knowledge and learn how to clone. Hades then approaches the citizens and looks at the purple flag, and says, "Wow what you are doing is so cool, I think I might neuter myself too." Greece now not having deities look over their shoulder from Mt Olympus, no longer having romance in it (a purple flag is in the middle of their city), and being more knowledge oriented being governed over by Anti-Eros is now a proper Utopia where the citizens are living happily.

Parthenogenetic fascism. The pogrom of sexuals. The mutilation and desexualisation of those who are spared. Survivors fear the new asexual dictatorship enough to submit. Neo-Hermaphrodism established. (No males, no females, an asexual amalgamation.) By the way, what happened to Hermaphroditus? Executed? Or separated into Hermes and Aphrodite first before castration? :lol:

nesgirl wrote:This was so much fun. The things you can get away with in a Lucid Dream (and if you think an anti-romance Lucid Dream is inappropriate, then why not look at the opposing side at its most TMI side?)

I'd rather be with a female who is woman enough endure the consequences of having sex. :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Science”