Advanced Dream Controller for over 40 years

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
ericinla

Advanced Dream Controller for over 40 years

Postby ericinla » 07 Jun 2018 19:25

Turning 53 today. Started out Lucid Dreaming around 45 years ago and started controlling my dreams around age 10. I assumed everyone could do it. I mentioned it in class once in elementary school. Everyone looked at my funny and didn't know what I was talking about. So I kept my mouth shut from then on about it. Over time I learned how to totally control my dreams at will. Just second nature to me now. Self taught. Anyone with a similar story?
Last edited by ericinla on 26 Jun 2018 23:54, edited 2 times in total.
Eric in L.A.

Galamane

Re: Advanced Dream Controller for over 40 years

Postby Galamane » 09 Jun 2018 04:07

I'm similar except I was 11 and i'm only 27, it's exhausting isn't it?

Petal

Postby Petal » 09 Jun 2018 17:47

Hi,
I’m sort of similar, in that I’m 42 and have been experimenting with dreams since I was age around 13. I haven’t always had good lucid dream experiences though. I was having very vivid memorial dreams from an early age and I can remember a specific dream from when I was around five years old. The dream was vicious and brightly coloured and about a kingfisher. Although, I identified with the vengeful, angry cruelty of the bird, I also knew those feelings were nasty, unkind and spooky. I would say that dream was semi lucid in that I knew I was dreaming and that it was frightening and I wanted it to stop. As I grow up in a then rural and quit superstitious village in the UK, I already thought dreams were a bit witchy and strange and for a long time after that particular dream, I didn’t like them.
In my early teens my grandmother gave me a dream symbol book, I guess hoping it would relieve some of my anxiety. I was fascinated and started looking out for dream symbols, or any kind of seemingly meaningful visual symbolism to be honest. I also liked books with good story telling artwork and illustration. I was definitely always a visual thinker. I took myself to Sunday school, as my parents are pretty much atheist and the school mistress taught me a a lot about Christian visual and story symbolism. She read us a fair few bible dream related stories. I think she thought I was quite pagan in nature as I did hang out with odd but harmless old farm hands and alternative traveler kids. It was pretty normal behaviour for my village at the time. There was also quite an gothic new romantic cultural undercurrent going on. I didn’t focus in on such influences as William Blake, Oscar Wilde, Tolkien, Brothers Grimm, old Bruegel paintings, Harry Clarke's Illustrations for Edgar Allan Poe, Gary Numan, Kate Bush, Adam Ant (as I wasn’t a focused kid at all), but I was certainly aware of a lot of it. When I got to design university I began to understand a lot more about what I was doing in dreams, but I didn’t find good Astral projection or lucid dreaming book and references until much later.
I would say I’m half self taught, half guided by ideas found from many miscellaneous vaguely occult sources. I never really had any specific spiritual or supernatural beliefs in what I was doing in my sleep or in waking life, rather I have liking for the visual complex realities, environments and storytelling I can insert myself into. There is a lot of arty romanticism going on in my dreams. My current lucid dreaming practices are probably very eccentric but I like them that way. My dreams are not always lucid but I do have very good dream recall. Usually I can remember and describe at least three dreams in great detail per night if I set my mind to it. At least one of them will have very lucid moments where I actively change the plot or details in some way.
Can’t help but ask, cause it’s what I’m really interested in, Is there any particular childhood elements or influences, particularly story or visual ones that still appear frequently peoples dreams?
Anyhow, Kind Regards. I hope to see you about...

Bux

Postby Bux » 24 Jun 2018 09:22

Hi
Ive got similar a experience. Had strong dreams as a kid and became more lucid at about 13-14 y/o and have had multiple lucid dreams every night since. I'm 32 now. Even if I fall asleep for 5mins on the couch I'll have a lucid dream that feels like 20mins. My sleep for the last 18 years during the night is always a broken sleep and I end up making it up during the day.
I know a lot of people find the idea of lucid dreams weird and are skeptical, or they might remember one or two dreams of their life that was very strong and vivid. But for me the thought that people can just go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning with nothing in between is something so foreign to me that I'm slightly envious at times because as mentioned it can be exhausting. I think one of the exhausting or frustrating parts of it, is that you have to learn everything yourself. There are things that can help guide you, but at the end of the day its just you and yourself. Its hard too that most the writings and talks about lucid dreaming is about how to produce a lucid dream with tips and techniques to do so. That for people that are in a continuous cycle of lucid dreams every night for years and are a bit more advanced in their control of dreams most of this is not much help and at times irrelevant, that again leaves you feeling alone with your dreams.
Despite all this I wouldn't give up my way of dreaming for anything. They will help guide me for the rest of my life.
"Let it go, let it flow"

Galamane

Postby Galamane » 26 Jun 2018 23:36

I wouldn't want to give up the way I dream either pal, just maybe not all the time, I'm just getting asked constantly by people as to how I dream like this and they wish they could dream like this and what not, I mean I wouldn't give up the way I dream but I find it hard to see why it's a good thing? I get that it "sounds fun" but it's a lot of effort and really hard to keep away from reality, I have to utterly make sure that there is no one I know or have seen in the real world in my dreams because it's all so vivid that it could be mistaken for a memory.

I just want to know if anybody knows how to do both or is it a "once you know there's no going back" thing? I plan everything in both my life and my dreams with such detail that I would just like to know what a random thought is again?

ericinla

Postby ericinla » 26 Jun 2018 23:57

I have been in total control of every dream for over 30 years now. Funny, I got bored with it. So now I do a lot of what I call "Free Dreaming" in which I let the dream go will it may. I might interfere now and then. But I seem to learn a lot and solve problems in my daily life with it.
Eric in L.A.

Yasha

Postby Yasha » 27 Jun 2018 08:19

Same here.
Been lucid dreaming since I can remember myself as a child. Never learned how to do it -- I never had to, It just comes naturally. For the longest time I thought everyone does it, so I've never really talked about it. Wow, I guess there are many others like me. I have so many questions, I suppose, but it's kind of late here so I'll just check in tomorrow, lol.

One thing I will agree on, when you have 3-4 crispy clear prolonged lucid dreams a night for 30+ years on a daily basis, sometimes with immersions up to 3 levels, it can really mess with one's perception of reality.

One thing I always took for granted is continuing the dream(s) from any given previous night at will, if I wake up at the most interesting moment :) I mean, it's like renting a movie on demand. It's super easy, really.

Either way, I'm quite excited to read everyone's experiences here tonight. I feel like I actually belong.

Dreams can and do seep into reality in ways we never expect nor understand. Happy adventures, but be careful of what they may become.

-- Yasha.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”