Am I Lucid dreaming? First post

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Pete_Lace

Am I Lucid dreaming? First post

Postby Pete_Lace » 03 Jul 2018 10:30

Hello my name is Peter 🙂 & I am a fellow lucid dreamer I think? I apologise in advance about the length & detail of this message. I’m 36 now, my first lucid dream happened in my early 20’s, it completely terrified me I was in a constant false awakening state with sleep paralysis & would just keep trying to wake myself up, I would be in a complete conscious state in my bedroom looking back down at myself, 15yrs ago the internet isn’t what it is now so I couldn’t research it & didn’t know what was going on, in my early 20’s I was a very heavy MDMA user (used every weekend for 2yrs straight) the scenario I explained started happening at the end of the 2yr drug period & it always happened a couple nights after a heavy night using MDMA, only for one night & then it would stop, once this started frequently happening I stopped using MDMA (as it would scare me when it happened) & sure enough the lucid dreams stopped happening. 10yrs later In my late 20’s early 30’s I starting using MDMA again & sure enough the same scenario happened, I researched what was happening to me on line & the closest thing that could explain it was lucid dreaming, I found out Lucid dreaming was safe so when it happened again I relaxed become more brave stayed in the lucid dreaming state & would start exploring, look at my self, explore the house, look in mirrors etc & eventually I would go into a complete dream state, like my early 20’s it would happen only after excess MDMA use, 2-3 nights after & only for one night.
I’m married now with children so those party years are behind me, I’ve been on heavy anti anxiety medication for about 1yr now, 1 week ago I stopped taking my anti anxiety medication cold turkey & did MDMA for the first time in years. For the past 4 nights I have been lucid dreaming every single night intensely, this is what happens every night.
First part of the night. Fully conscious able to look at my self, my wife, travel through my house, please note in this state there are no Hallucinations or anything psychedelic happening until I look at my self in the reflection of bathroom mirror & my appearance is distorted eg. Small eyes, big ears. This state usually last for the first 1hr then I will go into the second part of my lucid dreaming which has never happen before.
The second part I go into a full psychedelic state still will a conscious mind and I am able to control everything, shapes, patterns, flying, sex, seeing old friends... I will stay in this state until I wake up (if you can call it that).
Can you please tell me what you think is happening here? Am I even lucid dreaming?
If it happens again tonight (night 5) I’m going to go back on my anti anxiety medication.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated as it’s starting to get exhausting (fun the first few nights) & I’m freaking my wife out.

Solaris_142

Re: Am I Lucid dreaming? First post

Postby Solaris_142 » 03 Jul 2018 13:15

Exhausting in what way?

Well I don't do drugs other than caffeine and occasionally some wine or beer so I have no idea what kind of drug you are talking about. But it doesn't sound like it's a good thing and you should probably not be doing it.

But having said that, to answer your question yeah it does sound like it's causing you to go lucid. And to have wake initiated lucids. There are a lot of people that have trouble or are just too impatient to induce lucid dreams naturally through the mental work involved. So they use supplements to induce lucidity. And from what I have read of them they have very similar experiences to what you are describing. I induce lucidity the old fashioned way so I can't give much insight on your experiences.

I wouldn't worry about the lucidity experiences themselves. Nothing wrong with are harmful about them at all. The drugs you are taking on the other hand could be another story altogether.
Previously known in other dreaming communities as Caradon.

Pete_Lace

Postby Pete_Lace » 03 Jul 2018 14:31

Thankyou Solaris_142 for your reply.
Exhausting... not that I’m tired but I’m getting fed up of it happening every night now (up to night 5 now) I just want a normal sleep.
I’m from Australian it’s 11.20pm at night & I just woke up from another really vivid wake initiated lucid dream before reading your reply.
I won’t get into the lucid dream it started well but ended horribly.
Solaris MDMA is ecstasy, party/ sex drug,methylenedioxymethamphetamine, which I said I did heavily in my early 20’s but very rarely any more & have decided never again. In my early 20’s after MDMA use it would only happen one night & stop.
Solaris_142 how do you bring on lucid dreaming naturally?

Solaris_142

Postby Solaris_142 » 03 Jul 2018 15:31

Pete_Lace wrote:Thankyou Solaris_142 for your reply.
Exhausting... not that I’m tired but I’m getting fed up of it happening every night now (up to night 5 now) I just want a normal sleep.
I’m from Australian it’s 11.20pm at night & I just woke up from another really vivid wake initiated lucid dream before reading your reply.
I won’t get into the lucid dream it started well but ended horribly.
Solaris MDMA is ecstasy, party/ sex drug,methylenedioxymethamphetamine, which I said I did heavily in my early 20’s but very rarely any more & have decided never again. In my early 20’s after MDMA use it would only happen one night & stop.
Solaris_142 how do you bring on lucid dreaming naturally?

Oh okay I've heard of ecstasy. Never tried it. It wasn't something that was around during my younger partying days. I'm 47 right now. I re-read your original post to see if I understood it wrong. But reading it again still looks like you said you started up using the drugs again and the lucids started again. So if that is true the logical conclusion is if you don't like the lucidity that it casuses you, you should quit doing the drug. Or are you saying that you are not using the drug at all but the lucidity is still happening regardless of the drug use?

My method of inducing lucid dreams naturally is a constant awareness method. I try as best I can to be aware as much as possible if I am dreaming or not. Constantly questioning and watching for abnormalities/dreamsigns that might indicate that I am dreamming. The more the thought is in the mind while awake eventually it starts carrying over into thoughts while dreaming. And I either just become aware I'm in a dream, or I see or expereince something that makes me start to wonder if I'm dreaming. And then I do a reality check to verify to myself that I am in fact dreaming. Though generally if a person is seriously wondering if they might be dreaming, they are... I've never seriously thought I might be dreaming while awake. :)

I also do wake initiated stuff. But for me even though fun and enjoyable when I do those it does not feel like full blown lucid dreams to me. Feels more hypnogogic in nature. But the experiences are fun and fascinating to me non the less.

Pete_Lace

Postby Pete_Lace » 03 Jul 2018 23:06

Hello Solaris_142 Thankyou for your reply.
Yes heavy MDMA use would bring on lucid dreaming in the past for one night only.
I did MDMA 2 weeks ago (one off thing won’t happen again) but have also stop taking my anti anxiety medication cold turkey 2 weeks ago too & ive lucid dreamed for 5 nights in a row now.
I’m guessing it’s a combination of both that has triggered off all this lucid dreaming over the past 5 nights.
I guess its a part of me now & I have to learn more about it as I know nothing on the subject.
I’m sorry to bring drug use & a bit of negativity to the forum I’m just a bit rattled at the moment as my wife, friends & family think I’m just making it up & this was the only place we’re i thought someone would listen.
Solaris_142 last night as soon as I feel asleep I did that wake initiated lucid dream, in the lucid dream state I looked at my wife, managed to wake her up (was unsuccessful to do that in the past 4 nights) we hugged, kissed started to get romantic then her face got distorted & she started cutting my hands with knifes, when that started to happen I woke myself up after a lot of sleep paralysis & false awakening, I woke my wife up and asked her “were you just in my lucid dream?”
She said No & told me to go back to sleep.

Pete_Lace

Postby Pete_Lace » 04 Jul 2018 00:52

I’ve been doing research on this website (Thankyou Rebecca Turner) & im induced Lucid Dreams (WILDs). It only takes me a couple of minutes to get there & it happpens at the start of my sleep.

Solaris_142

Postby Solaris_142 » 04 Jul 2018 15:50

Okay.

It's different for me since I've been fascinated by my dreams since such a young age going back before I can even remember and done so much lucid dreaming. It's always been fun and exciting for me. So I'm trying to look at it from the perspective of someone having no knowledge of dreaming and not used to lucidity at all getting randomly thrown into these kinds of experiences. Yeah I can see how that could be unsettling and freak a person out.

You are doing the right thing in coming to a forum like this and talking about your experiences and doing research on the subject. There is a lot of information to be found online on the subject and many many people on forums like this one to talk to about it. And some in the same kind of situation you are finding yourself in. Also there are many books on the subject. One of the best being Stephen Laberge's "Exploring The World Of Lucid Dreaming" It's a good idea to write them out, post them for others to see and get feedback on them. It should help you to get used to it and not be so fearful of the experiences. And maybe even begin to enjoy them. If you look at it as being a great adventure instead of something fearful you might just find you are beginning to have some of the most incredible experiences of your life.

That dream of yours did sound freaky. Your wife in the dream turning on you like that. Best advice I can give is to try and relax and don't let it scare you so much. Rememmebr no matter how real it seems at the time it's stiil just a dream and won't hurt you.

How about next time try something like flying. Instead of sticking aroud the house. Leave and go learn to fly. Flying in a lucid dream is one of the most pleasant experiences a person can have in my opinion. And some of the landscapes you can find and see are beautiful beyond words. And can leave you pleasantly stunned upon awakening. And stay with you for days. In my opinion there is no better feeling than being in a place like that fully aware of yourself, what you are doing, and that you are in a dream world. Free of any kind of restrictions what so ever. No laws of physics or society can dictate what you can experience. It's the utlimate form of freedom.

Good luck!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”