I really want to start lucid dreaming...

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Dizzardy

I really want to start lucid dreaming...

Postby Dizzardy » 07 Jul 2018 22:49

Hey! I made an attempt a few years ago to start lucid dreaming, I even started a dream journal and did reality checks but it all fell apart pretty quickly when I wasn't getting results. (and I wasn't keeping up with reality checks...)

I'd love to be able to control my dreams because when they're actually vivid they're pretty interesting, even if I'm not aware that I'm dreaming. Also I've been spending the last year trying to improve my drawing skills and I heard some people improve their real life skills while lucid dreaming. Which sounds really interesting.

I think I may have briefly lucid dreamed once or twice before, though I might have just dreamt that I was lucid dreaming I'm not sure. :lol: I also think I've experienced sleep paralysis while sleeping on a bus a few times, so I might be able to deal with it better if it happens.

Honestly though it kinda feels like something I won't be able to manage, it seems very elusive.

Solaris_142

Re: I really want to start lucid dreaming...

Postby Solaris_142 » 08 Jul 2018 02:04

Dizzardy wrote:Hey! I made an attempt a few years ago to start lucid dreaming, I even started a dream journal and did reality checks but it all fell apart pretty quickly when I wasn't getting results. (and I wasn't keeping up with reality checks...)

I'd love to be able to control my dreams because when they're actually vivid they're pretty interesting, even if I'm not aware that I'm dreaming. Also I've been spending the last year trying to improve my drawing skills and I heard some people improve their real life skills while lucid dreaming. Which sounds really interesting.

I think I may have briefly lucid dreamed once or twice before, though I might have just dreamt that I was lucid dreaming I'm not sure. :lol: I also think I've experienced sleep paralysis while sleeping on a bus a few times, so I might be able to deal with it better if it happens.

Honestly though it kinda feels like something I won't be able to manage, it seems very elusive.

Hello Dizzardy. Nice to meet you!

Firstly. You can do it! :)

I agree dreams are wonderful even when You don't know you're dreaming so it's great to be able to remember them. If you have recall you already have a good start.

The thing you need to understand is that even though sometimes it can take a while to get lucids going it does get easier as you go as long as you keep putting the effort in. The more you are lucid in your dreams the more used to the feeling of them you get. So it becomes easier and easier to recognize. PLus you start getting famliar with particular dreamsigns and all that jazz.

Persistence and patience are key in lucid dreaming. If you are both determined and persistant enough You will no doubt induce your first lucid. And you will get your firt taste of what it's like. I'm excited for you.

Feel free to PM me any time if you have any questions or need some encouragement.
Previously known in other dreaming communities as Caradon.

Dizzardy

Postby Dizzardy » 08 Jul 2018 06:26

Solaris_142 wrote:
Dizzardy wrote:Hey! I made an attempt a few years ago to start lucid dreaming, I even started a dream journal and did reality checks but it all fell apart pretty quickly when I wasn't getting results. (and I wasn't keeping up with reality checks...)

Hello Dizzardy. Nice to meet you!

Firstly. You can do it! :)

I agree dreams are wonderful even when You don't know you're dreaming so it's great to be able to remember them. If you have recall you already have a good start.

The thing you need to understand is that even though sometimes it can take a while to get lucids going it does get easier as you go as long as you keep putting the effort in. The more you are lucid in your dreams the more used to the feeling of them you get. So it becomes easier and easier to recognize. PLus you start getting famliar with particular dreamsigns and all that jazz.

Persistence and patience are key in lucid dreaming. If you are both determined and persistant enough You will no doubt induce your first lucid. And you will get your firt taste of what it's like. I'm excited for you.

Feel free to PM me any time if you have any questions or need some encouragement.

Thank you! :D

I'll make sure to send you a PM if I need any advice. Tonight I'm planning on trying a technique I saw on Youtube. A guy set an alarm for 4am and then went back to bed right afterwards to try induce a lucid dream. Apparently it involves sleep paralysis, but I figure that's something that happens to you every night even if you're not aware. So it can't be that big of a deal.

I had a dream last night that I (vaguely) remember too although no lucid dreaming.

Solaris_142

Postby Solaris_142 » 09 Jul 2018 06:10

Dizzardy wrote:

I'll make sure to send you a PM if I need any advice. Tonight I'm planning on trying a technique I saw on Youtube. A guy set an alarm for 4am and then went back to bed right afterwards to try induce a lucid dream. Apparently it involves sleep paralysis, but I figure that's something that happens to you every night even if you're not aware. So it can't be that big of a deal.

I had a dream last night that I (vaguely) remember too although no lucid dreaming.

Sounds like a wake back to bed. (WBTB) That is a dremers best tool. It both wakes your mind up a little bit so that you can have better recall even if you don't achieve lucidity in that attempt. And also helps reset the intention to recognize that your are dreaming. Normally people stay awake for a little while though. And everyone finds their own method of doing it.

What has always worked best for me is I will get up, use the bathroom, walk around the house for about ten minutes or so. The entire time trying to keep my thoughts completely focused on the single question of if I might be dreaming or not. Looking at different things, examining things, touching things. Then I lay back down trying to stay focused on that single thought as I drift off into sleep. During a night that I can sleep in as long as I want to I will do it repeatedly.

I wake up often enough naturally that I don't like to set an alarm clock unless I have to in order to get up for work or something. Few things more annoying than being in the middle of a really great lucid and having your alarm go off and wake you up out of it. Especially if you didn't even really have to get up for anything... I just do the (WBTB) when I naturally wake up. Though of course if you don't wake up easily during the night on your own you might want to try the alarm then at least for a while.

You mentioned sleep paralysis. Are you trying to (WILD) then? (Wake initiated lucid dream?) I personally have never experienced the severe type of (SP) where a person finds themself unable to move. I've gotten a lot of weird sensations like heavy numbness. Feelings of sinking, floating, spinning. A sense of inner expansion. Like a three dimensional space is opening up inside of me. Now and then I get the hypno jerk. That's like a weird random spasm that can hit you out of nowhere and startle you. But I've never felt paralyzed. I've always been able to move when I decided to.

Dizzardy

Postby Dizzardy » 09 Jul 2018 07:49

Solaris_142 wrote:
Dizzardy wrote:

Sounds like a wake back to bed. (WBTB) That is a dremers best tool. It both wakes your mind up a little bit so that you can have better recall even if you don't achieve lucidity in that attempt. And also helps reset the intention to recognize that your are dreaming. Normally people stay awake for a little while though. And everyone finds their own method of doing it.

What has always worked best for me is I will get up, use the bathroom, walk around the house for about ten minutes or so. The entire time trying to keep my thoughts completely focused on the single question of if I might be dreaming or not. Looking at different things, examining things, touching things. Then I lay back down trying to stay focused on that single thought as I drift off into sleep. During a night that I can sleep in as long as I want to I will do it repeatedly.

I wake up often enough naturally that I don't like to set an alarm clock unless I have to in order to get up for work or something. Few things more annoying than being in the middle of a really great lucid and having your alarm go off and wake you up out of it. Especially if you didn't even really have to get up for anything... I just do the (WBTB) when I naturally wake up. Though of course if you don't wake up easily during the night on your own you might want to try the alarm then at least for a while.

You mentioned sleep paralysis. Are you trying to (WILD) then? (Wake initiated lucid dream?) I personally have never experienced the severe type of (SP) where a person finds themself unable to move. I've gotten a lot of weird sensations like heavy numbness. Feelings of sinking, floating, spinning. A sense of inner expansion. Like a three dimensional space is opening up inside of me. Now and then I get the hypno jerk. That's like a weird random spasm that can hit you out of nowhere and startle you. But I've never felt paralyzed. I've always been able to move when I decided to.

I attempted the wake back to bed technique last night. Although I didn't actually get up. (maybe I should have) I didn't manage to lucid dream, but I do remember having a dream where I was walking along a road looking for a school for zombies and then I was watching an episode of the Simpsons that was very very weird. Homer Simpson was on big brother dressed as a hobo and everyone loved him.....and then people started turning into grotesque clones of Homer whenever he laughed. Anyway...

I think I woke up a little before 4am and checked my phone. I tend to wake up before the alarm whenever I'm anticipating it. I feel like that messed with me a bit since I didn't know if I should have attempted to lucid dream then or wait until my alarm went off.

Can you lucid dream sleeping on your side? I feel like the guy I was watching was sleeping on his back while doing it, but I find it very hard to fall asleep on my back.

As for sleep paralysis, no I'm not doing anything to bring it about. It's just when I sleep on a bus (particularly a long journey) I sometimes experience it. (like I can hear the bus moving and I have the sensation of trying to move my hand to get someones attention, but then I wake up and my hand isn't where I thought it was)

I've had sleep paralysis in bed, but it's a lot rarer. Sleeping on a bus is a more consistent way for me to get sleep paralysis.

Solaris_142

Postby Solaris_142 » 09 Jul 2018 20:12

Dizzardy wrote:

I attempted the wake back to bed technique last night. Although I didn't actually get up. (maybe I should have) I didn't manage to lucid dream, but I do remember having a dream where I was walking along a road looking for a school for zombies and then I was watching an episode of the Simpsons that was very very weird. Homer Simpson was on big brother dressed as a hobo and everyone loved him.....and then people started turning into grotesque clones of Homer whenever he laughed. Anyway...

I think I woke up a little before 4am and checked my phone. I tend to wake up before the alarm whenever I'm anticipating it. I feel like that messed with me a bit since I didn't know if I should have attempted to lucid dream then or wait until my alarm went off.

Can you lucid dream sleeping on your side? I feel like the guy I was watching was sleeping on his back while doing it, but I find it very hard to fall asleep on my back.

As for sleep paralysis, no I'm not doing anything to bring it about. It's just when I sleep on a bus (particularly a long journey) I sometimes experience it. (like I can hear the bus moving and I have the sensation of trying to move my hand to get someones attention, but then I wake up and my hand isn't where I thought it was)

I've had sleep paralysis in bed, but it's a lot rarer. Sleeping on a bus is a more consistent way for me to get sleep paralysis.

See it's already helping on the first attempt you got some recall afterwards. That's a start in the right direction.

By some of your comments I'm still a little unsure if you are talking about becoming lucid in geneeral or if you are talking about attemtping WILD's wake initiated lucids.

If you are asleep and dreaming you can be lucid. Does not matter what positon you are sleeping in. If you are in a dream there is the chance of recognizing that you are in a dream. And you can be trying at all times. There does not have to be a certain time. Though the longer you sleep the less deeply you sleep and the REM periods are longer. So generally speaking the odds of becoming lucid are greater during later REM periods than ealier ones. Especially after a wake back to bed and waking your mind up a bit and resetting the intention to become lucid.

If you are talking about WILDing most people try to do it later rather than earlier because of the way the later REM periods work. Easier for some to go directly into a dream lucid from the waking state during later sleep cycles.

For me when I'm trying to WILD I need to be on my back just because if I am on my side and too comfortable I will almot always just fall asleep. If I'm on my back and much less comfortable it's easier for me to keep my mind awake and aware as I drift off into hypnagogia and dreamlets. But I agree it's difficult falling alseep on ones back which is why it makes it easier for me to WILD that way rather than simply just falling asleep. But there is no rule to it. If you can do it while on your side you can. :)

Shynia

Postby Shynia » 10 Jul 2018 14:25

Hey there! I'm new in this forum but I have a lot of experience in sleep paralysis, so if you want the surest way to get a lucid dream you may want to try inducing an SP. I understand you tried a method where you got up in the middle of the night and went back to sleep. That's not a good way to start I think. Try to think about it like a muscle you train. When you use the muscle a lot, it kicks in in different circumstances (like the short wake up in the middle of the night). But when you're not used to it, you just fall asleep again, with weirder dreams than normal (you are more awake but the lucid-muscle cannot activate).

My surest way to get in a lucid dream is to get some sleep (it's useful when you don't have to get up early the other day). You set the alarm so you have had a good 4 hours sleep (it should be of good quality and not while you have fever or are super stressed). Then, stay awake for at least half an hour. And I mean really awake, not half asleep. Get up, brush your teeth or get a glass of water, turn on the lights, walk around, whatever.
Then, get back to bed after 30-45min and try to sleep on your back. Hard to fall asleep on your back? Even better! It is going to take a lot of time to start to drift off. Try to stay focused with your mind. That doesn't mean that you should do math, but try to experience lying in bed. Feel how heavy your arms and legs get, feel how you're mind is too awake to just fall asleep, just lay there and breathe. Depending on how tired you still are it should take around 15-30min to fall asleep again. Now MAYBE you'll end up in a sleep paralysis (it is always the case when I do this). If you're lucky you find yourself being unable to move (yes, lucky, because now you can "go"). Don't bother with anything in your room, maybe you hear something, maybe not - it's your brain starting to create a dreamworld. Just be aware of it and let yourself go deeper. It's like letting your body sink to the bottom of a swimming pool. Just relax. As soon as you feel yourself getting heavier, maybe you already are in a dream, maybe not. If not just start imagining a scenario. Your brain will do the rest. Don't try to control everything, just enjoy your first lucid walk in your dream.

I hope this helps, let me know if it worked :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”