Hello

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
TacosGalore
Posts: 3
Joined: 13 Jul 2018 17:01

Hello

Postby TacosGalore » 13 Jul 2018 17:18

Hello how are you all? I'm new to lucid dreaming and this forum so this is a bit of an intro with a few questions.
I'm 17 YO and American. I started to get into lucid dreaming 2 days ago when I found r/luciddreaming on Reddit.
The first night I tried WILD right when I was going to sleep at midnight. I thought I entered sleep paralysis but then I needed to pee and I managed to get up with ease. I did feel tingling so I don't think it was sleep paralysis.
The second night I tried WILD again, this time ~5 hours after I went to sleep. It didn't work again so I gave up. After that I tried falling asleep normally and I think I accidentally did it but I don't remember. I remember feeling a full body tingling and then a pull into a dream but the memory is so vague that this in itself could be part of the dream.

That's my story so far and even though I doubt this is the place to ask questions, I'm going to anyways.

1. Tips on falling into sleep paralysis? I know there are resources out there for this but I want an interactive response so that I can ask follow up questions that I will surely have. Some of my issues with it have been swallowing, noise around me, and needing to take a pee. Help please! Also when I'm trying to fall into sleep paralysis I'm just not tired or something so it goes super slow but when I give up I get knocked out real quick. Why?

I'll ask more questions as I try more things.
I feel obligated to mention that I started a dream journal to try and improve me dream recall so I can actually remember if I lucid dream or not.
Peace

User avatar
Shynia
Posts: 20
Joined: 10 Jul 2018 13:00

Re: Hello

Postby Shynia » 13 Jul 2018 19:07

TacosGalore wrote:Hello how are you all? I'm new to lucid dreaming and this forum so this is a bit of an intro with a few questions.
I'm 17 YO and American. I started to get into lucid dreaming 2 days ago when I found r/luciddreaming on Reddit.
The first night I tried WILD right when I was going to sleep at midnight. I thought I entered sleep paralysis but then I needed to pee and I managed to get up with ease. I did feel tingling so I don't think it was sleep paralysis.
The second night I tried WILD again, this time ~5 hours after I went to sleep. It didn't work again so I gave up. After that I tried falling asleep normally and I think I accidentally did it but I don't remember. I remember feeling a full body tingling and then a pull into a dream but the memory is so vague that this in itself could be part of the dream.

That's my story so far and even though I doubt this is the place to ask questions, I'm going to anyways.

1. Tips on falling into sleep paralysis? I know there are resources out there for this but I want an interactive response so that I can ask follow up questions that I will surely have. Some of my issues with it have been swallowing, noise around me, and needing to take a pee. Help please! Also when I'm trying to fall into sleep paralysis I'm just not tired or something so it goes super slow but when I give up I get knocked out real quick. Why?

I'll ask more questions as I try more things.
I feel obligated to mention that I started a dream journal to try and improve me dream recall so I can actually remember if I lucid dream or not.
Peace


Hello TacosGalore and welcome :)

I'm new to this forum too but happy to have found it. I'm a 30 years old mom, a natural lucid dreamer (I hope that's what it's called), I suffered from sleep paralysis for several years starting in my teens (I didn't know what it was and the internet wasn't this vast that time), I'm from Switzerland aaaaand my hobby is gaming (just for the references in my dreams). That's the intro.

I'm glad to help when you have any questions :) I started to write an essay about lucidity but then I realized that I have to wait for more specific questions.
So first of all, concerning your question: I think you are too concentrated. You have to find a balance between not falling asleep and letting yourself float a little (too much concentration: it won't work, too little concentration: you end up simply falling asleep as always). It is of course something you have to get used to, like riding a bike. First it may seem difficult but when you mastered it once you don't understand how it didn't work the first time. So don't be too determined, it is in the end "sleeping". And of course, even if you manage getting a lucid dream, your first thing to do is not creating a universe to your liking but simply explore what your mind throws at you. See, feel, ask questions, maybe get answers, maybe not. Just see how your dream mind works. Don't forget that up until now your brain was trained to shut your waking self off and it is not easy to just commant it to stay awake. It's a step by step thing. Maybe you already were lucid for a few minutes, but drifted off again and went into regular dreaming. That is good and progress. Don't concentrate too much on the different states, just let them come. It's more important to recap afterwards, just see which states you were in.
For example, I cannot concentreate on the visual effects I get, the lights and colours, because it "wakes" me up again and I have to restart. I only concentrate on keeping my mind from drifting into a chain of thoughts. And the next thing I know, is that I slip into paralysis. It's a common sensation for me, because I was scared of it for several years. Because of that I can feel it instantly, with a bit of remaining fear. Still, it's the trigger to let myself fall a little deeper. It's a feeling like when you're hanging from a cliff and someone tells you to let go because your feet are just above the ground. You can't see it for yourself and you need a little trust and that sensation of "letting go" but you do it with a mind that's awake. It feels really werid, like letting yourself fall into darkness.

I really hope you'll keep at it, trying again for a few times. But don't force it. the full body tingling and the pull into a dream is very common. I think you simply slipped away to a non lucid dream after a short while because it is what our brain is trained to do in the first place.

TacosGalore
Posts: 3
Joined: 13 Jul 2018 17:01

Re: Hello

Postby TacosGalore » 13 Jul 2018 21:02

Shynia wrote:Hello TacosGalore and welcome :)

I'm new to this forum too but happy to have found it. I'm a 30 years old mom, a natural lucid dreamer (I hope that's what it's called), I suffered from sleep paralysis for several years starting in my teens (I didn't know what it was and the internet wasn't this vast that time), I'm from Switzerland aaaaand my hobby is gaming (just for the references in my dreams). That's the intro.

I'm glad to help when you have any questions :) I started to write an essay about lucidity but then I realized that I have to wait for more specific questions.
So first of all, concerning your question: I think you are too concentrated. You have to find a balance between not falling asleep and letting yourself float a little (too much concentration: it won't work, too little concentration: you end up simply falling asleep as always). It is of course something you have to get used to, like riding a bike. First it may seem difficult but when you mastered it once you don't understand how it didn't work the first time. So don't be too determined, it is in the end "sleeping". And of course, even if you manage getting a lucid dream, your first thing to do is not creating a universe to your liking but simply explore what your mind throws at you. See, feel, ask questions, maybe get answers, maybe not. Just see how your dream mind works. Don't forget that up until now your brain was trained to shut your waking self off and it is not easy to just commant it to stay awake. It's a step by step thing. Maybe you already were lucid for a few minutes, but drifted off again and went into regular dreaming. That is good and progress. Don't concentrate too much on the different states, just let them come. It's more important to recap afterwards, just see which states you were in.
For example, I cannot concentreate on the visual effects I get, the lights and colours, because it "wakes" me up again and I have to restart. I only concentrate on keeping my mind from drifting into a chain of thoughts. And the next thing I know, is that I slip into paralysis. It's a common sensation for me, because I was scared of it for several years. Because of that I can feel it instantly, with a bit of remaining fear. Still, it's the trigger to let myself fall a little deeper. It's a feeling like when you're hanging from a cliff and someone tells you to let go because your feet are just above the ground. You can't see it for yourself and you need a little trust and that sensation of "letting go" but you do it with a mind that's awake. It feels really werid, like letting yourself fall into darkness.

I really hope you'll keep at it, trying again for a few times. But don't force it. the full body tingling and the pull into a dream is very common. I think you simply slipped away to a non lucid dream after a short while because it is what our brain is trained to do in the first place.

Thanks for the reply :) if questions are what you need, I will sure have more.
As for now I have a few small ones.
1: Do you go right into SP then into a dream when you fall asleep or in the middle of the night? If you are a natural I would assume you don't set an alarm and do it in the middle of the night like I am trying.
2: When you slip into SP do you feel the full body tingling and a buzzing in your ear until you feel 'locked'?
3: During the transition from SP to the dream state I am pretty unclear on. Does it happen right away? What happens? Can you screw it up? Can you describe it to me?

Thanks. Any more questions I will be sure to ask you :)

User avatar
Shynia
Posts: 20
Joined: 10 Jul 2018 13:00

Re: Hello

Postby Shynia » 14 Jul 2018 08:24

TacosGalore wrote: Thanks for the reply :) if questions are what you need, I will sure have more.
As for now I have a few small ones.
1: Do you go right into SP then into a dream when you fall asleep or in the middle of the night? If you are a natural I would assume you don't set an alarm and do it in the middle of the night like I am trying.
2: When you slip into SP do you feel the full body tingling and a buzzing in your ear until you feel 'locked'?
3: During the transition from SP to the dream state I am pretty unclear on. Does it happen right away? What happens? Can you screw it up? Can you describe it to me?

Thanks. Any more questions I will be sure to ask you :)


1: I'm a natural meaning I started asking myself wether I'm dreaming or not intuitively when I was really young (about 5 years old). Since then I can, under certain circumstances, become lucid while dreaming. The SP came when I was a teenager and willed myself into dreamstate (or simply back to sleep) even when I wasn't really tired (mostly in the morning at six/seven). It was the usual, like I later heard or read about it: Not able to move, mostly blurry vision (not always), hearing voices or seeing/feeling people walking around, trying to scream only maybe sighing a little etc.
Because I didn't know what it was I was really scared of it and never thought of just letting go and drift back to sleep. I fisrt tried WILD when I read about it a few years ago. Up until then I desperately wanted to wake myself from SP.

2: Now, when I actively try WILD, I either go to bed before I feel tired or I use the opportunity when I had to get up in the night and was awake for a while. Then I sometimes feel the buzzing, like more in my ears than feeling it in my body. Sometimes I only realize that I am already paralized, sometimes I even start hallucinating first (like seeing some stranger entering the bedroom), then I try to get up and I'm unable to move.
As you see, my SP's vary from time to time. It depends if I enter them willingly or accidentaly. The clearer I go in them (like with full consciousness) the unstabler they are and I have to concentrate to not let it slip or not get too excited :lol:

3: If you are aware of the SP and you want to go deeper it is a feeling of letting go. Like letting yourself fall mentally. It's hard to describe but you feel your body different in your dream so it's actually not your body you let fall but your mind. For me it's simply relaxing, like when you are tense and actively relax all your muscles. I read that people visualize a door where they go through, I change tactic depending on the SP. Sometimes I try to visualize myself getting up from bed. And I really mean visualize, not try to really get up with my muscles. If that doesn't work I try to relax and let SP go dark, falling into darkness, like mentally closing my eyes and take a deep breath.
The most important thing is not to force anything. It either wakes you up or you get stuck in the SP, having maybe horror visions (yeah, try to close your eyes and relax when there's a monster whispering into your ear. It is NOT easy, but it works too). SP and LD are intuitive things and you need to explore "your way". Maybe you end up with a solid method or with varying tactics (like I do). But you have to experience it first and just let it happen. Everyone is different and reacts differently, so it won't help you when I say that my surest method of having a lucid dream environment is to picturing myself jumping through a window, maybe that would scare you and you end waking up. But actually it somehow is my method :lol:

I hope this helps, keep me updated :)

TacosGalore
Posts: 3
Joined: 13 Jul 2018 17:01

Re: Hello

Postby TacosGalore » 14 Jul 2018 15:40

Shynia wrote:1: I'm a natural meaning I started asking myself wether I'm dreaming or not intuitively when I was really young (about 5 years old). Since then I can, under certain circumstances, become lucid while dreaming. The SP came when I was a teenager and willed myself into dreamstate (or simply back to sleep) even when I wasn't really tired (mostly in the morning at six/seven). It was the usual, like I later heard or read about it: Not able to move, mostly blurry vision (not always), hearing voices or seeing/feeling people walking around, trying to scream only maybe sighing a little etc.
Because I didn't know what it was I was really scared of it and never thought of just letting go and drift back to sleep. I fisrt tried WILD when I read about it a few years ago. Up until then I desperately wanted to wake myself from SP.

2: Now, when I actively try WILD, I either go to bed before I feel tired or I use the opportunity when I had to get up in the night and was awake for a while. Then I sometimes feel the buzzing, like more in my ears than feeling it in my body. Sometimes I only realize that I am already paralized, sometimes I even start hallucinating first (like seeing some stranger entering the bedroom), then I try to get up and I'm unable to move.
As you see, my SP's vary from time to time. It depends if I enter them willingly or accidentaly. The clearer I go in them (like with full consciousness) the unstabler they are and I have to concentrate to not let it slip or not get too excited :lol:

3: If you are aware of the SP and you want to go deeper it is a feeling of letting go. Like letting yourself fall mentally. It's hard to describe but you feel your body different in your dream so it's actually not your body you let fall but your mind. For me it's simply relaxing, like when you are tense and actively relax all your muscles. I read that people visualize a door where they go through, I change tactic depending on the SP. Sometimes I try to visualize myself getting up from bed. And I really mean visualize, not try to really get up with my muscles. If that doesn't work I try to relax and let SP go dark, falling into darkness, like mentally closing my eyes and take a deep breath.
The most important thing is not to force anything. It either wakes you up or you get stuck in the SP, having maybe horror visions (yeah, try to close your eyes and relax when there's a monster whispering into your ear. It is NOT easy, but it works too). SP and LD are intuitive things and you need to explore "your way". Maybe you end up with a solid method or with varying tactics (like I do). But you have to experience it first and just let it happen. Everyone is different and reacts differently, so it won't help you when I say that my surest method of having a lucid dream environment is to picturing myself jumping through a window, maybe that would scare you and you end waking up. But actually it somehow is my method :lol:

I hope this helps, keep me updated :)

Thanks again for the response :)
I don't know if you want daily updates or whatever but I'll tell you what happened last night at least.
At 5:30 I woke up, went to the bathroom and went back to bed. When I tried to fall into SP I only swallowed 3 times which was an improvement from the last two times. I actually did start to get lost in my thoughts but every time this happened I would snap back to full awareness. It happened everytime I heard a bird, a muscle twitched or I thought too hard about keeping the thought. It probably happened 6 times before I gave up and went to sleep. When I tried to fall asleep again I was fairly restless and it probably took a good 30 minutes to fall asleep. It never takes me that long to fall asleep especially at 6 am. Maybe I got too worked up from trying to fall into SP but I'm not sure. I'll try again tonight and just focus on getting into SP by keeping calm and trying to let the thoughts flow. I think I understand the concept it's just that every time I try to get lost in thought, I try to hard.

I hope this information helps you help me and write your essay. Thanks :D

User avatar
Shynia
Posts: 20
Joined: 10 Jul 2018 13:00

Re: Hello

Postby Shynia » 14 Jul 2018 19:39

TacosGalore wrote: Thanks again for the response :)
I don't know if you want daily updates or whatever but I'll tell you what happened last night at least.
At 5:30 I woke up, went to the bathroom and went back to bed. When I tried to fall into SP I only swallowed 3 times which was an improvement from the last two times. I actually did start to get lost in my thoughts but every time this happened I would snap back to full awareness. It happened everytime I heard a bird, a muscle twitched or I thought too hard about keeping the thought. It probably happened 6 times before I gave up and went to sleep. When I tried to fall asleep again I was fairly restless and it probably took a good 30 minutes to fall asleep. It never takes me that long to fall asleep especially at 6 am. Maybe I got too worked up from trying to fall into SP but I'm not sure. I'll try again tonight and just focus on getting into SP by keeping calm and trying to let the thoughts flow. I think I understand the concept it's just that every time I try to get lost in thought, I try to hard.

I hope this information helps you help me and write your essay. Thanks :D


Hahaha no you only write when you want to, please don't fell obliged to write everything down :lol: you write what you find necessary and I just wanted to know if my tips are helping or not ;)

So I see your problem, it really is trying too hard. But it's okay. You have to find your way and no one sits there and say "okay, NOW you're good". Just don't get frustrated :) I know the feeling when every bird chirping is yanking you back from it :roll: maybe winter is a better time to start LD?

I have to google that "swallow" thing (oh my I can imagine what pictures I'll get :lol: ) but I've read it now more than once in this forum. Don't know what it is though... Anyway, writing an essay would only make you think more and more instead of thinking less so no need for that. But I think you're on the right way. Maybe you shouldn't try to get an SP actively? Maybe just get up next time, go to the bathroom AND brush your teeth or walk around for a few minutes, just don't get back to bed right away. That was when I usually got SP, when it wasn't "easy" to fall asleep again because my blood circulation started up a little, or more like when I wasn't really tired anymore (when you want to go back to bed but then realise that actually you could get up now). I think for you it may be easier to get "accidentaly" in an SP and then realizing it, instead of actively trying to induce it?

You'll see what works best. Don't forget to think about a trigger, a thing that you dream often of, you could create a reality check from it. For example, I often dreamt of flying and sometimes I was afraid to jump because I thought that maybe I'm not dreaming. So you know, when you're awake you simply know that you're not dreaming. But when you dream you get unsure. That was my trigger. I mean, you could do it paralell to the SP method?

User avatar
Solaris_142
Posts: 208
Joined: 02 Jul 2018 12:16

Re: Hello

Postby Solaris_142 » 15 Jul 2018 00:08

Try earplugs to drown out exterior sounds. I use them when doing WILDing work to better focus on listening to inner sounds. Well I use them all the time actually unless I'm camping out of doors.


Don't worry about focusing on the SP so much. Just relax your body try to clear you mind of verbal thought and listen and watch for images and sounds to start happening. And weird body sensations just kind of happen sometimes which are an SP type symptom. Not everyone gets the kind of SP that actually makes you paralyzed and you might never experience that. I never have. I get weird sinking and spinning and heavy numbness sensations sometimes but never felt like I couldn't move if I wanted to. Sometimes I just start hearing sounds or find myself instantly in a dream scene without the weird physical sensation. You never know what you might experience when you try to WILD that's the fun of it. All sorts of weird fascinating things can happen. :)

Though I've never been that good at the WILDing. Well I can usually get into it fairly easily just can't stay there for very long before coming out of it. At least so far. My WILD dreams are always too fragile. Doesn't stop me from trying though because it's always interesting anyways. Sometimes I stay in them longer than other times. But my WILD's never feel like full blown lucids like when I become lucid in the middle of a dream that is already in progress. Maybe some day I'll be trying to WILD and I'll just stay in it and it will become a full fledged dream that lasts.

Good luck!
Previously known in other dreaming communities as Caradon.

Martingail12
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 Jul 2018 10:19

Re: Hello

Postby Martingail12 » 20 Jul 2018 10:44

I am Martin Gail. I love teaching, I have 7 years teaching experience in UK, Teaching Statistics to a wide range of students from Elementary level right through to PhD Students. Currently, I am providing my tutoring services at SPSS Tutors. I have a kind and patient style of teaching and love to help and explain. I love reading when I have free time there is nothing better than reading a good science fiction novel. I have a bachelor and master degree in Statistics.

_________________________________
http://www.spss-tutor.com/


Return to “Introduce Yourself”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest