Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
24/7/365
Posts: 248
Joined: 07 Apr 2017 15:29

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby 24/7/365 » 09 Jan 2018 19:52

Beginner Questions Welcome = self proclaimed know it all

actually asking a question = I can't think for myself

User avatar
scarletgirl
Posts: 4
Joined: 16 Jan 2018 02:57
Location: Canada

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby scarletgirl » 16 Jan 2018 16:24

What are the most important things to note in your dream journal?

In attempt to trigger a second lucid dream after being inspired by the first...I have begun journalling. I dream so much content - 6-10 dreams per night and can remember a whack of detail. It's taking me too long to write it all down! So I've begun to note just certain things - like that I read words or numbers, saw colors, heard music, or encountered a loved one who has died. I guess I'm also looking for items or scenes that recur so I can use them as launching points when I recognize them in future dreams. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Dreaming Life
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Jan 2018 22:31
Contact:

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Dreaming Life » 17 Jan 2018 19:45

scarletgirl wrote:What are the most important things to note in your dream journal?

In attempt to trigger a second lucid dream after being inspired by the first...I have begun journalling. I dream so much content - 6-10 dreams per night and can remember a whack of detail. It's taking me too long to write it all down! So I've begun to note just certain things - like that I read words or numbers, saw colors, heard music, or encountered a loved one who has died. I guess I'm also looking for items or scenes that recur so I can use them as launching points when I recognize them in future dreams. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I think what you're doing sounds like a good plan. I usually recommend folks to write down as many details as they can remember, but that's usually because they are having difficulty remembering everything and this helps with that. You could have a separate journal, or sub-journal, for recurring items? For example, I wrote an online dream journal for 7 years, between 2003 and 10, and had a sub-journal for this thing I call the Mothership. SO anytime the Mothership came up in a dream I'd write that in the journal, then write an entry in the Mothership record as well, like this: https://www.dreaming.life/dream-archive/the-mothership.htm

User avatar
scarletgirl
Posts: 4
Joined: 16 Jan 2018 02:57
Location: Canada

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby scarletgirl » 18 Jan 2018 02:18

Dreaming Life wrote:
SO anytime the Mothership came up in a dream I'd write that in the journal, then write an entry in the Mothership record as well, like this: https://www.dreaming.life/dream-archive/the-mothership.htm



Thanks for your reply! I am starting to notice hotels in a lot of my dreams - so perhaps I'll start a sub-journal about that - good suggestion.

Dreaming Life
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Jan 2018 22:31
Contact:

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Dreaming Life » 21 Jan 2018 03:14

Actually, hotels are a theme in a lot of my dreams too. I never thought about that till just now, now that you mentioned it. I often dream that I secretly own the hotel. Or that I’m in a hotel, get annoyed by someone on the staff then buy the hotel and fire them.

User avatar
LucidCat
Posts: 148
Joined: 15 Jan 2018 08:15

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby LucidCat » 24 Jan 2018 21:19

Dream Journal Question:
Whenever I try to write down a really long and detailed dream I usually encounter the one problem: I remember separate scenes - and they seem to be kind of connected - but I can't seem to get them in a chronological order. Any tips on that?
Tell me briefly about your lucid dreaming journey :arrow: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20305

CARPE NOCTEM

inception03
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 Oct 2017 14:32

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby inception03 » 09 Feb 2018 17:24

Hi there,
I first heard about lucid dreaming about a year ago, and started trying to have one myself. Since than I have experienced a couple of them, but never really made any progress. Every time I succeed in realizing that I'm dreaming, I either wake up or am unable to control them. Only once I made a door appear, which let to an empty room where I summoned a butterfly but that was pretty much it. I also tried rubbing my hands together to stabilize the dream but I got distracted by what was happening in the dream and couldn't do anything. I also haven't been trying to have one very consistently but when I do, I usually succeed after a couple days.
So my question is, how do I actually control my dreams once I'm lucid? Hopefully someone can help me with this!
p.s. I hope my English isn't too bad, I'm pretty young and English isn't my first language. :D

Catycat
Posts: 1
Joined: 22 Feb 2018 21:43

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Catycat » 22 Feb 2018 21:56

Hi

I have an unusual problem. Ever since I was little, I “half woke up” before “fully woke up”. I can feel my surroundings in real life, I but in my head I continue the dream that I had without fully comprehending that it’s a dream. It’s become a habit by now and no matter what I try I can’t get rid of it. When I actually 100% wake up I only remember what I made up while being “half conscious(?)” but not the actual dream. This was only problematic when I tried to make a dream diary. However when I tried other techniques I found myself in similar state (?). I can’t really tell whether I’m dreaming or just making it all up while being awake.

Thank youfor your help

User avatar
Sean Jacobs
Posts: 567
Joined: 23 Dec 2016 22:04

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Sean Jacobs » 27 Feb 2018 17:27

inception03 wrote:Hi there,
I first heard about lucid dreaming about a year ago, and started trying to have one myself. Since than I have experienced a couple of them, but never really made any progress. Every time I succeed in realizing that I'm dreaming, I either wake up or am unable to control them. Only once I made a door appear, which let to an empty room where I summoned a butterfly but that was pretty much it. I also tried rubbing my hands together to stabilize the dream but I got distracted by what was happening in the dream and couldn't do anything. I also haven't been trying to have one very consistently but when I do, I usually succeed after a couple days.
So my question is, how do I actually control my dreams once I'm lucid? Hopefully someone can help me with this!
p.s. I hope my English isn't too bad, I'm pretty young and English isn't my first language. :D


Hi Inception03 (I like the name)

Getting lucid is the first big hurdle for lucid dream. The more often you get lucid the easier it will get to stay in a dream and control the dream. Step 2 is definitely stabilizing the dream. Rubbing your hands is helpful; staying calm is also required; next would be engaging your senses in the dream (touch stuff, smell stuff, listen, look at the amazing details, taste something).

One suggestion is to plan exactly what you will do when you become lucid, and review this in your mind prior to going to sleep each night. If you have a plan you are more likely to succeed. So plan on #1 staying calm, then engaging your senses to stabilize the dream. Then you can plan on what you want to do next, such as flying (my favorite activity in a dream).

I hope this helps.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

User avatar
Sean Jacobs
Posts: 567
Joined: 23 Dec 2016 22:04

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Sean Jacobs » 27 Feb 2018 17:30

LucidCat wrote:Dream Journal Question:
Whenever I try to write down a really long and detailed dream I usually encounter the one problem: I remember separate scenes - and they seem to be kind of connected - but I can't seem to get them in a chronological order. Any tips on that?


Hi LucidCat. When I first wake up from a lucid dream I don't open my eyes or move around. I lay still and think about my dream backward; start from how the dream ended and work my way back as far as I can remember focusing on the details; then I run through it again from beginning to end; then I get up, get my notebook and write it down.

It is very important not to open your eyes or move around. Once you do these things it changes your focus and the lucid dream can slip away. I have had that happen to me in the past.

I hope this helps.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe


Return to “For Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest