How to get into a Lucid Dream?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
FYIJohn

How to get into a Lucid Dream?

Postby FYIJohn » 06 Jun 2012 00:08

Hello, I am trying to understand how to get into my first Lucid dream I really don't understand how to do it.

zebrafriek1

Re: How to get into a Lucid Dream?

Postby zebrafriek1 » 06 Jun 2012 17:48

First of all,before trying to lucid dream, you must be able to remember at least one dream per night.

There are two types of lucid dreams Dream Induced Lucid Dreams(DILD) and Wake Initiated Lucid Dreams(WILD). To have these dreams you must do induction techniques.Some induction techniques used to have DILDs are MILD,reality checking, and autosuggestion. WILD is a technique all its own. I would advise you to research these techniques in great detail as well as others.

I hope this helped and if you have any other questions, ask away.

siddle

Re: How to get into a Lucid Dream?

Postby siddle » 06 Jun 2012 22:03

zebrafriek1, good advice....but I would humbly throw one thing out for consideration. Personal experimentation. I'm not sure about your first statement:
"First of all,before trying to lucid dream, you must be able to remember at least one dream per night."

I have never heard this. In fact, I think there is a big difference between remembering a dream and having dream recall. You might wish to discount this post after I mention that I've been a natural lucid dreamer from birth...fair enough. But as a result, WILD and DILD don't work very well for me at all. Not vilifying them, mind you...just stating that what works for one person, may not work for another....or may change over time.

I also humbly think that recall comes with time. It's never been something I "build up" or practice and improve. I either have dream recall, or I go into a hypnogogic state and retrieve the dream. It's there....always! I've even found a state in which I can see a slideshow of all my past dreams (that one will cause a headache). I filled 2 dream journals that morning...haha! It doesn't really sink in until you cross reference one with the same dream from a journal 3 years before.

So my only advice, is don't give up. Persist through your own learning curve. Find new methods and try them all. zebrafriek1 listed two methods that are great starting points (sure, not for me, but worked great for a lot of other lucid dreamers I know)....could be the method that works best for you.

Oh, and I should cite at least one method I personally use to lucid dream when I wish (mostly during a dry spell). I go to bed around 9-10pm...set an alarm for either 90-minutes or 3 hours. Then wake up....and envision the dream I just had (if you can't...make something up or think of a dream you do remember)....fall back asleep and set the alarm for about 3-4 in the morning. Wake up...stand up (use the facilities.. get a drink of water....whatever) then go back to sleep. To augment this even more...on your last alarm, turn on the tv loud enough you can hear it, but low enough you can fall back asleep. Works about 90% of the time for me....problem is.....day job kind of hinders this method. But in my opinion, once you start lucid dreaming regularly, it's much easier to go back. I think this method works well for me because I constantly question space-time. If you are waking/falling asleep/waking again (rinse and repeat), then your consciousness will get confused enough it thinks reality is dream and dream is reality. Lucid dreams just kind of happen, then.
Again..in my very humble perspective.
He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. --Douglas Adams

Return to “For Beginners”