REM

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
eaglehawk

REM

Postby eaglehawk » 31 Dec 2017 17:46

If I’m doing WBTB or any that requires waking up in REM and I wake at like 3 or 4 1/2 hrs and I have no memory of a dream does that mean I’m not in REM? Whenever I wake up from an alarm at those times I don’t have any dreams to write what should I do +- 10 mins until I land in REM?

RedKryptonite

Re: REM

Postby RedKryptonite » 31 Dec 2017 18:15

eaglehawk wrote:If I’m doing WBTB or any that requires waking up in REM and I wake at like 3 or 4 1/2 hrs and I have no memory of a dream does that mean I’m not in REM?

You likely woke up during an NREM phase,yes. This is especially true if you woke up really groggy and sleepy,but that's ok,just proceed with the WBTB routine you've planned and stay up for at least an hour or 3 at most. (just 30 minutes would probably not be sufficient if you awoke without any dream recall. I can explain at a later time)

You can use a softer musical alarm and experiment with waking times to see when you're likely to be woken during a REM phase later on,but given your situation and goal,don't focus on that right now. the last thing you need is to overload yourself with details. Just be casual with the WBTB routine right now till you catch that first LD. You can add additional details and tweaks later when you've done that.

The only recommendation I could make is stick with just waking yourself after 5 hours for now. it is what personally works for me and I think you're less likely to go wrong with it. you can experiment with the waking times later on.

eaglehawk

Postby eaglehawk » 31 Dec 2017 22:51

Thanks I’m just worried if I stayed up for an hour I would be in able town I get back to sleep also should I not go on a screen during a wbtb or is blue light and advantage in the wbtb

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 01 Jan 2018 05:36

eaglehawk wrote:Thanks I’m just worried if I stayed up for an hour I would be in able town I get back to sleep

Just give it a try. I can still get myself to sleep after being awake for 3 hours provided my place is still quiet.(I realize not everyone can do that though). just avoid Caffeine and any strenuous physical activity.
If you find no issue with going back to sleep after an hour awake,but you're still not getting any LD's,increase it to 1 hour and 30 minutes or 2 hours. Some people need to stay up longer than others to really awaken their critical minds.

Don't forget to have fun/entertain yourself while you're awake!

should I not go on a screen during a wbtb or is blue light and advantage in the wbtb

We actually had this discussion with another member of this forum:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20051

Verdict: No,Exposing yourself to a screen should not have any negative effects on your WBTB attempts. In fact,as I mentioned in that thread,I myself always use the computer to entertain myself during WBTB attempts.

Return to “For Beginners”