Any advice for improving dream recall?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
CatDreamer22

Any advice for improving dream recall?

Postby CatDreamer22 » 24 Feb 2018 03:59

I've been keeping a dream journal for about a month, I have been recording as many dreams as i can remember, and I have been getting plenty of REM sleep. What am I doing wrong? Is there anything I can do to fix this? By the way, don't mention supplements, I can't use those.

LucidCat

Re: Any advice for improving dream recall?

Postby LucidCat » 24 Feb 2018 22:36

What is it that makes you think that you are doing something wrong?

A month is not a long period of time. I needed way longer than that to remember a dream every night and even now there are mornings when I'm totally blank about what I experienced in my sleep. But overall it slowly but surely improved and it will also improve for you.

However, I have noticed some things that help me:
- physical exercise
- meditation/mindfulness
- while meditating before falling asleep I use affirmations like: "I will remember my dream"
- using the dream journal also to protocol if I don't remember a dream
- seeing the lack of recall as part of the process (and trying not to get pissed off or frustrated about it)
- having fun with the dream journal: rereading dreams, adding illustrations, figuring out dream signs and connections, attempts of analyzing recurring motives...
Tell me briefly about your lucid dreaming journey :arrow: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20305

CARPE NOCTEM

yosa2

Re: Any advice for improving dream recall?

Postby yosa2 » 25 Feb 2018 05:08

Dream recall is very difficult, a dream will generally be erratic and the deeper the sleep.

affirmations may be effective, if your focused, also requires you to be relaxed , better to focus on an image or area your familiar with.

Something to remember, dreams are often influenced by daily stress and traumas, sometimes thinking of those things can trigger a memory of a dream; its not a promenant theory, but it has worked for me.

Return to “For Beginners”