How do you all stay motivated?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Beginningdream

How do you all stay motivated?

Postby Beginningdream » 30 Apr 2018 00:34

I’m struggling. This is my third large attempt at lucid dreaming and this is the longest time I’ve consistently done reality checks. The most I’ve ever meditated all of that and I’ve been doing it for 2 months now and I’m just losing hope. I have dream recall but I never do rc’s In my dreams or anything. Idk I just am losing hope on doing this and I really want to but it just isn’t happening. So finally, how do you guys stay motivated? And if anyone else had a lot of trouble with Ld’ing please tell me your story.

goldenrose

Re: How do you all stay motivated?

Postby goldenrose » 30 Apr 2018 17:05

I have, and still do struggle with LDing (due to school and work, I have a terrible sleep schedule). I've stopped and started with all-day awareness, reality checks, mantras, totems, everything one can think of. Now, despite my success still being low after over a year's work, I look toward smaller goals and read other people's success stories to keep me motivated.

By smaller goals I mean improved dream recall, almost becoming lucid, remembering to do reality checks, etc. The most motivating for me is striving toward more vivid dreams - even if I don't become lucid, I have the memory of an astounding experience, and there's always the next night.

Reading other successes helps me a lot as well. Just reading about the breathtaking LDs of others and what is capable inspires me to continue my hard work and keep my patience until I, too, can perform amazing feats.

In summary, compartmentalizing of goals and the successes of others keeps my motivation. I do hope you get your desired results soon, it does take more time for some people than others but that's alright, hopefully the learning experience is enjoyable enough to keep pushing through. :)
Darkness is always held up by the light.

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 30 Apr 2018 20:10

goldenrose has given you VERY GOOD ADVISE. Rome was not build in one day. Go for it without strain and you will reach in time your Goal :)

Beginningdream

Postby Beginningdream » 30 Apr 2018 20:24

erichsa wrote:goldenrose has given you VERY GOOD ADVISE. Rome was not build in one day. Go for it without strain and you will reach in time your Goal :)

Thanks

Beginningdream

Postby Beginningdream » 30 Apr 2018 20:24

erichsa wrote:goldenrose has given you VERY GOOD ADVISE. Rome was not build in one day. Go for it without strain and you will reach in time your Goal :)

Thanks

Beginningdream

Postby Beginningdream » 30 Apr 2018 20:27

goldenrose wrote:I have, and still do struggle with LDing (due to school and work, I have a terrible sleep schedule). I've stopped and started with all-day awareness, reality checks, mantras, totems, everything one can think of. Now, despite my success still being low after over a year's work, I look toward smaller goals and read other people's success stories to keep me motivated.

By smaller goals I mean improved dream recall, almost becoming lucid, remembering to do reality checks, etc. The most motivating for me is striving toward more vivid dreams - even if I don't become lucid, I have the memory of an astounding experience, and there's always the next night.

Reading other successes helps me a lot as well. Just reading about the breathtaking LDs of others and what is capable inspires me to continue my hard work and keep my patience until I, too, can perform amazing feats.

In summary, compartmentalizing of goals and the successes of others keeps my motivation. I do hope you get your desired results soon, it does take more time for some people than others but that's alright, hopefully the learning experience is enjoyable enough to keep pushing through. :)

Thank you. What you said is actually really helpful and strangley i got pretty motivated today. I found that with lucid dreaming you can improve with day to day activities such as a sport. I wrestle an i love it. It makes my day better and i constantly drive to be better at it so when i found that i could actually improve through dreaming I became and still am really motivated. However it is still frustrated because i have been working qute hard and it still isnt coming.

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 01 May 2018 23:42

Beginningdream wrote:I’m struggling. This is my third large attempt at lucid dreaming and this is the longest time I’ve consistently done reality checks. The most I’ve ever meditated all of that and I’ve been doing it for 2 months now and I’m just losing hope. I have dream recall but I never do rc’s In my dreams or anything. Idk I just am losing hope on doing this and I really want to but it just isn’t happening. So finally, how do you guys stay motivated? And if anyone else had a lot of trouble with Ld’ing please tell me your story.

Hi beginningdream! Well motivation is tricky for me. I mean if its not there its not there. Motivation is an emotion so I can't force it. if I don't feel motivated, and I can't well up any motivation, I just let go. I just let go and kind of feel the fear of letting go... What if I completely fall off track? What if I totally forget about LD and find myself, trying in 10 years, like, "Man I wish I stuck with LD back in 2018... I'd be having lots of LDs by now..."

And eventually I've found my motivation returns on its own. And I find myself doing all the stuff again.

I started dream journaling in 2012. I was kind of on-and-off. But I tried pretty hard at LD numerous times. I had less than 10 Lds from 2012 to 2017. And they were very short. They were very cool, and I appreciated them but you know, none of this wild stuff I expected.

I found that there was a part of me who really wanted me to write the dreams down, lucid or not. So I just stuck with that. I realized that if I didn't remember any dreams the last night i felt so empty. And if I got a good haul of dream details I was feeling really full the next day. So I focused really on dream recall for its own sake.

In 2017 I did the total immersion method that I told you about in one of your previous threads. That was when they really started flowing. But those other couple years of dream journaling, without any other LD knowledge, were probably a good primer.

(I didn't know ANYTHING about LD except Dream journal and RC until summer of 2017... Somehow I just never found out about it)

I think one thing thats helped give me more consistent motivation without burn out (yet...) is participating on the forums. Just being a part of LD community. In it for the long haul. I feel like I've gotten to know some people better and I have friends here. So its like ingrained into my life now.

How is your dream recall? Maybe for now, you could just make friends with dream recall itself. Get to know your dream life as it is, without necesarily having lucidity yet. That in it self can be very fulfilling, at least it has for me. Have you had any non lucid dreams that really made you go, "Wow. Dreams are cool."?
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 01 May 2018 23:50

Beginningdream wrote:
goldenrose wrote:I have, and still do struggle with LDing (due to school and work, I have a terrible sleep schedule). I've stopped and started with all-day awareness, reality checks, mantras, totems, everything one can think of. Now, despite my success still being low after over a year's work, I look toward smaller goals and read other people's success stories to keep me motivated.

Thank you. What you said is actually really helpful and strangley i got pretty motivated today. I found that with lucid dreaming you can improve with day to day activities such as a sport. I wrestle an i love it. It makes my day better and i constantly drive to be better at it so when i found that i could actually improve through dreaming I became and still am really motivated. However it is still frustrated because i have been working qute hard and it still isnt coming.

I definitely feel ya on the frustration. I felt that too and still can at times. I had more frustration with dream recall than with LD. But instead of bottling it all up, try to let it out. Talk about it on here or to someone who will listen. I had so many days when I was like, "GRAH!!!!!" I mean going totally primal about being unable to remember a part of a dream I really wished I could. I mean some nights I got so mad about forgetting a dream detail I punched my bed (don't worry no one in my bed with me LOL) and couldn't sleep again all night. So many days I would tell one of my friends, maybe more, "I forgot a part of this amazing dream... I am so upset..." I mean I would be upset like all day! And that is totally fine. it ok to Let it out :)

and yeah I experienced frustration a lot. Actually up until... IDK only a month or two ago... In the last month or two i feel less frustrated. My results are sometimes the same as what i used to get frustrated over... I guess I have more inner peace now? IDK.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

Beginningdream

Postby Beginningdream » 02 May 2018 12:11

LDer Charles wrote:
Beginningdream wrote:

I definitely feel ya on the frustration. I felt that too and still can at times. I had more frustration with dream recall than with LD. But instead of bottling it all up, try to let it out. Talk about it on here or to someone who will listen. I had so many days when I was like, "GRAH!!!!!" I mean going totally primal about being unable to remember a part of a dream I really wished I could. I mean some nights I got so mad about forgetting a dream detail I punched my bed (don't worry no one in my bed with me LOL) and couldn't sleep again all night. So many days I would tell one of my friends, maybe more, "I forgot a part of this amazing dream... I am so upset..." I mean I would be upset like all day! And that is totally fine. it ok to Let it out :)

and yeah I experienced frustration a lot. Actually up until... IDK only a month or two ago... In the last month or two i feel less frustrated. My results are sometimes the same as what i used to get frustrated over... I guess I have more inner peace now? IDK.

You definitely made me laugh and yeah that’s pretty much how it is. All this effort but at the moment I’m getting nothing out of it you know. I just hope it starts to actually progress. I told myself this time I wasn’t going to quit and that I would see it through but now I remember why I’ve quit 5+ times.

Beginningdream

Postby Beginningdream » 02 May 2018 12:11

LDer Charles wrote:
Beginningdream wrote:

You definitely made me laugh and yeah that’s pretty much how it is. All this effort but at the moment I’m getting nothing out of it you know. I just hope it starts to actually progress. I told myself this time I wasn’t going to quit and that I would see it through but now I remember why I’ve quit 5+ times.

Return to “For Beginners”