Which method should I try ?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Anonyme71

Which method should I try ?

Postby Anonyme71 » 26 Jun 2018 07:34

Hi, I'm trying to get a lucid dream since nearly 1 year, each night, but I didnt succeed at the moment. I tried :

- SSILD (exactly with the same timers described on the main topic, I used a mp3 telling me when to change what to focus on)
- FILD : I fall asleep during the first 15 seconds, at the moment i'm trying to do the reality check after something like 10 sec, but I guess its way too short.
ADA/Reality checks : It just didnt work
- MILD : It doesnt change at all the dream or my lucidity.
- WBTB : same.

So I nearly tried every "omg it works the first time" methods, i'm starting to think I will never get a lucid dream -_- Help please ?

SpaceTimeBadass

Re: Which method should I try ?

Postby SpaceTimeBadass » 12 Jul 2018 20:18

SSILD & FILD are both WILD techniques, so I consider them not to be good for beginners. WILD remember is an advanced technique.

ADA & MILD are DILD, which is really more the speed for beginners. But, I honestly don't know if I'd recommend ADA to anyone without some experience with mindfulness practice, generally meditation.

The real thing to lucid dreaming isn't that you do the practices, but it's that you do them correctly. For instance, I didn't see you mention that you're dream journaling daily, nor that you're using reality checks. It's harder to give advice without knowing that you're doing those and how you're doing them. You could be reality checking every day religiously, but if you're doing them wrong it's wasted time and effort. They won't work unless you can actually bring yourself into the present moment to seriously ponder the question, and prove your result, of if you are awake or dreaming. You have to take it seriously and be real about it, rather than "oh, time to RC, let me see ten fingers, alright I'm not dreaming." It's more like "alright, this could be a dream right now, damn looks pretty real for a dream, better test it. Let's see, I'll look at this text and look away and back again, if it's different between glances I'm dreaming, if not I'm awake. Okay, here goes *looks, looks away, looks back, things are the same* alright looks like things are the same so that's evidence for me being awake. Let's try another check, if I can breathe with my nose plugged, I'm dreaming...."

You get the idea. Same with the dream journal, are you adequately describing your dream with enough info to find useful dream signs and other info about your dreams from? Are you finding that happy middle ground between writing too little and writing way too much? How many dreams are you remembering each day? Anywhere near the 5 mark? If not, you might want to work on dream recall and at least remember 2-3 dreams a night.

With both of those things being done well into your regular routine, lucid dreams may come anyway. Techniques are how you really put the intention into reality and MILD is really the best technique for most beginners. WBTB also greatly increases your chances once you know what time is best for you, but finding a waking time and dialing in your waking period for WBTB is a lengthy, month or two long process if done efficiently. I'd say learn as much as you can about the basic practices, RCs and DJ, and focus on MILD if any technique. MILD, I'm convinced, is heavily dependent upon the phrasing of your affirmations. Everyone's different we each understand words differently, and have different associations with words/ideas/etc. So, it seems that some phrases may work better than others, as well there are theories that the subconscious doesn't understand negations and the like to take into account. I have a video about MILD affirmations on my channel that might help "How to Craft the Best MILD Affirmation", if you're interested in honing MILD a bit more. Also, I have found that not wasting my time on the visualization aspect of MILD to work better for me, but that won't be true for everyone. My reasoning is that since the mind experiences thought in much the same way as it does life, imagining is active and not really what we want when trying to sleep, especially for a DILD.

Then there's the basic stuff, are you getting enough sleep to dream? Are you avoiding things that can inhibit REM sleep? Are you keeping the same sleep schedule so that you aren't messing up your WBTB times? All sorts of things to consider, but honestly the best place to put your focus is just to do the most basic LD practices and do them right, regularly, and to the best of your ability. And, of course, anything that helps you be more aware and in the present moment during the day helps a great deal, like meditation.

Hope this helps!
Oneironaut, Writer, & Content Creator. Fan of science, reason, and consciousness exploration.

Solaris_142

Postby Solaris_142 » 13 Jul 2018 06:06

Nice post SpaceTimeBadass.

Just want to add there are techniques galore. And no sure fire get one right now technique unless maybe you just happen to get lucky and you get one right away. But the basic concept is pretty simple really. You make such a habit of questioning if you are in a dream while you are awake that you start doing it in your dreams...

SpaceTimeBadass dialed in more of the details. Though I've personally never needed to make a science out of WBTB to try and determine a perfect time. I just do them when I wake up naturally during the night it works for me. But I wake up naturally often during the night.
Previously known in other dreaming communities as Caradon.

SpaceTimeBadass

Postby SpaceTimeBadass » 13 Jul 2018 15:05

Solaris_142 wrote:Nice post SpaceTimeBadass.

Just want to add there are techniques galore. And no sure fire get one right now technique unless maybe you just happen to get lucky and you get one right away. But the basic concept is pretty simple really. You make such a habit of questioning if you are in a dream while you are awake that you start doing it in your dreams...

SpaceTimeBadass dialed in more of the details. Though I've personally never needed to make a science out of WBTB to try and determine a perfect time. I just do them when I wake up naturally during the night it works for me. But I wake up naturally often during the night.

I have historically done more natural WBTB when I happen to wake up throughout the night, but as of the past year or so, really dialing in the WBTB times has been a great help. Still, I think it's possible to discover the best waking time for you naturally, but it may take a bit more luck. Daniel Love does a great job in his book Are You Dreaming? by explaining what it feels like when you wake up at a good time for an induction attempt. Turns out our mental clarity upon awakening can let us know approximately what sleep stage we woke from.
Oneironaut, Writer, & Content Creator. Fan of science, reason, and consciousness exploration.

Return to “For Beginners”