How to make the transition from hypnagogia to LD.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Allyk47

How to make the transition from hypnagogia to LD.

Postby Allyk47 » 22 Mar 2015 03:53

Subject line says it all.
How do YOU guys personally make the transition?

I've been getting so close to perfect WILDs lately at bedtime. no wbtb necessary.
But 9 times out of 10, I go directly from imagery/auditory hallucinations...
to falling asleep.
(or to getting freaked out and waking myself up entirely.... some of you saw that post, I'm sure.)

Oftentimes I get frustrated because the hypnagogic stuff is just that. And I can't make it any further, into a LD that I can interact with and really *see* and control.

How do you get from the HI to the dream?!

The Cusp

Re: How to make the transition from hypnagogia to LD.

Postby The Cusp » 23 Mar 2015 02:28

I like to use mental momentum. I find it really fleshes out the primitive dream scene quickly and stabilizes things tremendously.

I give a basic outline of the technique I use in this thread.
http://occultcorpus.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26642-momentum/

Amie

Postby Amie » 23 Mar 2015 06:01

Hi -
You know those magic eye books - where you stare at a seemingly random dot image and eventually a 3D image comes into view. Well, that is what it feels like for me to go from the hypnogogic state to Lucid dreaming. You can't force the image to come into view, instead you have to totally relax and allow it to come to you. When I actually make the transition it's as if I'm being pulled from my chest into the scene of the dream.
I think the most important thing for me is to relax and allow - If I try and grasp it - the image fades away.
I hope that helps. Good luck!!!
Amie

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 24 Mar 2015 16:16

I very rarely get hypnagogia but one way Ive used it is to use it to pull me into a LD

eg I had an inch wide patch of colour appear so I thought about bringing it to me or maybe it was me to it closer and closer. To do this I thought about it getting larger as I got closer to it. Suddenly I found myself in the dream and the patch of colour had became the wall paper on the walls around me.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

emberfire012

Postby emberfire012 » 27 Mar 2015 00:17

My hypnogogia is usually just random images that float through my mind while I'm drifting off, sometimes causing hypnogogic jerks or whatever they are called when the hypnogogia shows a scene and I fall somehow, and I jerk awake. Those always happen when I'm just getting ready to fall asleep.
But when I focus on the hypnogogia, often trying to provoke a lucid dream, it turns into a dark tunnel that I fall through, with ocassional multicolor openings. I used to use this "tunnel" to make me fall asleep when I was in preschool or so.
However, I have never had a WILD using hypnogogia, but I hope to one day have one.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

The Cusp

Postby The Cusp » 28 Mar 2015 13:01

Falling asleep is a transfer of awareness from one container (the waking world) to another container (the dream world). Everything requires your attention to exist, so in order to create a dream world, you need to take attention away from the waking world, and place in the dream space. This transfer can be a gradual process (which creates hypnogogics), or it can be a sudden dump which creates an OBE experience.

As you lay there, you gradually begin to lose awareness of your surrounding and your physical body. The frees up that awareness to begin to creation of your dream world. It also explains hypnopompic hallucinations upon waking, were you still have attention in both containers, the real and the dream.

Hypnogogic hallucinations actually work as seeds for the dream to form around. As you gradually apply more attention to this hypnogogic seed , it grows in detail and complexity. It keeps growing until the point where you have more attention in your dream container than your waking one. This crucial tipping point is generally when you acquire your dream body.

I still say momentum is the best thing you can use to quickly fill up your dream container. Any sort of brisk movement, either physical or mental.

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Mar 2015 21:50

Cusp - do you think that putting attention to the HI is the key or just observing and losing attention to the sensory impute that makes daily reality.

The last few years I tend to think a passive observation works well and the dream will often gently form up and wrap around me and I am there
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Mar 2015 05:35

The Cusp wrote:Falling asleep is a transfer of awareness from one container (the waking world) to another container (the dream world). Everything requires your attention to exist, so in order to create a dream world, you need to take attention away from the waking world, and place in the dream space. This transfer can be a gradual process (which creates hypnogogics), or it can be a sudden dump which creates an OBE experience.

As you lay there, you gradually begin to lose awareness of your surrounding and your physical body. The frees up that awareness to begin to creation of your dream world. It also explains hypnopompic hallucinations upon waking, were you still have attention in both containers, the real and the dream.

Hypnogogic hallucinations actually work as seeds for the dream to form around. As you gradually apply more attention to this hypnogogic seed , it grows in detail and complexity. It keeps growing until the point where you have more attention in your dream container than your waking one. This crucial tipping point is generally when you acquire your dream body.

I still say momentum is the best thing you can use to quickly fill up your dream container. Any sort of brisk movement, either physical or mental.

I like your posts as I find them quite interesting though I don't always agree with everything said in them.

The bit about its a crucial tipping point when you acquire your dream body isn't necessarily the case for me. I often can feel myself elsewhere (in my dream body) before I get my dream sight and dream hearing in the other place (I often have my senses split between two different realities at first). It's still extremely easy for me to loose my WILD at that point (till I at least get dream sight into the dream).

And if I add in movement of myself too early before I'm stabilised in the dream enough to move, even when I can feel myself else where and even may be hearing myself elsewhere in a different environment, I can drop out of the dream. (I do use movement of my dream body to stabilise but cant do that till I reach a certain point so often have to rely on the dream itself helping me to stabilise seeing I cant move without drop out risk. By the time my dream sight is in another place, I'm usually safe to be moving if not before that).

Anyway, I wanted to share this as those things are different for individuals.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Mar 2015 05:44

Peter wrote:Cusp - do you think that putting attention to the HI is the key or just observing and losing attention to the sensory impute that makes daily reality.

The last few years I tend to think a passive observation works well and the dream will often gently form up and wrap around me and I am there

I'll be interested in hearing Cusp's views on that too.

For myself I think it varies between different people eg some will loose the HI if they start trying to interact and start thinking too much, for some passive observation will work better. Maybe in these cases thinking too much otherwise may be pulling them away from the sleep state (causing them to be mentally stimulated too much) so being passive with the subconsciousness expressions may be better.. allowing them to flow and intensify like random thoughts.

While others may be closer already to a dreaming state and be less likely to go loosing the HI by focusing hard on it and even interacting with it and in this case can actively use it to pull themselves into a dream.

I rarely get HI in my case but when I do, I think I'm extremely close to the dream state so can interact with it at times.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Mar 2015 05:55

emberfire012 wrote:My hypnogogia is usually just random images that float through my mind while I'm drifting off

I need to look up hypnogogia. I've always thought of the random images or thoughts which can just suddenly float through ones mind as being "daydreams" and not hypnogogia.

What I've always refered to as being hypnogogia is when I see or hear things outside of myself.. eg random floating images "outside" of my head. Not a dream though as one is experiencing being in ones physical body.

I'm now curious about what others here are exactly refering to when they use the term hypnogogia? Please share everyone.

But when I focus on the hypnogogia, often trying to provoke a lucid dream, it turns into a dark tunnel that I fall through, with ocassional multicolor openings. I used to use this "tunnel" to make me fall asleep when I was in preschool or so.
However, I have never had a WILD using hypnogogia, but I hope to one day have one.

That tunnel I think would for most be an easy path to move into a LD if one was able to enter or be sucked into it, I've heard of many using a tunnel to enter a LD. In your case it sounds like you have programmed yourself to "sleep" with it, it would be years of programming in this way to overcome to be able to use the tunnel in a completely different way..to stay completely awake but to take you to a different place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”