Lucid Dreaming and Anxiety/Depression

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
florence521

Lucid Dreaming and Anxiety/Depression

Postby florence521 » 01 Feb 2017 04:48

This is a bit personal but I want to throw it out there in case it can help anyone.

First of all I am new here :) I have experienced LD's accidentally in the past and an interesting discussion on it came up over the holidays with my family which led me to seek some forums and groups about how I can actually hone it as a skill. I have been practicing methods - just dream journaling and reality checks , and have had 7 LD's in 3 weeks. I think that's good progress? :P

One of the first things I wondered about LD is if it can help with anxiety. I have heard of people facing fears and nightmares, but I wondered if it would be healthy at all to be used as an "escape" from reality. Boy was I wrong about that.. but right about helping with anxiety.

I realized very soon your awareness is dream state can be closely associated with awareness in waking life, I think many of you would agree. I had previously tried to dodge feelings of anxiety by going through the day like a zombie, literally living for the weekend. When I experienced the benefits of LD I have forced myself to commit to being aware of my reality as much as possible. This comes with facing all the awful feelings that can come with anxiety - persisting negative thoughts, elevated blood pressure/heart rate, fear and worry. It's no fun having to face these things full on, but the euphoria and endless potential of things you can do in LD's makes it seem worth it to me.

Another aspect that has helped me in waking life is the idea of mind over matter. I have learned LD is HARD because your sense of reality can be so deeply engrained in you that it is hard to create portals, change your environment, or even move around. I am learning to take control over my thoughts and learning that in waking life, much of my reality is solely my mind's perception of events and NOT reality. My anxiety is really induced by my perception of things that happen to me - some specific examples - if my boss makes a suggestion I for some reason perceive it as "yelling". If I make one mistake at work I think I've flubbed my entire career and that I'll get fired the next day. I feel like a failure and I suddenly feel worthless, hopeless, and sometimes even suicidal all from one stupid email or comment. I know it's not reality and having to practice mind over matter has helped me cope with these kind of situations.

I hope this helps someone. Maybe if anyone can relate or if you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear from you.

Pilgrim

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Anxiety/Depression

Postby Pilgrim » 01 Feb 2017 12:41

Wow Florence! I really like your post. Your story will help people, it seems to me.

I do have good luck with dreams. I guess I am hesitant to overstate, because it sounds like a lot of people have some unpleasant struggles with dreams (including various nightmares). I am aware of the happiness and clarity of thought, especially as I am transitioning to wake (even non-lucid dreams). I try to carry over the state of mind to waking life.

You are very insightful that we should be careful of interpreting events too negatively. If you do ever get fired, etc., it is not necessarily your fault. Things happen in life. There are a variety of ways to survive and be happy.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 01 Feb 2017 23:38

Florence521,
I've found that keeping a dream journal significantly helps me remember and explore my non-lucid and lucid dreams. If I'm dealing with some anxiety-producing life situation, often I will meet dream world characters who protect me, and they help me to defend my self against aggressors and to find my way safely through challenging environments.

Here are some useful resources regarding dealing with anxiety. -

(1) Article - "What If The Tooth Fairy Kills Me In My Sleep?" - New York Times - nytimes.com
Includes suggestions from book - "The Opposite Of Worry" by Lawrence Cohen

(2) Website - Health Journeys - healthjourneys.com
Home page - Click - "Guided Imagery 101"
Products - audio CDs - Example - "Relieve Stress' - Click - "audio samples"

(3) Book - "Lucid Dreaming: Gateway To The Inner Self" - by Robert Waggoner
See especially chapters about dream characters and guides.

(4) Article - "Psychological Healing Through Lucid Dreaming" - lucidadvice.com - by Robert Waggoner

Allussy

Postby Allussy » 13 Feb 2018 23:33

It seems to me that inability to combine work and rest leads to chronic fatigue and depression. My coworker suffers from chronic depression. He often falls into apathy, may not come to work without warning. This is very disturbing. Now he is undergoing treatment. He takes antidepressants and smart pills such as nootropicboost.com . He became more attentive and quickly makes his work. He is still sick, but there are ways that help him cope with the disease.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Feb 2018 04:11

I would say that lucid dreaming contributes towards the potential to ameliorate our mental condition because it is practically the equivalent of mindfulness during sleep---so yeah, I believe there are therapeutic ways to use it. The very act of attempting to remain lucid in your dreams is a form of meditation whereby the aim is to focus during the mind's inclination to wander. 8-)

Like mindfulness meditation, lucid dreaming has the power to tackle anxiety, fear and depression. :geek:

I was nervous about my wedding until I had a weird and beautiful lucid dream in the morning of the big day. I woke up buzzing and excited. I was all smiles and even remembered my speech. :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Looty

Postby Looty » 03 May 2018 08:45

There are many types of mushroom and one of them is truffle mushroom, you know this shroom can be used in diff ways like in ingredients for food and for medical purposes also. Because of it Psilocybin, as it turns out, can be therapeutic for anxiety, depression, cluster headaches, and even debilitating menstrual pain. You can read this article so you can learn more about it http://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/magic-mushrooms-illness-and-anxiety/

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”