No success so far, any suggestions?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Geddit

No success so far, any suggestions?

Postby Geddit » 16 Sep 2018 16:36

Hey there,

After another couple of frustrating months I decided to ask for advice. I've tried lucid dreaming for more than two years now, it's been somewhat on and off from time to time though. A few months ago I stated taking it more seriously again. As the title shows, I haven't had any success yet.

Let me tell you what I've done so far:
- set up a dream journal, kept it up to date for a few days, but figured I just can't write early in the morning so I usually record a voice mail of myself talking about the dream instead.
- do reality checks regularly. I even installed an app that reminds me of performing reality checks.
- tried out all techniques that are known to me, everything from WILD to WBTB and FILD and what not
- used binaural beats

I normally have a very good memory of my dreams, so I got that going for me. The closest I get to lucidity is that most of the times when I have a nightmare, I realize I'm asleep and can wake up whenever I want. However, this seems to be my only choice as I still can't take control of the dream.

Do you have any advice for a frustrated dreamer? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Mirach

Re: No success so far, any suggestions?

Postby Mirach » 17 Sep 2018 11:58

Geddit wrote:Hey there,

After another couple of frustrating months I decided to ask for advice. I've tried lucid dreaming for more than two years now, it's been somewhat on and off from time to time though. A few months ago I stated taking it more seriously again. As the title shows, I haven't had any success yet.

Let me tell you what I've done so far:
- set up a dream journal, kept it up to date for a few days, but figured I just can't write early in the morning so I usually record a voice mail of myself talking about the dream instead.
- do reality checks regularly. I even installed an app that reminds me of performing reality checks.
- tried out all techniques that are known to me, everything from WILD to WBTB and FILD and what not
- used binaural beats

I normally have a very good memory of my dreams, so I got that going for me. The closest I get to lucidity is that most of the times when I have a nightmare, I realize I'm asleep and can wake up whenever I want. However, this seems to be my only choice as I still can't take control of the dream.

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried to combine the different techniqes with WBTB, because it is not very usual to have lucid dreams before 3-4 hours of sleeping? (but it isn't impossible)
Or maybe that reality chek simply doesn't work best for you, try a different ones until you find one that suits you best. I am struggling with reality cheks too, I almost NEVER perform them in a dream no matter how much I performed during the day! (And I regulary perform them every day...) I am stil trying to find out wich one is best for me, but I am getting lucid in some other ways...
Try to rise awarnes during the day, you can meditate. Simply being more aware what are you doing or where you are at this moment can help a lot.
I don't know have you tried MILD? It is very good technique for me. It is simple, just constantly repeat: "I will have a lucid dream, I will have a lucid dream..." Or: "I know I am dreaming, I know I am dreaming... Or something like that before you fall asleep. Make sure that it is your last tought before you fall asleep. Do that EVERY single night. That is how I learnt to lucid dream. :D You can combine it with WBTB sometimes, that is wery powerfull!
Someone like to writte that afirmation down a lot of times on the piece of paper, maybe that can be helpful...
Make a list of things you would like to do in lucid dreams it will give you more motivation.
It is imporant to always have some new Ideas and different things to try. You can focus on one thing for some time. For exaple you can try to achieve a WILD for a week or more, and then if it didn't work start practicing something new or return to something which you alredy tried in past and haven't been successful at.
Remember that everyone can lucid dream, just be patient and think positive. Keep exploring new tricks and techniques (or try again an old ones sometimes) on the forums and sites like this. You can buy a book about lucid dreaming too, it will surely help. And experiment a lot! :)

Blindeyesparrow

Postby Blindeyesparrow » 17 Sep 2018 14:20

When you wake up the first time during the WBTB method and then go back to bed, don't go back to the same bed. See if that works. If you have a recliner, prop your feet up like it's a bed and use that, or if you have another bed use that. Train your brain to learn that it is your "lucid dream bed" or "lucid dream recliner" now. With WBTB are you letting your body wake you up naturally or are you setting an alarm to interrupt your REM sleep? What do you read or listen to when you wake up the first time using the WBTB method?

Geddit

Postby Geddit » 17 Sep 2018 21:19

Blindeyesparrow wrote:

When you wake up the first time during the WBTB method and then go back to bed, don't go back to the same bed. See if that works. If you have a recliner, prop your feet up like it's a bed and use that, or if you have another bed use that. Train your brain to learn that it is your "lucid dream bed" or "lucid dream recliner" now. With WBTB are you letting your body wake you up naturally or are you setting an alarm to interrupt your REM sleep? What do you read or listen to when you wake up the first time using the WBTB method?

Thanks for your replies! I have tried all WILD, MILD, and WBTB. It takes me relatively long to fall asleep so I've never been able to keep saying some phrase to me until I finally enter a dream.

I'll try the WBTB bed thingy. I use an alarm to wake me up, I wouldn't wake up naturally in the middle of the night. Also, my SO has to get up at around this time, so there's an alarm anyways.

I'll report back, but if course I'm still open for further suggestions.

Best wishes

Edit: I usually talk to my SO when doing WBTB, so probably pretty incoherent jabber of a tired me :|

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”