a comment on meditation

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
rothgar

a comment on meditation

Postby rothgar » 10 Mar 2013 23:22

Normally the term 'meditation' sort of turns me off as I am not big into the Eastern philosophy I tend to associate with it.... I am more scientific in my approach to lucid dreaming, having learned via LaBerge. But the idea of 'quieting the mind' and shutting down the internal dialog is really great for falling asleep quickly. And that is helpful for lucid dreaming. I read about that, but didnt really practice it. But on my own I developed a technique for doing that. I couldnt easily describe it... I sort of park my mind to the upper right and then force myself to not think about anything. But I suspect others can learn what works for them. It amazes me how fast I will fall asleep doing that. Just wanted to encourage others to not shy away from good ideas due to preconceived prejudices

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HAGART

Re: a comment on meditation

Postby HAGART » 11 Mar 2013 01:05

I question 'meditation' too, and I think that we all do it from time to time whether we know it or not. It doesn't have to be a formal lotus position and you don't have to wear an orange shao-lin monk uniform. If you just stop thinking about what is going on around you and focus on your internal mind then isn't that the most basic form of meditation? And we all do that when we are in bed going to sleep at night whether you were aware of it or not. Albeit, it is the most basic form, but isn't that meditation non-the-less. We have all done it no matter what culture.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Mar 2013 07:41

I am the same and dislike any use of words that places something in a box but do agree that there are ways to focus and means of achieving whatever states we want. As said you dont need to believe in anything to learn how to relax and change states of mind as it is a natural process, how can it be anything else. Whatever works is correct for as long as it works.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

R99

Postby R99 » 12 Mar 2013 07:26

Peter wrote:I am the same and dislike any use of words that places something in a box but do agree that there are ways to focus and means of achieving whatever states we want. As said you dont need to believe in anything to learn how to relax and change states of mind as it is a natural process, how can it be anything else. Whatever works is correct for as long as it works.

HAGART wrote:I question 'meditation' too, and I think that we all do it from time to time whether we know it or not. It doesn't have to be a formal lotus position and you don't have to wear an orange shao-lin monk uniform. If you just stop thinking about what is going on around you and focus on your internal mind then isn't that the most basic form of meditation? And we all do that when we are in bed going to sleep at night whether you were aware of it or not. Albeit, it is the most basic form, but isn't that meditation non-the-less. We have all done it no matter what culture.

am no expert but i can say this, meditation is a term of being in peace, not in sleep. if u guys think that, meditation is just a term to relax, U R WRONG. it is about find the high spot for inner peace. not everybody can do this with out proper method. if u r going with this knowledge about meditation u r teasing great Buddha (did i spelled good?) especially wen u r in to LD. (i never did any meditation).and guys we never do the meditation in our sleep, the brain just shuts down for its recharge mode.if u r tired and nothing bothering u, u eventually fall asleep.

Peter, HAGART i think u guys r expert. u r, but u have lot to learn about the term MEDITATION. as HAGART said formal lotus position,it is not just to look cool wen u do meditation. it is used to get our spine at its best straight position and it makes our breathing in its natural state.and it also makes chi flow, energy flow,chakra, good(wat ever it is) . there is no eastern, western, or what other terms, we r all humans, we got all the same human physic. i hope u understand wat am trying to say, am a bit bad at English too. :)
"A curious mind cannot be afraid of Unknown. It searches for the answers untill the end of time."

Peter

Postby Peter » 12 Mar 2013 07:39

Tend to agree with some of your post but meditation is a state and your are describing a process and only one of many that can all lead to the state of mediation and that is why I dont like the words as they pin our world to the known. Your buddha discovered all of his understanding by travelling and doing and in time he might have used the word meditation for some of that but I doubt he started with that goal in mind.

Hope this makes some sense :)
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

R99

Postby R99 » 12 Mar 2013 07:58

i know its a state, but u guys r saying meditation as a silly matter. rothgar just said that meditation is just a way to sleep. and that wat i dont agree. and nobody didnt even try to explain it. thats y i posted that comment. and a question for u Peter, do u think meditation is just to quieting ur mind? THATS ALL? nothing more to it? wats ur opinion?
"A curious mind cannot be afraid of Unknown. It searches for the answers untill the end of time."

Peter

Postby Peter » 12 Mar 2013 08:34

Simple answer is no I dont, I think it could be a very powerful state and a springboard to a lot of other aspects of mind/

BUT - I dont think its possible to define the state of meditation as I might or might not achieve what would be the end result of meditation, how would I know.

Its like the debate on OBE, LD, Astral planes, its very subjective to what is meant and the experience is like pain. I say I hurt and it feels like 8 out of 10, you say you hurt and it feels like 8 out of 10, is there any real meaning that we can share about pain from that?

Relaxing and mediation are most likely as different as dreaming and lucid dreaming.

R99

Postby R99 » 12 Mar 2013 08:38

thanks Peter, thats all i want to prove. thatnks for ur reply.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 13 Mar 2013 00:14

rothgar wrote:Normally the term 'meditation' sort of turns me off as I am not big into the Eastern philosophy I tend to associate with it.... I am more scientific in my approach to lucid dreaming, having learned via LaBerge. But the idea of 'quieting the mind' and shutting down the internal dialog is really great for falling asleep quickly. And that is helpful for lucid dreaming. I read about that, but didnt really practice it. But on my own I developed a technique for doing that. I couldnt easily describe it... I sort of park my mind to the upper right and then force myself to not think about anything. But I suspect others can learn what works for them. It amazes me how fast I will fall asleep doing that. Just wanted to encourage others to not shy away from good ideas due to preconceived prejudices

There's an opposite concept to what you're referring to.

Look up a fellow named "Adyashanti"... and look up what he called "allowing everything to be as it is".

It's interesting stuff.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

lumencryster

Postby lumencryster » 17 Mar 2013 01:03

rothgar wrote:Normally the term 'meditation' sort of turns me off as I am not big into the Eastern philosophy I tend to associate with it.... I am more scientific in my approach to lucid dreaming, having learned via LaBerge. But the idea of 'quieting the mind' and shutting down the internal dialog is really great for falling asleep quickly. And that is helpful for lucid dreaming. I read about that, but didnt really practice it. But on my own I developed a technique for doing that. I couldnt easily describe it... I sort of park my mind to the upper right and then force myself to not think about anything. But I suspect others can learn what works for them. It amazes me how fast I will fall asleep doing that. Just wanted to encourage others to not shy away from good ideas due to preconceived prejudices

i think of meditation, at the root, is exercise. being turned off of meditation because of its association with conflicting religions(being raised a christian I've seen this happen a lot) seems to me like being turned off of learning to play the guitar because some people use it to play satanic metal. what you did to help yourself fall asleep sounds like meditation to me.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”