The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 4319
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby Summerlander » 28 Nov 2014 10:27

Actually, in a lucid dream, you don't think you did the action at all. You know you didn't because you know it's all a dream. If you thought you did fly you wouldn't be lucid. Lucidity means you are clear about the nature of your circumstances and all you are doing is enjoying the realism of that which you know to be an illusion.

In the same vein, I never ask where I'm moving or the world is moving past me when lucid dreaming. I know motion is illusory to begin with. Nothing is moving at all.

I can be pedantic too, Hagart! :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
deschainXIX
Posts: 918
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 18:18
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby deschainXIX » 28 Nov 2014 18:01

Somewhere there is a thread titled "Lucid Dreaming Ethics." Died young, like most of my threads. The concluding verdict, if memory serves, was of course: Do whatever the hell you want. Doing bad things in a dream doesn't make you a bad person, HAGART. Not if you're consciously aware that you are free of empathy in the dream--thusly your regard for human life is not violated and you may proceed in utter depravity. (I liked Summerlander's example. I've done psychological research for my novels via lucid dreams before. Or even acted out scenes for inspiration when I get stuck.)

I also don't think that space in the real world is any more significant than space in the dream world. If I walk across the room right now, it could be a dream, it could be reality, and I wouldn't know the difference unless I did a reality check--but what does that prove exactly?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

dreamstudent
Posts: 175
Joined: 21 Sep 2014 07:24

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby dreamstudent » 29 Nov 2014 03:34

deschainXIX wrote:Somewhere there is a thread titled "Lucid Dreaming Ethics." Died young, like most of my threads. The concluding verdict, if memory serves, was of course: Do whatever the hell you want. Doing bad things in a dream doesn't make you a bad person, HAGART. Not if you're consciously aware that you are free of empathy in the dream--thusly your regard for human life is not violated and you may proceed in utter depravity. (I liked Summerlander's example. I've done psychological research for my novels via lucid dreams before. Or even acted out scenes for inspiration when I get stuck.)

I also don't think that space in the real world is any more significant than space in the dream world. If I walk across the room right now, it could be a dream, it could be reality, and I wouldn't know the difference unless I did a reality check--but what does that prove exactly?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Your right what does it prove? I think it proves that there are different dimensions within reality all though this leads to a new topic but that's the only explanation I can think of, is that it proves consciousness never ends, it only transitions.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 4319
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby Summerlander » 29 Nov 2014 09:48

How does it prove that exactly?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

dreamstudent
Posts: 175
Joined: 21 Sep 2014 07:24

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby dreamstudent » 29 Nov 2014 10:41

Summerlander wrote:How does it prove that exactly?

[ Post made via Android ][/si] Image

Because of his theory on walking in a room in the real world and walking through a room in the dream world and being able to differentiate between the two realities.

[size=75][ Post made via Android ] Image

User avatar
deschainXIX
Posts: 918
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 18:18
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby deschainXIX » 29 Nov 2014 17:10

I do not see how it proves consciousness is infinite. How does it prove that? It only proves that consciousness cannot definitively differentiate between realities--it only observes perception passively. The act of lucid dreaming is to defy this nature (and we are largely inefficient most of the time).

However, I would have phrased my conclusion differently: There are undeniably two worlds (or maybe no worlds), and those worlds have a lot of commonalities, but they also have a lot of differences. For example, in a lucid dream I can teleport across 100,000 kilometers in the blink of an eye. In reality, that is impossible.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 4319
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby Summerlander » 14 Apr 2015 06:13

I can imagine stealing Angelina Jolie from Brad Pitt. In reality, that is highly unlikely! :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

dreamstudent
Posts: 175
Joined: 21 Sep 2014 07:24

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby dreamstudent » 14 Apr 2015 06:26

deschainXIX wrote:I do not see how it proves consciousness is infinite. How does it prove that? It only proves that consciousness cannot definitively differentiate between realities--it only observes perception passively. The act of lucid dreaming is to defy this nature (and we are largely inefficient most of the time).

However, I would have phrased my conclusion differently: There are undeniably two worlds (or maybe no worlds), and those worlds have a lot of commonalities, but they also have a lot of differences. For example, in a lucid dream I can teleport across 100,000 kilometers in the blink of an eye. In reality, that is impossible.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

but is anything really impossible in the real world and dream world? i quote "Anything is possible, but how probable is it, is the true question" this couldnt be more accurate of a statement for this arguments on this topic

dreamstudent
Posts: 175
Joined: 21 Sep 2014 07:24

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby dreamstudent » 14 Apr 2015 06:26

Summerlander wrote:I can imagine stealing Angelina Jolie from Brad Pitt. In reality, that is highly unlikely! :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image

aha so your admitting there is a chance. visa vi a less likely probability of it happening ;)

dreamstudent
Posts: 175
Joined: 21 Sep 2014 07:24

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby dreamstudent » 14 Apr 2015 06:29

Summerlander wrote:Actually, in a lucid dream, you don't think you did the action at all. You know you didn't because you know it's all a dream. If you thought you did fly you wouldn't be lucid. Lucidity means you are clear about the nature of your circumstances and all you are doing is enjoying the realism of that which you know to be an illusion.

In the same vein, I never ask where I'm moving or the world is moving past me when lucid dreaming. I know motion is illusory to begin with. Nothing is moving at all.

I can be pedantic too, Hagart! :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image

depends how you define action? i mean doesnt it, action -the fact or process of doing something, typically to achieve an aim. so it is technically action and not an illusion. its happening because u make it happen


Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest