Memory Palaces

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Summerlander

Memory Palaces

Postby Summerlander » 30 Nov 2016 21:46

It's been years now since I last experimented with a 'lucid dream workshop' I had devised as inspired by Stephen LaBerge. I wasn't as successful as intended but I wish to revisit the idea having read about mnemonic techniques in Derren Brown's Tricks of the Mind.

Derren Brown talks of 'memory palaces' which can help one to recall just about anything besides exercising visualisation. We can start with real familiar places---such as one's abode, which appears to be immortalised by the lucid dreaming mind in the form of often inaccurate replicas of home interiors---and then we can add to the familiar places with memorised imaginary settings.

My workshop 'existed' inside a mirror in my dream house. The rooms in the workshop were entirely imagined and required memorisation if they were to gain any sort of realism in the dream world. (If you don't memorise your plan well, your subconscious will just fill the dream void with any shit!)

So what I'm saying here is that memory palaces are analogous to lucid dream workshops and both require some mental work in waking life in order to set the desired stage in lucid dreamland.

I'd like to know who here has some experience with memory palaces or lucid dream workshops. (They can be one and the same---or aid each other---but a distinction exists where the former is a mnemonic tool and the latter is a self-integration method.)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

SleepyKitty

Re: Memory Palaces

Postby SleepyKitty » 03 Dec 2016 16:39

Hey Summerlander!

I actually found interest in the idea of memory palace (I call it Mind Palace) since a long time ago after I watched Sherlock TV series. I'm definitely no expert at it, but I can confirm it's a whole new level of memorization and recall.

I chose my house as my memory palace since I read that it's easiest to start with (familiar places), and it's actually working super well for me. I used the mind palace technique to memorize this long-ass complicated algebraic equation that was on my test like months ago (so I could ask my friend about it), and to this day, I can still recall it exactly, but only through my mind palace visualization.

Of course, this is only scratching the surface of what it's capable of, but for me personally, it's still mind blowing. The only problem I'm having right now is ERASING the information that's in my mind palace right now. I still have things from way long ago stuck in my mind palace, and I'm having trouble getting rid of them now to replace with new ones (visualization and such). :lol:

As for lucid dreaming workshop, I'm still far from that level right now, but it definitely sounds like a quite mind boggling idea. I seem to be having trouble with both my mind palace and my lucid dreaming. Life is hard :shock:
Image Meow

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Dec 2016 14:54

SleepyKitty wrote:Hey Summerlander!

I actually found interest in the idea of memory palace (I call it Mind Palace) since a long time ago after I watched Sherlock TV series. I'm definitely no expert at it, but I can confirm it's a whole new level of memorization and recall.

I never watched the Sherlock TV series but Derren Brown talks about being inspired by Hannibal Lecter's use of the technique after reading Hannibal. :D

SleepyKitty wrote:I chose my house as my memory palace since I read that it's easiest to start with (familiar places), and it's actually working super well for me. I used the mind palace technique to memorize this long-ass complicated algebraic equation that was on my test like months ago (so I could ask my friend about it), and to this day, I can still recall it exactly, but only through my mind palace visualization.

I'm usually bad at recalling the names of places I've been to. I recently attended my mother-in-law's funeral at the Mortlake Crematorium and then went to the wake in King's House Sports Ground in Chiswick. To remember this I pictured walking into my house to find my brother-in-law Gary wearing a huge crown and a football kit whilst screaming, 'I'm the king of the house!' In the living room, I visualised a crowd of footballers playing with a ball and stomping the ground. This made it really easy. I recalled the name effortlessly. You're right. We should start with our houses. :)

SleepyKitty wrote:Of course, this is only scratching the surface of what it's capable of, but for me personally, it's still mind blowing. The only problem I'm having right now is ERASING the information that's in my mind palace right now. I still have things from way long ago stuck in my mind palace, and I'm having trouble getting rid of them now to replace with new ones (visualization and such). :lol:

I get what you're saying perfectly. It just sticks in there, doesn't it? That's why I think this mnemonic technique can be useful for constructing new environments in lucid dreams that we wish to have some duration. From our mental abodes we can pretty much visit these new memorable places. The technique is so good that it becomes hard to forget! :lol:

SleepyKitty wrote:As for lucid dreaming workshop, I'm still far from that level right now, but it definitely sounds like a quite mind boggling idea. I seem to be having trouble with both my mind palace and my lucid dreaming. Life is hard :shock:

I think we all encounter problems there. I wish I had known more about mnemonics when I first decided to experiment with the idea of a lucid dream workshop. The subconscious reservoir can be so vast and distracting. But now we can teach our minds to make new conceptions stick as much as our bedroom replicas. ;)

By the way, numbers are not words, and therefore cannot be visually linked. But if each number can be represented by a word, we can link away quite happily! We can use words that rhyme with numbers:

1 - Bun
2 - Shoe
3 - Tree
4 - Door
5 - Hive
6 - Sticks
7 - Heaven
8 - Gate
9 - Line
10 - Hen

:idea: 8-) :idea:

I just love this excerpt from Tricks of the Mind:

'By now you'll have realised that if any of this sounds ridiculous, that really is the point. By spending a few seconds fixing these odd images in your head you are working in tandem with the way our brains make connections, as opposed to the supposedly more "sensible" (and less effective) ways in which we are normally expected to try to remember information.'

~Derren Brown
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 20 Dec 2016 17:36

I love Tricks Of The Mind. Such a good book.

What's a lucid dream workshop?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Dec 2016 15:42

It's a strategy proposed by Stephen LaBerge to control your lucid dreams and attempt to get some organisation in mental content. You can visualise a nexus with a number of rooms which lead to different environments designed to deal with different aspects of your psyche. :)

Google Stephen LaBerge and 'lucid dream workshops. Alternatively, get a copy of his book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 21 Dec 2016 16:01

Coolio

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Dec 2016 02:54

Still reading Derren Brown's book. I highly recommend it to everyone who is interested in what the human mind can do. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

florence521

Postby florence521 » 05 Feb 2017 05:55

A little off topic but you guys need to watch the Sherlock episode the Abominable Bride, if you haven't already. One awesome cocaine-induced lucid dream/memory palace movie. pretty cool!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Feb 2017 16:20

Excellent! Thanks for sharing that! I'm going to check it out right now! :-)

- Padmasambhava

Memory4184

Memory room?

Postby Memory4184 » 15 Sep 2018 10:37

I was lucid dreaming then i asked to see my memory i was instantly taken to a hall with rooms leading to more rooms there where memorys on the floor aranged into what seamed like an avarage computer file looked around for a bit and this strange huge blue falcon looking thing just appeared it cud talk as well it said are you afrade of me? I said well my instincs tell me to stay away from you. To witch he replyed saying shut up fool i am your instincts. At this moment im extreamly confused and slightly afrade i moved along leaveing him behind and belive it or not another animal apeared he was an redish ape he did not speek i followed him for a bit i soon realised i was at the center of all the rooms i looked up to see a larg chandaler on the celin (srry bad grammer) dangleing from it was a sun and a moon with 2 rings orbiting them both the ape finaly spoke and said the sun is easy to distroy the moon however is too high. i replyed saying what do they do? He said they create your memory and distroy it at the same time moon is distruction sun is creation if i have both i can rule your mind. I started to go into a state of mild panick after hearing this and another animal came he was a lion of sorts with his back all scratched up he said you did this to me so we will make you pay. I was confused i asked what he ment he said your a fool you will never understand what you have done to me. The ape and the lion tryed endlessly to get the sun and moon but they cudnt. Then the ape said if only he wuold help us then we would have it by now. The lion said he is too loyal to him too cearing for him ro do that then i woke up and im currantly awake writing this.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”