Short bursts of lucidity

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
RefrigeratedRay

Short bursts of lucidity

Postby RefrigeratedRay » 16 Aug 2018 07:33

Hello! I'm Raymond.

I used to try really hard to become lucid and struggled. However, I've had two instances of becoming lucid in the past week without much effort, so hopefully I've started to get something right.

In the first, I realised it was a dream when I was getting married. I was outraged because I'm already happily married, and it dawned on me the only way this could be happening was if I was asleep. I did my old lucidity test - pinching my nose and realising I could still breathe - and it worked. I was pretty stumped about what to do, so I just changed the location to a nice pub I like in order to get a drink, but drifted out of the dream.

Last night, I realised I was dreaming when I was standing in a car park. I'd read an article saying things felt just as real in a lucid dream as they do in real life, but I had been skeptical so I tested it by touching the floor. It was cold and rough! I was surprised and kept touching it, but then realised I was wasting this precious time. I decided to fly, but the sky was kind of 'glitching out,' if that makes sense - it looked just wrong, black and too 'close'. I tried to picture it as blue with fluffy clouds, and found some success flying by just striking a 'superman' pose. Again, I drifted out of the dream not long after.

So, I wondered if anyone has experienced only having short bursts of being lucid, and if there is a way to extend this time.

Thanks in advance.

iby1337

Re: Short bursts of lucidity

Postby iby1337 » 16 Aug 2018 21:07

Yh just yesterday I had like 3 exremley short lucids like id just get lucid then loose lucidy 3 times but ive also had a long lucid before aswell.

Solaris_142

Postby Solaris_142 » 17 Aug 2018 06:02

Nice work on recognizing the getting married dreamsign.

Yeah things can be very realistic. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time enjoying the realism. I've had my share of lucids where I just walked around in awe of the realism of things and the beauty of it all. Picking things up and turning them over in my hands. Knocking on them to feel how realistic the material seems. Wood metal whatever. It's pretty fascinating. That's actually one way a lot of people try to stay in dreams longer by focusing on the sensation of touch to hold them in the dream. I'd like to try eating more and focusing on the flavor of things. It's something I've not done enough of.

For flying I've always recommended practicing telekinesis. Then just use TK on yourself to fly. TK is one of the best and most fun and practical skill anyways in my opinion because you can use it for so many things in dreams. Once you fly enough though it just starts becoming so natural you just do it without hardly thinking of how. Like walking and talking in waking life. You just do it.

Sounds like you had a pretty good lucid. But they can very in length in general. One tip is maybe easier said than done but try not to think about waking up. When you start thinking about if you might wake up or not it can sometimes cause it to happen or cause a false awakening. Can sometimes depend on what point in the dream you got lucid in too and how long of an REM period it is. The longer you sleep the longer the REM periods are. Keep at it you will be sure to get some longer ones.
Previously known in other dreaming communities as Caradon.

RefrigeratedRay

Postby RefrigeratedRay » 17 Aug 2018 10:35

That's great, thanks for your help. I also read about rubbing your hands together to provide some stimulation to keep you focused, so I'll try that too and report back when I can.

Also, I guess you're right about the enjoying the realism not being a waste. I never thought I'd get so much enjoyment out of just touching the concrete floor, for sure! It was awesome to feel it like it was perfectly real.

I'd love to try eating things too.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”