What is this?

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
fayechristinaxo

What is this?

Postby fayechristinaxo » 24 Feb 2018 13:48

I’m hoping somebody can help -

For years I’ve suffered from a weird state of sleep. Like sleep paralysis, it’s like I’m awake with stuff happening around me. But, I can move somewhat. It’s like I’m magnetised to my bed but with a lot of effort I can roll around usually onto the floor, and every time I move there’s a weird ringing in my head. I haven’t suffered an episode in almost a year, and last night I had one. They eventually turn into weird dreams, where I’m trying to convince myself I’m awake, by waking up my family members, making them show me their phones (I thought you couldn’t use technology in dreams). But these dreams are always malicious, whether there’s somebody stood by my bed with no face, somethings in the shadows threatening me, it all feels nasty. Then when I manage to wake up, I immediately fall back into it. Most times I don’t wake up at all, but it convinces me I’m awake until things get scary again. It once happened 6 times in a row and left me too scared to sleep.
It’s not a standard nightmare because the vibration and the being unable to move freely are exactly the same every time. So is the general feel for the dream. It’s so strange, and I’ve not heard anything quite like it, others have suggested hynogogic hallucinations but from my understanding there shouldn’t be any movement whatsoever.

Shynia

Re: What is this?

Postby Shynia » 11 Jul 2018 15:56

Not sure if you're going to read this, it seems like no one had a good answer to your question. But as someone who has sleep paralysis on a regular base it sounds pretty normal. I had sleep paralysis in different shapes and variations. Sometimes my mind wasn't aware of the paralysis in the first place and I was in a deeper state of dream than in a usual paralysis, that's when I can move a little, with a great deal of muscle energy. Sometimes I can feel that buzzing, sometimes not. But with enough lucidity you can escape every paralysis. The trick is to realize you're in an SP as soon as it strats, no matter how intense it is. At that moment you get lucid and start to ignore everything you hear or see. Best just close your eyes and try to let yourself be dragged deeper into the dream.

I know it can be hard, I felt once a girl lay next to me in bed (where my husband should be), allthough I didn't look that way. I just knew it. And I knew I had a SP, I even knew that I'm going to have one before I fell asleep (sometimes I just can be sure, like when I can't fall asleep for a longer period after waking up in the middle of the night). And then I felt her rolling over to me, her head next to mine (I was laying on my back) and she just said really loud "PSSSSSTTTTT" into my ear. All the time I tried to ignore it and drift deeper into the dream but, of course, it is hard when things like this happen. You have to trust yourself that it's going to vanish as soon as you let yourself be pulled into a dream.

Rebecca

Postby Rebecca » 26 Jul 2018 22:02

Shynia's got it. This is sleep paralysis, and the movement you experience is a dream under its influence. You're conscious while dreaming, so close to a lucid dream, but with fearful overtones because you can't quite rationalise or makes sense of what's happening. My advice is to focus on your breath, try to stay calm, and think about the direction you want your lucid dream to take. Say "I am dreaming" and visualise a nice dream location, or think about flying out the window, and expect it to happen. Then it does. Good luck trying to tame your beast, the good news is it can be converted into a much better experience with lucidity.
Rebecca
Creator of World of Lucid Dreaming
and now Science Me

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 29 Jul 2018 04:07

Yup,Sleep paralysis is nothing to be afraid of

Return to “Sleep Disorders”