Night terrors? Sleep paralysis and false awkenings together in some sort of dreaming levels

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Jago101

Night terrors? Sleep paralysis and false awkenings together in some sort of dreaming levels

Postby Jago101 » 15 Aug 2018 00:59

This is hard to explain I'm wondering if anyone has similar experiences? I've had suggestions it's due to anxiety and stress manifesting itself alongside exhaustion...

I'm in bed and I fall asleep however in my dream I'm dreaming about dreaming about dreaming in bed.... If that makes sense? No? I'll try and explain.

So I will be dreaming that I'm lay in bed in my bed room but each time something is different 1 item is out of place and this changes each night. There will be a lot of suspense and it will all of a sudden go dark, pitch black other than I can see myself in third person but first at the same time and I will be suffering sleep paralysis I can't move then my bed will reappear In the third person view but not the first. I can't scream no matter how hard I try and eventually I wake up, but I'm still In a dream. I know I'm still dreaming because my lamp won't turn on, this part is almost lucid because I know to try the lamp, if it works I'm awake, if it doesn't im asleep, now my dream takes two parts, it could start all again with the darkness and sleep paralysis and I'll wake up and repeat almost like levels of dream and eventually I will wake up for real, the other more common is I'm in the dream and the lamp doesn't work, I lie there scared knowing I'm still dreaming and it's about to start again or it will so I try to sleep withing the dream but as I feel myself drifting into sleep within the dream it starts the darkness the sleep paralysis and that will repeat until eventually I wake up for real and I know because the lamp works. And I'm absolutely petrified when I eventually do wake up for real, I'm sweating and don't want to sleep again for fear it will happen again.

More recently when the paralysis occurs in the dreams within Dreams I think i try to move but obviously in the dream it doesn't seem like I am but I believe in real my body is moving because I'm waking up with bruises on my arms and legs and one night I awoke premeturely which was a relief until I realised that a scream or screech awoke me and the dog was cowering at the end of the bed I fear I must have hit him and I feel terrible..... I can't kick him off the bed I feel too bad has anyone else any similar experience?

The best I can describe it is a false awkening leading to and caused by sleep paralysis leading to and caused by a false awkening like a real vicious cycle

nomorelucid

Re: Night terrors? Sleep paralysis and false awkenings together in some sort of dreaming levels

Postby nomorelucid » 28 Aug 2018 18:04

This has happened to me before and it's very mentally exhausting. Sometimes it only goes one or two "levels", as you so well put it, other times it can get caught in an endless loop. I also have the reality check of trying to turn a light on and it not working, but sometimes I don't realize in the dream to do that. Just last night I dreamt that my house was being attacked by bees and they were invading the house and my family (I don't actually have kids however) was being stung and hurt. I woke up terrified, explained the dream to my boyfriend in bed and he held me while I cried. Then I woke up again, realizing the second dream was a false awakening. This time it only happened two levels, but other times it continually repeats. Sometimes four or five levels deep. Sometimes if I realize it's happening I will try to slap myself in the face in bed and once in a while that will wake me up and snap me out of it. Pretty awful that I spend so much of my time sleeping trying to wake myself up. So in short you are not alone, but I don't have much else to offer you besides consolation. Eerily enough, much of your story sounded exactly like it was my own words.

Jago101

Re: Night terrors? Sleep paralysis and false awkenings together in some sort of dreaming levels

Postby Jago101 » 28 Aug 2018 18:22

nomorelucid wrote:This has happened to me before and it's very mentally exhausting. Sometimes it only goes one or two "levels", as you so well put it, other times it can get caught in an endless loop. I also have the reality check of trying to turn a light on and it not working, but sometimes I don't realize in the dream to do that. Just last night I dreamt that my house was being attacked by bees and they were invading the house and my family (I don't actually have kids however) was being stung and hurt. I woke up terrified, explained the dream to my boyfriend in bed and he held me while I cried. Then I woke up again, realizing the second dream was a false awakening. This time it only happened two levels, but other times it continually repeats. Sometimes four or five levels deep. Sometimes if I realize it's happening I will try to slap myself in the face in bed and once in a while that will wake me up and snap me out of it. Pretty awful that I spend so much of my time sleeping trying to wake myself up. So in short you are not alone, but I don't have much else to offer you besides consolation. Eerily enough, much of your story sounded exactly like it was my own words.

Haha yeah it's weird and terrifying, it's good you have someone with you, I find if someone is there with me it doesn't happen as often, I've been told it's anxiety and stress before

Return to “Sleep Disorders”