Have OBE's changed your views on death? [Survey]

Discuss paranormal activity linked with sleep and dreams, such as out of body experiences, astral projection and psychic dreams.
Samwise

Have OBE's changed your views on death? [Survey]

Postby Samwise » 09 Mar 2016 16:04

Have you ever had an NDE, OBE or other non-ordinary experience that altered your views or understanding of death? If so The States of Consciousness Research Team at Johns Hopkins would like to hear about it. This team is doing amazing work and is worthy of support, and any feedback would be much appreciated.

Dear Friends,

The States of Consciousness Research Team at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine needs your help. We are conducting an anonymous online survey of Near Death Experiences (NDE's), Out of Body Experiences (OBE's) or other non-ordinary experiences that fundamentally altered beliefs or understanding about death and dying.

If you have ever had such an experience, we would greatly appreciate it if you would take our survey. If you know of others who have had such an experience please send them the link and encourage them to participate. This includes people who had such an experience long ago.

Although the survey could take 30+ minutes (the time length can vary based on how much you choose to reply to open-ended questions), we believe you may find this survey interesting.

REASONS TO TAKE THE SURVEY:

1. The survey is an opportunity to revisit and contemplate a significant and possibly transformative experience.
2. You may find it meaningful to further explore some of the philosophical implications of your experience.
3. You will be making a unique and important scientific contribution.

Please share: http://www.deathanddyingsurvey.org/home.html

We deeply appreciate your help. Thank you.

Roland Griffiths, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
IRB approved application: IRB00080423
Last edited by Samwise on 05 May 2016 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Enra Traz

Re: Have OBE's changed your views on death? [Survey]

Postby Enra Traz » 03 May 2016 21:10

No, they haven't. Death means death and the bereaved should be allowed to realistically mourn their deceased loved ones, you know, really say 'goodbye' because chances are that we will never see them again in waking life; you can see dream replicas of them but they are not the real thing. Here's an excerpt from a very thoughtful book:

'I remember I tried hard to feel sad, but I couldn't, and not because I didn't love Grandpa. I did. But he had been ill with multiple sclerosis for ten years or more, and that was most of my life. So I'd never felt I'd known him that well. When I was little he'd sit by my bed and read stories to me. Later I did the same for him. Sometimes it was all he could do to smile. In the end, when he was really bad, Grandma had to do almost everything for him. She even had to interpret what he was trying to say to me because I couldn't understand any more. In the last few holidays I spent down at Slapton I could see the suffering in his eyes. He hated being the way he was, and he hated me seeing the way he was too. So when I heard he'd died I was sad for Grandma, of course--they'd been married for over forty years. But in a way I was glad it was finished, for her and for him.'--Michael Morpurgo; The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Samwise

Postby Samwise » 05 May 2016 17:15

Hi Enra Traz,

You are very welcome to your own perspective, as we all are when it comes to death. But I would be wary about making broad sweeping statements about death because the truth of the matter is no one knows with any degree of certainty what occurs, and many people who have experienced NDE's and OBE's...including otherwise highly educated, rational, sceptical people, including those with scientific and engineering backgrounds...have had their views on death radically changed by their NDE and OBE experiences. So I don't think it is appropriate for you to speak for them. It is absolutely fine to express an opinion, but remember it is just that, an opinion. I've had contact with someone I believe to be deceased. This was not a family member or even a friend, just someone I had met a few times. But I encountered him completely unexpectedly two days after he died. He seemed to be confused and disorientated, like he didn't know where he was and what was happening to him, and I felt the intuitive need at the time to console him and make sure he knew that he and his family would be ok. My sister later told the daughter of this guy and my description closely matched his last week alive (maybe not that strange). But maybe it was just a meaningless dream, but in the content, feel and my memory of this experience, it very much stands apart from any other dream I've ever had.

As Dr Ian Stevenson once said:

"The wish not to believe, can influence as strongly as the wish to believe."

Anywho, I've been in recent email contact with Prof Roland Griffiths, head of the consciousness research team at Johns Hopkins behind this study (I've met him, great chap), and they're having trouble making up the numbers data wise from this survey...he provided some more information on it that I've updated the OP with...I know any and all survey feedback would be very much appreciated by him and his team.

Enra Traz

Postby Enra Traz » 05 May 2016 18:21

Oh there you go again with NDEs and OBEs. Newsflash: None of them are death experiences. They are products of a living brain. As for those qualified people and so-called experts ... many are liars and have been ousted by the scientific community once they decided to stop doing science and pander to fantasists.

By the way, that saying by Stevens isn't always applicable. Many sceptics would like the afterlife to be true and would love to believe but they just can't bring themselves to do it due to a lack of evidence. Since neuroscience has been around, we can see that every mental faculty depends upon a working brain. Period.

Samwise

Postby Samwise » 06 May 2016 13:17

Ah I can see this is going to go anywhere. As I've already stated there are numerous documented NDE reports of people describing in highly accurate detail and in chronological order describing events that were going on around them while lacking flood flow to the brain (as in the case of cardiac arrest) or with a flat line EEG. Based on what neuroscience knows of the brain, this should simply not be possible...i.e. it requires a full functioning brain for a full level of consciousness.

many are liars and have been ousted by the scientific community once they decided to stop doing science and pander to fantasists.

Who are liars in particular?? To me, this is pretty telling that you have already made up your mind on the issue, this is not true scepticism by the way, but something more resembling ignorance. Claiming that all and any researcher's making such claims, especially when they themselves subscribed to a previously materialist reductionist hypothesis when it comes to NDE's, is clearly indicative that you are looking at things through a biased lens...this is not the path to true objective knowledge. The researchers I mentioned in the other thread, despite your sloppy sweeping statement, are not all liars and frauds, they are simply going where their data findings are leading them, rather than blindly following the mainstream scientific consensus because they are afraid of making ripples, which is what any scientist worth their salt should do.

I personally am totally fine with my being annihilated at death. I haven't got a fear based agenda here and I'm a passionate lover of life and living for today. But irrespective of that I would like to know the true picture of things.

Since neuroscience has been around, we can see that every mental faculty depends upon a working brain. Period.

...sigh...well clearly you aren't acquainted enough with the NDE literature then for this to be a worthwhile discussion.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 May 2016 22:04

I think you have been reading the wrong books, samwise, whilst overlooking the ones with real substance. :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Paranormal Activity”