Not sure if I just had my first lucid dream or not.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Pollux16

Not sure if I just had my first lucid dream or not.

Postby Pollux16 » 17 Mar 2015 15:32

Sorry I make this long and if it looks painfully boring to read such a long text, but if you are at least reading this part know that I would greatly appreciate any help, opinion, tip, shared experience or anything you want to share.

I wanna share as much detail as I think it would be necessary to express the doubts I have and so you can judge if I was just having a REALLY vivid dream, or actually a Lucid Dream.

I was really hooked into having my first lucid dream for the past month. I was keeping a dream journal and my dreams were getting more vivid. I was being able to recall more details about my dreams. Doing reality checks was the only think I kept forgetting to do, but I usually did the classic checking your hands a fair amount of times during the day.

But for the past week or so I was having trouble recalling my dreams, and most times I went to sleep, I instantly forgot what I had dreamt. This might have been caused by me being kind of depressed lately due to some personal issues.

But tonight, I slept a lot. I slept for what I think was five or six hours, then did the technique on which you stay awake 15 or 20 minutes then go back to sleep, I'm not sure what it's called.

Found myself having a really vivid dream. I don't want to go too much in detail on this dream, I'd rather give you guys details on how I went from this dream onto what I think was my first lucid dream EVER, so if you guys would be so kind to read until the end, I would love advice and opinions.

The important fact about the dream I was just talking about, I think, is that I remember thinking while dreaming "this has to be a dream", because the dream was so vivid and the scenario was not that pleasant, so I was starting to get nervous if it was real or not. After thinking this, it is gonna become hard for me to explain what happened so, sorry if it gets confusing. The weird thing is that I wanted to know if I was really dreaming, because the dream was so real and I was actually nervous about what was happening on it, but I wouldn't call it a nightmare, I guess it just was a stressful scenario. The weirdest thing was that for just an instant I actually felt my body laying on my bed at the same time I was still into the dream and this made me think, "Yes this is definitely a dream, but if it is, I want to keep dreaming". This is the point where I don't know if I became lucid just by that instant where I felt my "physical body", and saying, yes this has to be a dream, without doing reality checks or anything. I felt that swooping sensation of waking up, of transition to the waking world, and instantly remembered the technique about spinning to stay on the dream, and I did, I didn't wake up. All of this happened on what I think was just an instant, I don't remember an actual representation of myself spinning, but nonetheless I stayed dreaming . At this point I was just in a room or house and this where I actually started doing reality checks, because I still wasn't sure for some reason. I looked at a bottle and it had strange symbols, I turned away and back, and they had changed, then I looked at my hand and I had 6 fingers. So now I was aware and said to myself, "YOU ARE DREAMING".

On that point I didn't feel what I've read most people experience after they realize they're dreaming, that sensation of loosing awareness and focus, maybe because I had already gone through that when I thought about the spinning and all that, so this is the first thing that makes me doubt.

But anyway, from here on I will explain what happened inside my lucid dream and the facts that make me I think I was lucid dreaming, so you can give me your opinions on, if I was still just dreaming, or if I was actually lucid.

From here I started testing what I could do, and putting to test if I could really do anything I could think of. I was inside the house I mentioned before at this point, I remember being in front of a mirror so I started jumping to see if I could stay floating and at the same time, using the mirror to confirm if I was floating or not. I couldn't do it, but then I focused on feeling if my drop was slower or not, and it was, so I guess this was another reality check.
After this, I got out of the house, it was night time, and outside it was just like my neighborhood. I thought "I'm going somewhere else", but I guess because of routine I automatically thought I needed a car, but I wanted to make it more interesting. I tried getting into any car I wanted to and the first car I saw is this (from what I can judge) broken car with the door open, so I guessed someone was in there trying to make it run again. As I'm walking to it I thought, "If I'm really dreaming, and I can imagine anything and it will happen, I'm going to put my hand inside my pocket and I will have the keys to THAT car in there".... and voila!, I felt the keys in my hand as soon as I put my hand inside my pocket, I even moved around and remember hearing the noise keys make. I approach the car and I see a man inside like I said before, trying to get the car to run. It was an old car, but I didn't seem to care, so in GTA fashion I just grab him and take him out of the car. I noticed people looking at me from a distance like, oh my god this guy just stole that car, so I guess I just adopted a badass thief role at this point, a thief who can do anything he wants, and it felt awesome. I get into the car, put the keys in and the car started, but one thing was weird. I remember someone helped me push the car. I'm not sure if my own mind went along with the fact I judged that car as broken but it just happened like that. This is another sign that makes me doubt. Shouldn't I had been able to just go, or some things do happen randomnly like that on a lucid dream and you just accept them? Because some things I remember seeing them from a different point of view, other than first person view. For example, I remember a man helped me push the car because I was looking at it as if I was standing there next to him, but I was actually in the car. Another thing to note is that I don't remember talking out loud, or anyone talking to me, for example the guy that was helping me push the car I don't remember him saying anything. But now back to the LD (or at least I still want to think it was).

After this I started driving around the city, and my destination was just going somewhere where I could meet with someone special, a mall I remember thinking at the time, it just felt adequate. But for some reason I didn't know my way and I was just driving around using a GPS. Here's the third set of doubts.
If I was so aware that I was dreaming wouldn't I had just thought, OK, just stop here, go inside whatever building you want and there, you will be inside a mall. Does it mean I lose awareness of what I wanted to do, or was I just going along with what I was doing at the moment?
But if so, wouldn't that mean I was just accepting what it was happening like any other regular dream?

After this some other things happened, but the dream didn't last much longer after what I just described, but now that I explained how I went into that dream, the things I could control, and the things that make me doubt if it was just a vivid dream or really a lucid dream, I don't want to make this longer by describing more details. I also had a false awakening after that so I don't know if that means I was actually lucid dreaming. I felt someone waked me up and I thought I was late to work. This was really vivid too.

So there it is. I really hope someone reads this and gives me an opinion and some help. Thank you so much for you attention, I know that not everyone finds easy reading such a long story from a stranger but thank you again.

Pika?

Re: Not sure if I just had my first lucid dream or not.

Postby Pika? » 17 Mar 2015 17:27

That WAS a lucid dream, no doubt about it. And is very impressive, considering its your first LD. Man, my first LDs were shit :(

To qualify a dream as a lucid dream, you don't necessarily have to be lucid the whole time. In fact, being lucid for a considerable amount of time takes a LOT of practice, let alone being lucid the whole time.

If you clearly realise within a dream that you are in one and all of your surrounding is just a dream, then it IS a lucid dream, even though you forget it after a few secs. The realisation is important. The length of your lucidity is a measurement of the quality of your LD I think. e.g if someone had an LD and his lucidity lasted only a few secs, it would be considered a lower level of lucidity ('semi lucidity'). And by description it seems that your lucidity was in high enough level compared to the usual beginner. So I have to say, well done!!! :D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Vorsprung durch Technik- "Lead through technology"

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 18 Mar 2015 00:41

The weirdest thing was that for just an instant I actually felt my body laying on my bed at the same time I was still into the dream and this made me think, "Yes this is definitely a dream, but if it is, I want to keep dreaming".

You can be aware of both the real world and the dream world at the same time, though sometimes the "real world" is a second dream running at the same time.

All of this happened on what I think was just an instant, I don't remember an actual representation of myself spinning, but nonetheless I stayed dreaming . At this point I was just in a room or house and this where I actually started doing reality checks, because I still wasn't sure for some reason. I looked at a bottle and it had strange symbols, I turned away and back, and they had changed, then I looked at my hand and I had 6 fingers. So now I was aware and said to myself, "YOU ARE DREAMING".

You're lucky these checks worked. Some people can read in dreams (I'm one of them) and rarely have distortions in them - that's why the best reality check is to ask how you got wherever you are, your real memories kick in and you know in most dreams.

This is another sign that makes me doubt. Shouldn't I had been able to just go, or some things do happen randomly like that on a lucid dream and you just accept them? Because some things I remember seeing them from a different point of view, other than first person view.

Dream control is separate from Lucidity. One can have complete dream control in a normal dream and no control in a Lucid Dream. Even when one has control unexpected things still happen. One can not just be in and out of the dream at the same time one can be conscious, perceiving and thinking separately in more than one body or place at the same time while both of you are aware of each other at the same time and yes you can be in the body of a woman and a man at the same time and have sex or even practice karmamudra (sex yoga).
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Mar 2015 00:38

Pika? wrote: The length of your lucidity is a measurement of the quality of your LD I think. e.g if someone had an LD and his lucidity lasted only a few secs, it would be considered a lower level of lucidity ('semi lucidity'). And by description it seems that your lucidity was in high enough level compared to the usual beginner. So I have to say, well done!!! :D

The level of lucidity is measured by the actual awareness of the person during the LD which can be completely unrelated to dream length. One can have a very long dream with a low level of lucidity or with it coming and going (drifting back to complete unawareness at times) or one can have a short LD which is very clear in which one has 100% normal waking consciousness, the short LD in this case would be the one with the high lucidity.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Mar 2015 00:47

At this point I was just in a room or house and this where I actually started doing reality checks, because I still wasn't sure for some reason. I looked at a bottle and it had strange symbols, I turned away and back, and they had changed, then I looked at my hand and I had 6 fingers. So now I was aware and said to myself, "YOU ARE DREAMING".

Those are both good checks... looking away and then looking back to see if something like writing has changed is often a good check (it doesn't matter if one can read what it says or not).

my bed at the same time I was still into the dream and this made me think, "Yes this is definitely a dream, but if it is, I want to keep dreaming". This is the point where I don't know if I became lucid just by that instant where I felt my "physical body", and saying, yes this has to be a dream, without doing reality checks or anything. I felt that swooping sensation of waking up, of transition to the waking world, and instantly remembered the technique about spinning to stay on the dream, and I did, I didn't wake up. All of this happened on what I think was just an instant, I don't remember an actual representation of myself spinning, but nonetheless I stayed dreaming

I think you "may" of dreamed you spun seeing after you couldn't actually remember experiencing it though knowing you did. So that leads to the question of how much of your experience did you dream you were lucid dreaming instead of being lucid dreaming. I do think you did show that you were consciously thinking (the normal waking part of yourself being lucid) in parts of this dream.

It is also possible to be experiencing two dreams at once and this is what it appears you were also doing at times eg you had your dreaming non lucid self there doing its own thing and was experiencing that doing things differently to what you yourself, your lucid self was doing at times (hence causing you to experience two different versions of events). I think that may of caused you some confusion causing you to start doubting if this could of been a LD. I think though this was a LD.

As far as the false awakening goes... though one has waking consciousness often coming into a false awakening, these aren't classified as lucid dreams unless you actually know you are dreaming at the time you are having the experience.

Pika?

Postby Pika? » 20 Mar 2015 19:06

The level of lucidity is measured by the actual awareness of the person during the LD which can be completely unrelated to dream length. One can have a very long dream with a low level of lucidity or with it coming and going (drifting back to complete unawareness at times) or one can have a short LD which is very clear in which one has 100% normal waking consciousness, the short LD in this case would be the one with the high lucidity.

I was trying to mean the length of lucidity; how much time a person can retain the lucid awareness in the dream. I wasn't talking about dream length. If someone can be lucid for 100% of the dream since his realization, that's full lucidity. Right?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Vorsprung durch Technik- "Lead through technology"

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 24 Mar 2015 16:30

Pika? wrote: ; how much time a person can retain the lucid awareness in the dream. I wasn't talking about dream length. If someone can be lucid for 100% of the dream since his realization, that's full lucidity. Right?

Sometimes when someone refers to being 100% lucid, they just mean as lucid as their normal waking life eg full awareness.. it doesn't necessarily mean fully lucid ALL the dream as they also could be refering to they become completely lucid for some of it. 100% lucid at some point of it unless they say all the dream.

I

somfar

Postby somfar » 12 Apr 2015 09:35

The first time is always the best. It is the awakening into the the reality that you can be aware in your dreams and control them. Kind of a scary thought but one that is true. We are creatures of control, we try to control our waking thoughts and actions but do so very poorly, why would our dreams be any less? When you have your first lucid dream where you become aware and here yourself say......" I"M dreaming " and realize that you are in control at that moment that sends shivers down your spine. There is way to much proof towards the reality that lucid dreaming is very real and should be taken very seriously. It is just the beginning of something that can and will change the course of your life....happy dreaming.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”