More closely integrating with the Inner Self

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
ShrewdSimian

More closely integrating with the Inner Self

Postby ShrewdSimian » 27 Apr 2015 15:15

Given that the Inner Self (or Dreamer of the dream) seems to be much more wise than our external consciousness (what we generally ascribe to "self"), has anyone asked that Inner Self in an LD how to much more closely integrate our external consciousness with it's own?

It would seem conceivable to me that being more intimately integrated and guided by that part of one's "self" during everyday waking existence could have enormous benefits in life.

Snaggle

Re: More closely integrating with the Inner Self

Postby Snaggle » 29 Apr 2015 06:12

The consciousness of your ego is an illusion, but a necessary illusion. One Already is in contact with one's true consciousness. it it constantly interacting with the ego's consciousness. If one were fully united with your true consciousness while awake you would have to deal with hundreds of consciousness all part of each other but all separate from each other too - just too much info and distraction for your ego-consciousness to deal with. The ego illusion of a single consciousness is necessary to deal with the ordinary waking world, though if your were fully conscious you could shut it down as quickly as switching a switch.

There are certain things that show the ego consciousness cracking in lucid dreams or OBE of the awake sort.

#1 Dual consciousness whether in two separate bodies or in a body and disincarnate at the same time. I've never pulled off more than two in a dream; but have been fully conscious when awake.

#2 Meeting with a character and mind linking with them in a dream - when fully conscious your ego still exists and it can mind link with any of the consciousnesses it chooses.

#3 Dream Libraries where one is aware of many dreams running at one and one picks one to enter.

#4 The illusion of joining with a separate universal mind. One is very close to cracking the illusion at this point; but still trapped in it as one thinks it is separate from oneself or the equally false perception that it's a universal mind one is linking with.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

ShrewdSimian

Postby ShrewdSimian » 30 Apr 2015 15:15

All points are pretty impressive. I am nowhere near that level of control with lucid dreaming.

One of the biggest problems I have faced with lucid dreaming is recognizing that it is a dream. None of the techniques I have tried to make myself realize I am dreaming have worked because they operate on the premise of the first person. Everything I practice while awake that I could conceivably use in my dreams to determine it is a dream are ineffective because I almost always dream in the 3rd person as an observer over everything and everyone, including that person that I would term "myself" in the dream. I feel an emotional and sensory connection with "him" over everyone else, even if I'm just watching what he does or what happens to him, but I never really have control over his actions.

In the rare rare instances in which I have dreamt in the first person over my life, I can't see anyone's faces. Their faces aren't blurred out, the perception of them just isn't possible in the dream. In fact, when I try to look at the face of anyone when in a first person formatted dream, I instead see things as if I am them. I can see everything they would be able to see by direct line of sight or through their peripherals...until I try to look at another face, at which point the perspective shifts again or I simply can't perceive the other face somehow. It creates a literal blind spot in my dream vision.

The one single time I was able to see other's faces is when I successfully did a WILD induction during meditation crossed with self hypnosis. The dream only lasted for a few seconds because the sudden and vivid teleportation like effect woke me up with my heart beating out of my chest.

I don't know what to make of all this. Does my consciousness during dreaming just function differently from that of most people's? Or are these common experiences?

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 02 May 2015 01:20

I have had a long-term interest in the psychology of psychiatrist, Carl Jung, including his concept of the transpersonal Inner Self/Higher Self, which is said to organize the whole psyche and be the awareness behind the dreaming, and which may appear symbolically in some dreams, especially during times of major life transitions.

I think keeping a dream journal is an important way to gradually gain more understanding regarding the symbolic language and inner guidance of dreams.
I recommend the following resources, which include discussions of the concept of the Higher Self.

(1) Wikipedia article - "Self in Jungian Psychology"

(2) YouTube video series - "Carl Jung - The Wisdom Of The Dream"
- "A Life Of Dreams - part 1 of 3"
- "Inheritance Of Dreams - part 2 of 3"
- "A World Of Dreams - part 3 of 3"

(3) Book "Man And His Symbols" by Carl Jung (and others)
The 1971 hardback Doubleday (publisher) edition is best - has many color illustrations. (Available in many libraries)
- Includes a very good discussion of The Higher Self. However, regarding the concept of the animus (the male aspect of a woman's psyche), I prefer the book - "Women Who Run With The Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

- (4) Book - "Lucid Dreaming - Gateway To The Inner Self" by Robert Waggoner
Includes discussion of - the hidden observer, inner awareness, inner ego, inner Self, inner Unknown, inner light

- (5) Web search paper - ""The Inner Self Helper And Concepts Of Inner Guidance ..." - by Christine Comstock - scholarsbank.uoregon.edu
(ctrl+) to enlarge text

ShrewdSimian

Postby ShrewdSimian » 02 May 2015 01:25

Thanks for the book suggestions, jasmine2! I will check them out! :)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”