Sleep Paralysis and WILD?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
ShhhSleeping

Sleep Paralysis and WILD?

Postby ShhhSleeping » 16 May 2015 15:55

Hi everyone! A few years ago, I stumbled across lucid dreaming, and instantly decided it would be something fun to try. I increased my dream recall, had a pretty cool first lucid dream, although my control was next to none (Just discovering that I was dreaming was super cool). Anyway, I eventually let it fall the wayside, and quit my dream journal and all.

So here I am, a few years later, getting back into it. A few days ago, I decided to try it again, with no success. The next day, I actually did have a lucid dream and proceeded talking to dream characters and such. Lots of fun. What I did was, I went to sleep saying to myself, "I'm dreaming, and I'll remember my dreams," or something similar. I was having a normal dream, when I woke up. Almost instantly, I was back to sleep and lucid. Which was odd, but satisfying.

But this past night, I was asleep, having a dream that I don't remember, when I woke up again. I didn't move, and I was back into sleep paralysis really quick. Side note about that, it doesn't make me afraid. I was lucky enough to learn about it before it ever happened to me. I just remember that I just have to have my body wake up and I'll be able to move, which is pretty easy to do. But anyway, I was in sleep paralysis for what felt like AT LEAST an hour. I couldn't get back to sleep, couldn't get into a WILD, or an out of body exit (sorry if I mangle the terminology). I even tried to make myself afraid of the paralysis so that I'd hallucinate someone that I could turn into a friendly helper that could get me out of paralysis, but nothing. I kept saying to myself, "Ok, I'm dreaming, so I should just be able to get up and go do whatever I want," but that never happened.

I finally decided to see if I was actually IN a lucid dream, and just in a sort of false awakening where I was still asleep, so I rolled over, did some reality checks, and sure enough, I was still awake, and now out of sleep paralysis. I did this several more times, and a few times I had almost... Hallucinations? Just little 10 second scenarios that played out in my head, and I would try to jump on it and say "I'm dreaming!" but it just resulted in the hallucinations dissolving and me stuck back in my bed.

So, thanks for bearing with me through all this super long post, here's my question: How can I get from sleep paralysis into a lucid dream, or any dream really?

Thanks in advance,

Dalton

taniaaust1

Re: Sleep Paralysis and WILD?

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 May 2015 15:56

But anyway, I was in sleep paralysis for what felt like AT LEAST an hour. I couldn't get back to sleep, couldn't get into a WILD, or an out of body exit (sorry if I mangle the terminology). I even tried to make myself afraid of the paralysis so that I'd hallucinate someone that I could turn into a friendly helper that could get me out of paralysis, but nothing. I kept saying to myself, "Ok, I'm dreaming, so I should just be able to get up and go do whatever I want," but that never happened.

wow, that would suck. I haven't ever heard of someone being stuck in SP for that long. Lucky you don't fear it and it seems you tried many the things I probably would of done eg trying to get scared to start creating a dream that way, rolling etc

The one thing which it seems you didn't do which may of really helped and I suggest to try next time is to think/imagine yourself being elsewhere in 1st person, seeing you couldn't just move out of your body in other ways. This could of instantly teleported yourself elsewhere.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

ShhhSleeping

Postby ShhhSleeping » 19 May 2015 00:23

Okay! I'll definitely give that a shot. I also kept reading more about WILD and it sounded like what a lot of people had problems with was focusing too hard and keeping their mind too awake. I tried relaxing my mind, and it actually worked the very next night. I still need to practice finding the balance between too focused and not focused enough, and I need to work on controlling and staying lucid longer, but it's for sure encouraging to actually be able to do it. Thanks for your response! :D

IronLizard

Postby IronLizard » 27 May 2015 04:31

Wow that is insane! Question for you: Do you sleep on your back? I know for some strange reason, I've had a record of when I sleep on my back SP would happen or really strange dreams would happen. So for the past decade or so I avoid sleeping on my back like the plague. Never had SP since.

ShhhSleeping

Postby ShhhSleeping » 27 May 2015 05:54

I usually sleep on my side or on my stomach. I've always found that sleeping on my back is usually pretty uncomfortable for me, so I just sleep however is natural and just let my body fall asleep. It's hard to do it when you're tired, which I have been lately, so no lucid dreams and not a lot of dream recall for the past few days unfortunately :(

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Return to “For Beginners”