Something I noticed about the word quantum

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Arcus

Something I noticed about the word quantum

Postby Arcus » 30 Dec 2015 01:34

Hello, so while reading through the forums I noticed something I saw in multiple posts. The notion that particles are everywhere at the same time. this notion is false.

A wave function is a mathematical tool, a function that when squared and taken the integral of gives the probability of finding a particle in a certain area. The function itself however has absolutely no meaning. This wave function only has values in certain ranges, but can give probabilities for finding a particle outside of the area we would expect to find it, this is quantum tunneling and has been proven.

What I feel is misunderstood here is that although a particle can be everywhere within a certain range, that range has a limit (sometimes the function just approaches zero, and mathematically still gives an extremely small answer far from the area we confine the particle in (for example an atom) but these values are incredibly small, so physically this has no meaning (I really mean so small you can't even comprehend it, and that's still for areas relatively close to the area we confine it in)

So while the particle can exist in an area rather than a point as a wave, this doesn't stretch as far as people seem to think. As a side note, the wave function for a particle is different to its debroglie wave length. The first has no meaning, the second does, but describes something else.

I hope I didn't anger anyone here ^.^ maybe I assumed you guys saw it this way when you meant something else. In any case I hope I taught someone something :D

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Summerlander

Re: Something I noticed about the word quantum

Postby Summerlander » 04 Jan 2016 00:19

You certainly didn't anger me. About a year ago I read The Amazing Story of Quantum Mechanics by the physicist James Kakalios. I loved how the book described the technology that has come out of scientific breakthroughs; how quantum theory makes wireless communication possible; and the comparison between what sci-fi novelists like Jules Verne predicted for the future and what came to be. Apparently Verne was pretty close with his Paris in the 20th Century. Fantasists even postulated that Verne was a time traveller! 8-)

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 04 Jan 2016 00:49

You can count me as one of those who aren't offended!

I think one of the biggest causes of the wide-spread misunderstanding of quantum mechanics could be summed up in the name Deepak Chopra. Well, that and "The Secret", and "What the Bleep Do We Know", etc.. There's a ton of disinformation permeating out there thanks to the woo community that has decided that "quantum weirdness" = scientific evidence to support their woo. *sigh*

Oh well. Not everyone's a critical thinker willing to do their own research to gain understanding.
Cheers! 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Jan 2016 02:10

A lot of disinformation, rumours and hoaxes are still believed because people often don't do research and want to believe in nonsense--nonsense which is sometimes dangerous. Like the Andrew Wakefield claim that vaccines cause autism--which led many mothers to refuse inoculation for their children with lethal consequences. :roll:

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 04 Jan 2016 16:32

I completely agree Summer.

So now that the problem has been identified, what can we do about a solution?

I think the biggest obstacle is general laziness. You can't force people to want to do something, even if their lives would be magnitudes better if they did it.
:(
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

Arcus

Postby Arcus » 04 Jan 2016 20:32

Well, people are certainly lazy.

I think the best way to help people off this is to find a simple book, or try to explain it too people simply, but clearly. And maybe to correct people where we see mistakes. The point is that quantum doesnt equal supernatural, and in fact just means "a discrete amount" in this case of energy.

Anyway, maybe we can clear stuff up every once in a while

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Jun 2016 11:50

Quantum theory certainly doesn't imply anything supernatural. It can be weird because it takes the form of things we find hard to imagine. But that is as far as it goes. All we are saying is that the universe is full of surprises, some of which outdo human imagination. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

Dane

Postby Dane » 30 Jun 2016 11:45

Arcus wrote:Well, people are certainly lazy.

I think the best way to help people off this is to find a simple book, or try to explain it too people simply, but clearly. And maybe to correct people where we see mistakes.

allot of people don't care enough to let you finish your story nor pay decent and honest attention.
so that would be a waste of time and energy if you ask me.
one can only learn that which he wishes to learn.
atleast that is what my experiences has shown.
ofcourse i mean people in general btw.
I returned from the abyss, as a married man. :D

Return to “Off-Topic”