A new beginning

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Passiflora

A new beginning

Postby Passiflora » 13 Sep 2018 18:20

Hi everyone,

I'm Passiflora. I'm a 28 year old biology student from Germany. I guess depending on what I tell you next I could paint a million different pictures of myself, none of which would be complete... So I'll just give you three random statements about me:

1) I have the best big sister in the world.
2) I don't know what is stronger: my love for coffee or my aversion to olives.
3) I'm currently reading "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer".

Why did I choose the title "a new beginning"? Well, I first learned about lucid dreaming already a number of years ago during my last year in school. We had to write a final thesis in one of our two 'majors' and I chose biology. I was lucky enough to have a teacher that encouraged his students to come up with their own suggestions for the topic and I found sleep in general a very interesting thing. So I wrote about the physiological characteristics of sleep, ways to study sleep and common sleep disorders, all with an emphasis on childhood. I also contacted the sleep laboratory in our town and a nice family allowed me to document and even help out when their child was prepped for the night in the laboratory. The whole thing was really cool :mrgreen:

Anyway, during the literature research for the thesis I also came across the phenomenon of lucid dreaming and I was like wow, how awesome would it be to actually learn to do that! (I think I do remember I had lucid dreams a few times accidentally when I was a child, but far from being able to fly or induce them by will and also I didn't have any for many years...)

Back then, as a teenager, I wasn't very patient in general and then after school my life changed quite a lot and so I just forgot about it without getting really serious until maybe 4 years ago. Then I put in some more effort, read more on the topic, started a dream journal, improved my dream recall quite a bit and even managed to become lucid once, although I got so excited that I immediately woke up...

Fast forward another 4 years, I found this old dream journal ~2 weeks ago, dusty and forgotten again. I hadn't actually remembered many dreams at all lately. But I decided to start up again and set my mind to remember my dreams in order to really take the journey this time and not give up. I think I'm on a good way. My best achievement until now: I had a false awakening from which I really woke up the moment it became clear to me that I'm not in my own room but at my parent's house and that I'm talking to my aunt that lives in Spain :mrgreen:

So, I'm excited to read about your lucid journeys/experiences & I hope to meet many nice people here,
Passiflora

PS: I may have given away another hint at my personality which is that I tend to write lengthy posts on Internet forums :roll: If anyone reaches this part: I'll make an effort to make it shorter in the future :mrgreen:

Solaris_142

Re: A new beginning

Postby Solaris_142 » 13 Sep 2018 18:51

Passiflora wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm Passiflora. I'm a 28 year old biology student from Germany. I guess depending on what I tell you next I could paint a million different pictures of myself, none of which would be complete... So I'll just give you three random statements about me:

1) I have the best big sister in the world.
2) I don't know what is stronger: my love for coffee or my aversion to olives.
3) I'm currently reading "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer".

Why did I choose the title "a new beginning"? Well, I first learned about lucid dreaming already a number of years ago during my last year in school. We had to write a final thesis in one of our two 'majors' and I chose biology. I was lucky enough to have a teacher that encouraged his students to come up with their own suggestions for the topic and I found sleep in general a very interesting thing. So I wrote about the physiological characteristics of sleep, ways to study sleep and common sleep disorders, all with an emphasis on childhood. I also contacted the sleep laboratory in our town and a nice family allowed me to document and even help out when their child was prepped for the night in the laboratory. The whole thing was really cool :mrgreen:

Anyway, during the literature research for the thesis I also came across the phenomenon of lucid dreaming and I was like wow, how awesome would it be to actually learn to do that! (I think I do remember I had lucid dreams a few times accidentally when I was a child, but far from being able to fly or induce them by will and also I didn't have any for many years...)

Back then, as a teenager, I wasn't very patient in general and then after school my life changed quite a lot and so I just forgot about it without getting really serious until maybe 4 years ago. Then I put in some more effort, read more on the topic, started a dream journal, improved my dream recall quite a bit and even managed to become lucid once, although I got so excited that I immediately woke up...

Fast forward another 4 years, I found this old dream journal ~2 weeks ago, dusty and forgotten again. I hadn't actually remembered many dreams at all lately. But I decided to start up again and set my mind to remember my dreams in order to really take the journey this time and not give up. I think I'm on a good way. My best achievement until now: I had a false awakening from which I really woke up the moment it became clear to me that I'm not in my own room but at my parent's house and that I'm talking to my aunt that lives in Spain :mrgreen:

So, I'm excited to read about your lucid journeys/experiences & I hope to meet many nice people here,
Passiflora

PS: I may have given away another hint at my personality which is that I tend to write lengthy posts on Internet forums :roll: If anyone reaches this part: I'll make an effort to make it shorter in the future :mrgreen:

Hello Passiflora. Nice to meet you.

Welcome to the site! It's good to hear that you have made the commitment to Jump into luucidity. You won't regret it! It's a wonderful experience. :) Looking forward to reading how it goes....
Previously known in other dreaming communities as Caradon.

Blindeyesparrow

Postby Blindeyesparrow » 13 Sep 2018 19:31

Hi, so you're from Germany. I'm from the States so I wonder what it would be like to visit Germany one day. Lucky you, having lucid dreams as a child. And yea, I hear lucid dreaming is awesome but I've never experienced it. If dreams are like watching TV, then lucid dreaming must be like finally having access to the TV remote for once. What's your number one motivation for wanting to lucid dream in the first place?

Empyreal Sakaki

Postby Empyreal Sakaki » 13 Sep 2018 21:58

Nice to meet you! I'm new too! Hope you learn as much as me here and have your first lucid dream as soon as possible!!

I love olives by the way haha
LDs: 8
Current dream goal: Petting a Piplup!

Passiflora

Postby Passiflora » 14 Sep 2018 06:54

Good morning,

Thanks for the hearty welcome you all! I got up from another night with non-lucid dreams, but that's fine, they are great as well :D

Blindeyesparrow wrote:Hi, so you're from Germany. I'm from the States so I wonder what it would be like to visit Germany one day. Lucky you, having lucid dreams as a child. And yea, I hear lucid dreaming is awesome but I've never experienced it. If dreams are like watching TV, then lucid dreaming must be like finally having access to the TV remote for once. What's your number one motivation for wanting to lucid dream in the first place?

I've never been to the States, but I'd love to go there some day. Ideally with a lot of time so I'm able to travel around and not just visit one place.

Those dreams I had as a child weren't many and I didn't have the 'remote' either :P It was more like this: Imagine a nightmare where you're going through a haunted house and you're very scared at first, but then something tells you that no matter what happens nothing can -really- happen to you. But then the nightmare still takes its own course, only that you don't fear for your life anymore. :mrgreen:

Your last question is very interesting. I think there are several things that I find very attractive, but I try to pick one aspect. For as long as I can remember I've almost always used the time until I fall asleep actively for my own pleasure. Like when I was reading Harry Potter I would imagine being a student at Hogwarts myself (Btw, occasionally I would incorporate some aspects of this directed imagination into dreams at night). Now with lucid dreaming I guess this would get to a whole new level as it could connect my own stories with the unique feeling of realness that makes dreams different from simple imagination. Of course that's an ambitious goal, before I even think about active dream control I would be very happy to just get lucid in whatever dream story is running on the TV :mrgreen:

What about you, why do you want to learn it?

Blindeyesparrow

Postby Blindeyesparrow » 14 Sep 2018 19:32

@Passiflora

I'd say my number one reason is because of my social anxiety. Wanting to approach people in public places and having non-awkward conversations. I'd also love to visit my old high school where I went to classes years ago. The building was demolished in real life years ago.

I can totally relate to your Harry Potter fantasies being brought to life in lucid dreams. I can't count how many times I've imagined being part of the X-Men and fighting evil.

If you break through and find a fully lucid dream then come back and share it with everyone so we can cheer you on.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”