Reality check not working in dream?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
WildCat23

Reality check not working in dream?

Postby WildCat23 » 30 Apr 2012 21:08

I had a dream this morning (Duh) and in it, I knew a bunch of things were strange. So I went into the bathroom and tried to use telekinetic powers. It didn't work, but I was dissatisfied. I tried pushing my fingers through my hands. That passed too. Why?
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

torakrubik

Re: Reality check not working in dream?

Postby torakrubik » 30 Apr 2012 21:50

Probably because you were expecting it to fail. You have to really, truly KNOW you are lucid to get it to work. That's how reality checks work, they defy every logical and physical rule, so you have to put aside what you deem to be normal and sensible and really believe anything is possible.
Dreaming is my drug

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 30 Apr 2012 22:40

Ok..., that makes sense. I WAS pretty sure I was awake. I remember thinking it was real.
~2112

Celerity

Postby Celerity » 03 Jun 2012 23:58

That happened to me too. I dreamed I got up and tried to push my fingers thru my hand, then looked at my hand closely but didn't notice anything. It sounds like you were thinking about it pretty clearly to notice something was wrong, though. So maybe you were close.

jamiealexander

Postby jamiealexander » 04 Jun 2012 00:18

I think it's always best to perform a reality check that would fail in the dream world, rather than one that would only fail in the real world.

I sometimes use floating as a reality check if I'm 90% sure, but the digital watch is my favorite fail safe.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 04 Jun 2012 03:48

You need to approach these "tests" with a clear mind... you need to completely stop what you're doing and focus entirely upon them. This ensures that you won't fail noticing what's going on. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 04 Jun 2012 04:32

WildCat23 wrote: I tried pushing my fingers through my hands. That passed too. Why?

That check doesn't work for me either. You have to use what works for you. Everything in dreams is based on what you really believe or will to happen. So if you believe your fingers won't go through your hand, they won't. I've been able to use the number of fingers on my hands for RC, but that's getting more difficult and for some people it doesn't work at all. So try different things until you find something that works for you.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 05 Jun 2012 20:55

jamiealexander wrote:I think it's always best to perform a reality check that would fail in the dream world, rather than one that would only fail in the real world.

I sometimes use floating as a reality check if I'm 90% sure, but the digital watch is my favorite fail safe.

So do I just look at my watch and then look away and then back again?
~2112

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 06 Jun 2012 00:21

No check is 100% guaranteed, but the watch checking one is probably the most successful :)
Dreaming is my drug

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Jun 2012 02:19

One of the simplest reality checks that has not failed me is to pinch my nose and keep breathing. Its an odd feeling but a very good check and one that always makes laugh in the dream when I do it
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “For Beginners”