7 False Awakenings...

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
TransSonic

7 False Awakenings...

Postby TransSonic » 08 May 2012 01:10

Hey All,

I had my first sleep paralysis induced lucid dream last night that triggered anywhere from four to seven(!) false awakenings in a row. I posted my technique over here (http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1496), but I figured I'd share the actual content of my dream as well. Normally I wouldn't feel the need to bore people with it, but that many FA's seemed a bit unusual and I wanted to see what the community thought of it. A more detailed description of my technique can be found on the other thread, but the cliffs notes version involves WBTB, "Stop, drop, and roll", and a bit of MILD repetition. After all of that, I felt a very strong vibration and a feeling like I was being sucked into my bed. That's when things got weird...

I opened my eyes and realized that I was still in my bed, in my room, in the same position I had fallen asleep in. It was bright in my room, like it was daylight. I wondered if my experiment had failed and I'd slept through the whole night when I realized that a trio of my friends were in my room, staring at me expectantly. I went to sit up but realized I couldn't move a muscle. I knew I was locked in sleep paralysis, but still wasn't sure if I was awake or not. It dawned on me that my friends probably couldn't have gotten into my apartment alone when one of them spoke.

"Took you long enough." he said derisively from the foot of my bed. "What have you been doing?"

"Sleeping." I turned my head to look at him. "Am I dreaming now?"

"Well how else do you think we got here?" another responded from the doorway.

"Yeah, hurry up and get up!" the third encouraged, leaning on my bookshelf.

"I can't." I told them.

"Why not?" the second asked.

"Because I'll wake up."

"Are you sure?"

I thought for a second. "No." I responded, and began straining my body to move. What followed was the strangest sensation of vibrating and shuddering I've ever felt, until I finally staggered to my feet with a pop! My friends dissolved and disappeared, and I felt the dream start to swirl and fade. I rubbed my hands together and demanded "clarity now!" until my room was as bright and vivid as real life. I made my way outside and recalled my two dream intentions from earlier that night: fly to space and see my friend Kimi. I looked down, and realized I was already levitating. Oh, this is going to be easy! I thought, and I took off, rocketing straight up into the air, breaking into space mere seconds later. I was thrilled to be able to float around and watch the Earth spin below me, twinkling in a field of stars. Looking up, I noticed a spaceship hovering nearby. I flew over to it, reaching it just as a ramp extended, a space suited figure gesturing for me to climb aboard. As soon as I was inside, I heard the ramp close and we sped off. I made my way to the bridge, bustling with activity as we flew. In the center, clad in a white and green uniform (with a neat white headset that I never figured out the function for) and shouting directions at the crew...was Kimi!

"Hey!" she shouted, noticing me. She came over and gave me a big hug. "So what do you think?" she gestured around her.

"This is amazing!" I smiled, taking it all in. "Where are we going? Can you show me around?"

Kimi smiled sadly. "I'm really sorry, I wish I could. But somebody's got to keep these lunkheads from flying us into a black hole."

"Oh." I replied disappointed. At this point, I realize now that I should have done something to cement my lucidity further so I could stay in the scenario, because I said (pretty much involuntarily) "I won't stick around and bug you, then. I just wanted to say hi."

"You should come back sometime, when I'm not so busy." she suggested.

"I will." I told her. With that, I spun around and left...

...and dropped into my second false awakening of the night.

This is one of the three that I'm a bit fuzzier on. I'm not sure if this was it's own distinct FA or part of another one, but I remember waking up (once again, it's light out, so looking back I know I was dreaming) pulling over my alarm clock, seeing that it's not time to get up and going back to sleep...

...only to falsely wake up again, noticing an eerie shadow cast across my window. I live in a garden (read: basement) level apartment, so I always see people walking by my room. I stand on my bed and peer through the slats of my blinds to see a young child with curly hair staring right back at me. Startled, I cry out and jerk back. I move to pound on the window to tell him to go away, when my fist morphs right through the glass.

Pop! Lucid!

I crawled through the window and stood up. "Scram!" I told the voyeristic toddler, and he spontaneously separated into a pair of lap dogs. They scampered away and I looked up to see my landlord, leaning against the side of the building.

"You really shouldn't scream so loudly." he said. "The neighbors might file a noise complaint."

I gaped at him and apologized. Confused at why he'd shown up when I had not seen him in months, I engaged him in conversation and asked him what he was doing in my dream.

"Just checking in, making sure you and your roommate are liking the apartment." he replied. That answer actually kind of shocked me with its rationality to the point where I pretty much lost lucidity and spent the next few minutes talking to him about the apartment (which I was praying he didn't want to see since it was such a mess). We walked up the street a ways until he told me he had to leave.

"Actually, can you let me back in? I don't seem to have my keys." I asked, checking my pockets.

He smiled. "Just do the window trick again."

That snapped me back into lucidity. "I've got a better idea." I told him. I spun around...

...and woke up back in my bed. Again, it was light out and again I realize now that I was still dreaming, but I just checked the clock again and closed my eyes.

When I opened them again, I knew immediately I was dreaming. I don't know how, maybe it happened as a holdover from the dream with my landlord, but I instantly knew. Having already been to space and seen my friend, I cemented my lucidity by rubbing my hands together, went to my front door and said aloud, "Beyond this door will be something fun." I turned the handle, and stepped out into a scene from my sister's wedding.

An event still four months hence.

Smiling broadly, I stepped out onto the terrace (it's supposed to be an outdoor wedding) and looked at my sister, beautiful in her wedding gown as my future brother-in-law gave a moving toast of his love and affection for her. In retrospect I probably should have woken up to write down what he said, because I have never heard him speak with such passion and emotion about anything in his life. Instead, I applauded and congratulated my sister with a big hug.

We'd just toasted with champagne when I realized I didn't want to ruin the event by having a preconception of what it would be like, so I began looking for a window, door or mirror I could escape through, but all I found was a glass display case. My sister followed next to me as I walked over to it.

"What'cha doing?" she asked. I looked up from the case.

"Sis, I know I'm dreaming." I told her, putting a hand on my shoulder. "So I'm going to do something that's going to blow your mind. Who wants to see something really cool?" I called out and a bunch of people looked over curiously.

Taking a deep breath, I plunged my hand through the glass, the material morphing and stretching around my arm as I rearranged the objects in the case. A chorus of 'ooh's' issued from the crowd.

"That's so cool! How are you doing that?" my sister asked. I was about to reply when suddenly the band (who I hadn't even noticed was there) struck up the coolest remix of "The Rifle's Spiral" by the Shins (a song I'd been really into earlier that day) that I've ever heard. I closed my eyes to lose myself in the music-

Big mistake. When I opened them again, I was in my bed. It was again light out, and again I thought I was actually awake. I checked the clock again and, apparently satisfied, went back to sleep...

...only to bolt out of bed what seemed like a moment later. What did the clock say just now?! I looked out the window, it was much brighter than it had been only a moment ago. "Holy shit, it's daytime!" I exclaimed and looked at the clock: 11:49 AM. "Crap, I'm late for work!" I panicked and looked at the clock again: 12:73 PM.

Wait...

I looked back a the clock, which had now wound itself back to 10:24 AM before looking up at the mirror on my dresser. I saw my face, but it was rapidly distorting and missing the beard I had just decided to grow for the hockey playoffs. If that didn't cement things enough, I looked over to my bed and saw my own body, still curled up in the same position I had fallen asleep in.

At this point, I knew I was dreaming. I thought back through the multiple false awakenings I'd just had and realized that I had no way of telling how much time had really passed at all. I was home alone and had earplugs in, there was nobody who was going to wake me up if, in fact, my alarm was blaring at that very moment. I crawled back into "myself" (with a very weird feeling that I can only describe as being a piece of Jell-O on a waterbed) and, with significant effort, woke myself up.

Breaking sleep paralysis was tough, but I remembered reading that kicking your legs enough and taking short shallow breaths would snap you out of it. I woke with a sudden jerk and a gasp of air in the dark, in the exact same position I had fallen asleep in. I checked my clock: 6:26. No alarm for another hour.

After numerous reality checks (I must've looked at my clock and my hands 20 times and checked four different mirrors before I believed I was truly awake) I finally wrote down what had just happened in my dream journal. I'm still in shock even as I write this, I never expected such a chain of false awakenings to be possible! Once I got the details down, I turned the light out, removed my earplugs and rolled over without any induction techniques whatsoever. It sucks to admit, but waking up in each dream worrying about oversleeping your alarm sucked a lot of the fun out of the rest of the night. I slept normally through the next hour and woke up with my first alarm, still buzzing and on high about that night's success.

In spite of the fact that I had gotten paranoid about what time it really was, and the fact that I'm not quite sure how long my chain of false awakenings would have gone on if I didn't put a stop to it, I really enjoyed the experience! I'll definitely be trying it again and experiment with different techniques, but like many amateur oneironauts, all I can say is "Wow!"

MatsuMama

Re: 7 False Awakenings...

Postby MatsuMama » 12 May 2012 00:26

I have similar dream experiences often. When it first started happening, I actually had panic attacks because I had no way to tell if I was awake or not. My very first time, I dreamed that I woke up in a panic and my brother came into my room, sat on my bed and spoke soothingly to me that I was awake and everything was fine...only to wake up again, shrieking. Sure enough, my brother came into my room a few minutes later and tried to reassure me...but that just induced a fit of hysteria because he had just done that. I was inconsolable; it was hours before I could calm down and accept the possibility that I was truly awake.

It took years - and I mean YEARS - before I finally taught myself how to tell if I was still dreaming or not. Lucidity doesn't protect me from FA's, but it does help me keep my sanity and a sense of awareness. I usually look for some of the things you experienced - repeat occurrences (although not reliable, considering deja vu is an awake experience), music playing in the background with no discernible source or playing too loudly and I can't shut it off (happened once when I fell asleep with my iPod on, so beware!), time acting up (turning backwards, moving too fast) - that sort of thing. Usually when I notice these things and realize I'm still asleep, I try to wake myself up. Sometimes the effort just produces another FA, so it's not a totally reliable technique, but eventually (of course) it works and I have to take a moment to watch the clock or wait to see if anything shifts just to be absolutely certain I'm awake. My husband and I also established a safe word - a totally nonsense phrase that only he would know - that would let him help me know I'm awake. I know; if I know the word too, my subconscious might produce a false occurrence, but oddly I've NEVER had a false safe word experience. Another reality check - my sister tried this once, during one of her multiple FA experiences - try calling someone on the phone. Your subconscious cannot (in our experience) accurately mimic another person to a reliable degree. If no one answers, or the conversation is stilted or strange or just plain nonsense, then you're probably still dreaming. (Needless to say, my sister and I have taken to calling each other at odd hours when we need some extra validation of awakeness!)

Such experiences don't haunt me any longer, though it took a LOOONG time to get over the panic and the frenetic attempts to discern awake-state or dream-state. Rest assured that it's possible to master them at least enough to keep your sanity, although they're hardly restful. ;)

dreamerinmiami

Re: 7 False Awakenings...

Postby dreamerinmiami » 09 Jun 2012 00:52

that is amazing! your dreams/FA were awesome. i have been experiencing false awakenings lately but i never get up. i just look around or at the clock and say yes i can still sleep. then i really wake up moments later and now that it was a FA.. i really wanna gain lucidity during one of these because they are so vivid. anyways thanks for sharing.. happy dreams :mrgreen:
What is your definition of reality?

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”