Troubleshooting Lucid Dreaming. Any sort of help is apprecia

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
darkbatteler100

Troubleshooting Lucid Dreaming. Any sort of help is apprecia

Postby darkbatteler100 » 16 Feb 2015 15:18

So I heard about lucid dreaming about 2 weeks ago and I was really excited about it (as are most people) and I started to research a lot about it. I started keeping a dream journal and did RC's throughout the day. My issue is that I've tried multiple methods and I have some sort of issue with each:

MILD: Usually I go to bed with intentions such as "I will lucid dream tonight" or "I will realize that I am dreaming tonight" and I keep saying this in my head but eventually I get distracted and I just fall asleep normally. I do dream but I never realize that I am dreaming. Any suggestions? Should I do this only after WBTB?

WBTB: I've heard that this one is very effective but I always hear different ways on how to use this technique. Some places I hear it's good to get out of bed and look at some videos on lucid dreaming and stay awake for 45 min and then go back to sleep. Some places say to not get up at all and just stay still. Some places say to get up for like 15 min but don't watch any videos. Some places say to couple this with WILD or MILD. Clarifications?

FILD: I've heard that this one was quite amazing and worked a lot but hasn't worked for me yet. When I use this technique, usually it's at like 4 a.m. and I start doing the finger tapping but I just wake up, do a RC, and I realize I'm still sleeping. Is it cause I'm not sleepy enough? Any tips or pointers to keep in mind?

WILD: I've heard that this is the most difficult technique and so I can maybe understand why I can't get the hang of this. Usually I wake up at like 4 a.m. to try this and what ends up happening is that I lay completely still on my back and I focus on my breathing and I just lay there for like 30 minutes without feeling any bit different. I just usually feel a bit more relaxed and edgy but I don't get that feeling that I'm in sleep paralysis or that I'm getting the hypnagogic images. Anything to keep in mind? Should I wake up earlier? Should I lay on my side instead?

I know this is very long, but I would really appreciate some/any help on this. Thank you in advance.

BTW, I sleep at 9 on weekdays and 10 on weekends. This is pretty consistent and I make sure to not use any electronics one hour prior to sleeping.

taniaaust1

Re: Troubleshooting Lucid Dreaming. Any sort of help is appr

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 Feb 2015 15:41

You may have to try a method for 2-3 weeks before you can really tell if it may help you or not, if no progress by then.. try something else (keep up some form of reality checks and dream journaling thou). Seeing you have only been trying for a couple of weeks lots of different things, I dont think you can count them out as wont work for you just yet. I think you should pick a method and give it a serious go daily for at least 2 weeks.

MILD: Usually I go to bed with intentions such as "I will lucid dream tonight" or "I will realize that I am dreaming tonight" and I keep saying this in my head but eventually I get distracted and I just fall asleep normally. I do dream but I never realize that I am dreaming. Any suggestions? Should I do this only after WBTB?

You can try this any time before you go to sleep.. WBTB or as you are doing now. It may be easier with WBTB.

WBTB: I've heard that this one is very effective but I always hear different ways on how to use this technique. Some places I hear it's good to get out of bed and look at some videos on lucid dreaming and stay awake for 45 min and then go back to sleep. Some places say to not get up at all and just stay still. Some places say to get up for like 15 min but don't watch any videos. Some places say to couple this with WILD or MILD. Clarifications?

There is no right or wrong way. Different things work better for different people. Again.. its another you will need to spend a bit of time experimenting to work out what works best for you.

WILD: I've heard that this is the most difficult technique and so I can maybe understand why I can't get the hang of this. Usually I wake up at like 4 a.m. to try this and what ends up happening is that I lay completely still on my back and I focus on my breathing and I just lay there for like 30 minutes without feeling any bit different. I just usually feel a bit more relaxed and edgy but I don't get that feeling that I'm in sleep paralysis or that I'm getting the hypnagogic images. Anything to keep in mind? Should I wake up earlier? Should I lay on my side instead?

If you are doing a techinque thinking its "difficult", it is more likely to be as your subconsciousness is then likely to make it so that is so. Quite a few people find WILD easy even occassionally beginners. There was a beginner on this site not long ago who was a natural at WILD and did this and found it very easy. I myself find WILD the easiest thing to do. It really all varies on the individual.

For myself it often takes more then 30 mins for me to go into a WILD (unless Ive just woken up from a dream and are reentering into it). It usually takes me 45mins and I know another here it takes the same.. while others can do it quicker. You may need to have patience with your first expriences. Also with WILD, many are not aiming for sleep paralyses and hypnagogic images. I usually get neither when I WILD and instead just enter straight into a dream. There is no one technique to do a WILD either.

I focus on my breathing and I just lay there for like 30 minutes without feeling any bit different. I just usually feel a bit more relaxed and edgy

If you are feeling "edgy", you arent really relaxed. You need to be both body and mind relaxed. Sounds like your mind isnt relaxing enough.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”