Why wasn't it like I heard when you realize it's a dream?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
dhannen

Why wasn't it like I heard when you realize it's a dream?

Postby dhannen » 18 Feb 2015 16:28

If having lucid dreams is knowing you are dreaming I am sure I had one this time. I read somewhere on this website you snap into focus and have this wonderful feeling. It wasn't like that for me and in fact nothing changed much. I was told to go to sleep at a time hours before I normally do and I said I'll wake up at like 4 if I go to sleep now. My mom said there's no way I would wake up that early(actually woke up at like 4:25). Somehow there was a point where I remembered that and thought I better wake myself up to proove her wrong. You can't wake up if you weren't asleep in the first place right? I noticed that and tried to push my fingers through my hand and they stuck right in. Then I thought: oh good now that this is a dream I can wake myself up or something. I stopped myself because I remembered I wouldn't want to waste becoming lucid. After that I wanted to tell my family they were in a dream but decided against and after that I woke up. The question I have is even if I knew it was clearly a dream I couldn't fly, be as conscious as in real life, or do anything amazing or fun? I just walked around the living room like I didn't care I knew it was a dream.

taniaaust1

Re: Why wasn't it like I heard when you realize it's a dream

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Feb 2015 01:01

Then I thought: oh good now that this is a dream I can wake myself up or something. I stopped myself because I remembered I wouldn't want to waste becoming lucid. After that I wanted to tell my family they were in a dream but decided against and after that I woke up. The question I have is even if I knew it was clearly a dream I couldn't fly, be as conscious as in real life, or do anything amazing or fun? I just walked around the living room like I didn't care I knew it was a dream.

Do you find the prospect of having a lucid dream at all exciting? (if you dont, you could get an reaction such as such).

On the other hand maybe your waking consciousness wasnt really there and you may of dreamed about being lucid and done those things in a normal dream state???? I find when Im lucid Im like my normal waking self (so if you arent happy in your life and dont get excited easily, this may of happened here).

I suggest to have some fun goals in mind before you have another dream like this, things which would excite you to try and do.

Ive no idea what has gone on with you there.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Feb 2015 01:24

I find that when a lucid dreamer gets the idea to tell family members or friends that they are in a dream to be a hallmark of diminished lucidity. This is corroborated by the fact that you didn't feel focused nor as conscious as in real life. (Although I have also come to realise that waking consciousness is overhyped and many of us go through life like zombies.)

But let's assume that you become fully lucid in a dream and there are no traces of bizarre thinking. If there is never any modicum of excitement, then you are either expecting too much or you are not really that big on the idea of lucid dreaming.

Another possibility is that the cerebral activity that generates the lucid dream state in your head is unusually disconnected from its reward systems.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

dhannen

Postby dhannen » 19 Feb 2015 04:05

Yea its getting late here so I'll try again maybe I should focus on what I'm going to do rather than just knowing it's a dream. I just think it's weird nothing happened so it could have just been me dreaming I was having a dream. Similar to my last dream where I had my first false awakening and went to tell my mom about my dream(even though I was still in one). Wish me luck tonight!

lucidwolftx

Postby lucidwolftx » 19 Feb 2015 08:54

I believe you were at a lower level of lucidity then you think.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Feb 2015 15:07

Summerlander wrote:I find that when a lucid dreamer gets the idea to tell family members or friends that they are in a dream to be a hallmark of diminished lucidity.

I missed that part when I read the dream and agree with Summerlander on this. This probably was the issue.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 05 Mar 2015 08:19

I think it wasn't like you heard, because during your lucidity, you never understood the full implications of your dreaming state or what you can potentially do.
Don't give up on your dreams! Keep sleeping...

Return to “For Beginners”