Saying that you're dreaming without actually realizing it

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Sil

Saying that you're dreaming without actually realizing it

Postby Sil » 23 Feb 2015 05:42

Hey guys. I've got a little bit of an odd recurring situation on my hands which showed itself last night, and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

Essentially, I was in a non-lucid dream, just going about my regular dream stuff (which is mostly just conglomerations of the day past right now since my life is in a boring phase), when I happened to straight up say "I'm dreaming". This is likely because I was working on MILD just before falling asleep, saying the phrase "I'm dreaming" while counting from 100 to 0 (I think I got to about 15 before falling asleep. So close.).

Unfortunately, I didn't actually realize what I was saying and I didn't become lucid at all for the rest of the night, although I was definitely having slightly more vivid dreams from there on out, but nothing lucid (how anticlimactic).

I'd also like to make note of the fact that this happened after getting off a (unintentional) 1-week break from actively practicing lucid dreaming techniques and even reality checks.

I was wondering if anybody else has ever said that they were dreaming in a dream without actually realizing it, and if anyone has a way to curb this problem. Like I said, I've done this a few times (at least twice in the last week), and it's just recently started to become an issue.

Anyways, thanks for your input!

Summerlander

Re: Saying that you're dreaming without actually realizing i

Postby Summerlander » 23 Feb 2015 11:18

That has happened to me, too. It's normal as our mental faculties aren't all there when we dream. The trick is to remember to do reality checks when you catch yourself saying, non-lucidly, that you're dreaming. You can even think of this peculiarity as a dream sign which will hopefully trigger lucidity. If the dream is that convincing that you are in doubt, try the following foolproof RC:

Just stop in the dream and stare at your index finger for 10 seconds (you shouldn't need more than this). Make sure the finger is about 6 inches away from your face. I guarantee you that the finger will change shape, colour, and do other strange things. You might even notice other impossible things in the background. This is known as the Hyper-concentration method highly recommended by Michael Raduga (author of "The Phase"). This should trigger lucidity.

Look for common dream signs, too! Get back to being a dream detective and have a plan of action ready for when you're lucid. Good luck, buddy! :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 24 Feb 2015 02:01

Sil wrote: Essentially, I was in a non-lucid dream, just going about my regular dream stuff (which is mostly just conglomerations of the day past right now since my life is in a boring phase), when I happened to straight up say "I'm dreaming". This is likely because I was working on MILD just before falling asleep, saying the phrase "I'm dreaming" while counting from 100 to 0 (I think I got to about 15 before falling asleep. So close.).

Unfortunately, I didn't actually realize what I was saying and I didn't become lucid at all for the rest of the night, although I was definitely having slightly more vivid dreams from there on out, but nothing lucid (how anticlimactic).

I'd also like to make note of the fact that this happened after getting off a (unintentional) 1-week break from actively practicing lucid dreaming techniques and even reality checks.

That's not strange really, just your own mind repeating what you were doing on like rote. Habits a person has, can easily enter into dreams. I havent had that experience myself of repeating stuff in dreams but then I dont do much of that programming.

I was wondering if anybody else has ever said that they were dreaming in a dream without actually realizing it, and if anyone has a way to curb this problem. Like I said, I've done this a few times (at least twice in the last week), and it's just recently started to become an issue.

I dont understand how the repeating of this in your dreams is an issue (its a good thing and the very reason why we say repeating phases like this when awake and falling asleep..to get our dream selves to start to do same), unless you mean that the fact you dont become conscious is the issue?

These things work more as just a trigger to hopefully at the thought appearing or at saying it in a dream, trigger a person into some waking consciousness in a dream....hopefully enough awareness to then do a reality check etc. Often it does work the first time a person gets that thought in a dream but in your case it isnt a real thought, its just the subconciousness repeating.

Unfortunately they dont always trigger awarenes. If they dont trigger off any awareness, I dont think there is really not much you can do about this and a person may end up having to use other techiques for LD.

As its only happened twice in which you've done it and hasnt triggered off any awareness at all, I wouldnt give up on it just yet but if it happens a few more times without bringing any awareness in at all for you. You should be then trying something else.

Unfortunately if this dont bring awareness to you, reality checking even if programmed into you to do it and you end up doing that just by rote too rather then do it out of conscious awareness, may not bring you into awareness either even with a reality check showing something very strange ..unless a strange result at doing it shocks you into awareness so that is still worth a try under these circumstances to see what happens.

If these techniques of programming things in to bring awareness dont work. You will have to go with completely different LD technique eg something like WILD instead in which you enter a dream already aware. There is no method good for all, so for some they will do better at WILD then with other techniques and this could well end up being the case for you.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Sil

Postby Sil » 24 Feb 2015 18:42

Summerlander wrote:Just stop in the dream and stare at your index finger for 10 seconds (you shouldn't need more than this). Make sure the finger is about 6 inches away from your face. I guarantee you that the finger will change shape, colour, and do other strange things. You might even notice other impossible things in the background. This is known as the Hyper-concentration method highly recommended by Michael Raduga (author of "The Phase"). This should trigger lucidity.

Thanks so much for the tip! I've incorporated that into my reality check routine (in place of the "fingers through palm" check, which almost didn't work in a dream once).

taniaaust1 wrote:I dont understand how the repeating of this in your dreams is an issue (its a good thing and the very reason why we say repeating phases like this when awake and falling asleep..to get our dream selves to start to do same), unless you mean that the fact you dont become conscious is the issue?

Yes, the problem was less of me saying that I'm dreaming (which I've actually done in the past and actually had moments of realization), and more of me not drawing the lines anymore. I remember one dream I had where I straight up said "this is a weird dream", followed by a moment of "wait, did I just... oh, okay, yeah, this is a dream", and then awareness. Unfortunately, these last two times I've said that I was dreaming, I didn't realize what I had just said.

It's very possible that these are symptoms of my break from lucid dream practice. I'm decently sure that now I'm getting back into active lucid dream practice, these will wear off.

taniaaust1 wrote:If these techniques of programming things in to bring awareness dont work. You will have to go with completely different LD technique eg something like WILD instead in which you enter a dream already aware. There is no method good for all, so for some they will do better at WILD then with other techniques and this could well end up being the case for you.

I've given WILD a few tries in the past (as I wrote about here: https://lucidodyssey.wordpress.com/2015/02/08/my-experiences-with-wild-wake-induced-lucid-dreaming/), but I've never managed to pull it off. I actually gave WILD a try last night and ended up catching my mind drifting off in a million different places before just falling asleep. I would love to master WILD at some point since it doesn't require me to realize that I'm dreaming in the moment (something I'm appearing to be decently poor at).

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Feb 2015 10:48

I actually gave WILD a try last night and ended up catching my mind drifting off in a million different places before just falling asleep.

That's a good sign if you are starting to catch your mind drifting just before sleep. Hopefully you'll catch it right after.

Best luck in whatever technique you are trying to work with.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”