Cannibals!!

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
DataTunnel

Cannibals!!

Postby DataTunnel » 25 Feb 2015 05:28

Had an extremely vivid lucid dream a couple of weeks ago that I have to share, both for closure and because I think it's pretty interesting.
I've finally gotten to the point where I can successfully carry my intentions from waking life into my LDs. My recent "intention" or "goal" was to ask the dream (my subconscious) a question.

I was having a dream in which I was at a party, not lucid yet. I left the party and was walking down the street, trying find my car. It was night time. I realized I was dreaming, I just kind of became lucid with no warning. Immediately I recalled my intention of asking a question. I looked up at the very starry night sky and asked, "who am I?". I realized that posing this question was pretty paradoxical in nature, but I wanted to see how my mind would respond to such a conundrum. So nothing happened, at which point I asked again, "who am I?". Again nothing. On the third repetition, I felt something moving underneath me. My body felt as if it was swaying or shifting, very hard to explain. Anyhow I figured I was being brought somewhere, so I kept my eyes glued to the sky. Eventually the shifting stopped and I looked down to find that I was now on a large rock formation in the middle of a body of water. It was still night. I climbed to the top of the structure and saw a group of colorful buildings out across the water. The visual appearance of the buildings struck me as extremely beautiful- the architecture reminded me of temples and pyramids, and each building had this sort of glowing aura. Really pretty. So naturally I wanted to travel to this "town" and see what was up. I arrived very quickly without swimming or walking really- just kind of willed myself there. When I got there, I found a bunch of people mulling about. I eventually noticed that there were human body parts and blood scattered about on the streets (sorry to be gross), and I realized that this was a town full of cannibals. They were a bunch of dark figures with glowing red eyes and they started chasing me. At this point I awoke.

Needless to say, I was extremely unsettled by this. The fact that I asked "who am I?" and I got an answer in the form of a town full of bloodthirsty cannibals both perplexes and disturbs me (I guess you could argue that the cannibal town could just be dream nonsense, unrelated to my question, but it all felt very deliberate). I was tempted to try and interpret this on my own, but that's just too nonsensical considering the question, so I didn't try to assign meaning to anything in the dream. Instead, I asked a few people I know what they thought when I told them the story. One of my friends had a great answer. After I finished the story, he simply said, "Self Consumption". I knew what he meant immediately, in that by asking myself "who am I?" I was figuratively/mentally trying to consume and process myself, just as a cannibal consumes its own kind. This also relates to the problem I've had lately with being too introspective, which has been distracting to me and causing me a bit of anxiety. Introspection, like anything else, is only good in moderation. So after hearing what my friend had to say, my interpretation of the question/answer is this:
Me: Who am I?
Subconscious: You are a person who's constantly asking who you are, and you're consuming yourself. Stop doing that so much.

Of course, I don't accept this interpretation as fact, because interpreting dreams can be unreliable I think. But this is just sort of an interesting perspective on it.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, thanks for reading if you made it this far :lol: . Let me know of any insight or similar experiences or opinions or whatever!

taniaaust1

Re: Cannibals!!

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Feb 2015 12:25

The visual appearance of the buildings struck me as extremely beautiful- the architecture reminded me of temples and pyramids, and each building had this sort of glowing aura. Really pretty. So naturally I wanted to travel to this "town" and see what was up. I arrived very quickly without swimming or walking really- just kind of willed myself there. When I got there, I found a bunch of people mulling about. I eventually noticed that there were human body parts and blood scattered about on the streets (sorry to be gross), and I realized that this was a town full of cannibals.

:lol: That's so funny. Our subconciousness often too has a sense of humour, I know my own does.

I liked your friends interpretation and it could be something like that.

As you realise dreams can be intrepreted many different ways, when I try to interprete a dream I look for symbolism of different symbols but which carry exactly the same meaning, to help me know Im on right track of the interpretation. (I cant see any of that in the description thou you gave).

This dream could also be interpretated as a health warning for something like cancer (cannibals)..with the town representing oneself. In that case the town would be also saying that you are beautiful (but has an issue..cannibals). If you are ignoring any signs of health issues you may want to consider getting them checked out.

You really need to sense your dream out for yourself... there is probably tons of possible interpretations for this dream.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 25 Feb 2015 22:08

Hey thanks for reading/responding!
taniaaust1 wrote::lol: That's so funny. Our subconciousness often too has a sense of humour, I know my own does

Yeah I'm definitely seeing more and more how sarcastic and sort of playful my subconscious can be. Not all the time, but quite often.
when I try to interprete a dream I look for symbolism of different symbols but which carry exactly the same meaning.

I really like this idea of multiple dream symbols pointing to a similar meaning. Never thought of it before but it sounds like it would be pretty reliable.
This dream could also be interpretated as a health warning for something like cancer (cannibals)..with the town representing oneself. In that case the town would be also saying that you are beautiful (but has an issue..cannibals).

That's a scary thought but definitely a valid interpretation. I think I'm healthy but who knows! However I agree with the symbolism- the beautiful town representing me and the cannibals being an unwanted piece of myself/foreign intruder. I looked at it in a very similar way but from a more mental standpoint rather than a physical one. As in, the beautiful town is my state of mind and the cannibals are the unwanted personality traits/mental habits that I have (such as my anxiety)
You really need to sense your dream out for yourself... there is probably tons of possible interpretations for this dream.

I agree 100%. It's funny, my interpretations tend to change over time. And I believe there are layers to interpreting dreams, you can sort of look into it as deeply as you want to and find all sorts of meaning, or you can even take it for what it is on a literal level, and anywhere in between.

Thanks for the input, got me thinking along different lines!

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 26 Feb 2015 05:30

Over the years, I have had intermittent dream encounters with many different kinds of strange, challenging, sometimes life threatening, dream characters or situations.

I may be able to relate some dream difficulties and emotions to certain personal life situations or attitudes. I have also noticed that particularly negative, disturbing reports about national or world news may cause me to dream about being in a house or city that is under attack in some way.

If I've been trying to improve my dream recall, or have more lucid dreams, then my unconscious mind might send me a dramatic or bizarre dream, seemingly to trigger my lucidity or dream memory.

Regarding your dream about cannibals, are you trying to deal with some negative situation or contrary person, which feels like a drain on your life energy? - an energy cannibal?

If you have recurring dreams about threatening enemies, sometimes it may be necessary to develop more feelings of personal power by fighting your attackers. Other times, you can imagine turning around and asking your pursuers, "Why are you chasing me? What do you want?

If you make an effort to send love to dream enemies, sometimes they turn into dream friends.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 27 Feb 2015 12:30

DataTunnel wrote: As in, the beautiful town is my state of mind and the cannibals are the unwanted personality traits/mental habits that I have (such as my anxiety)

Yeah.. anxiety eats away at a person so cannibals would be a good symbol for it too.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”