Dream Sharing

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
TheDude

Dream Sharing

Postby TheDude » 25 Feb 2015 23:04

In this subject I am proposing a challenge: Create a method for dream sharing.

It seems obvious that this would have to be done between multiple people with deep connections to each other and they would both have to be experienced LD'ers, but just in case it's not, it is now. :D

Any research you can find on this subject is welcomed and appreciated; as are theories. Be sure to site your sources.

P.S I do not think that it is likely for there to be a method that consistently works for multiple groups of people or if it is even possible, but I think it would be both entertaining and interesting to explore this topic.
“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.”
- Walt Disney

jasmine2

Re: Dream Sharing

Postby jasmine2 » 26 Feb 2015 04:41

At this website, Rebecca Turner has an interesting article about mutual dreaming. On the Home page, click tab "Articles", then Category - "Paranormal" - scroll down to article -
- "Mutual Dreaming: Is Group Dreaming Possible?"

Also, web search - article -
- "Dream Partners: An Ongoing Experiment In Lucid Dreaming Sharing" - by Maria Isabel Pita - dreamstudies.org

TheDude

Postby TheDude » 26 Feb 2015 05:18

Since you took up the position that there is no such thing as dream sharing I must ask you: what scientific evidence do you have that dream sharing does not exist. I may have jumped to conclusions, but it seems like you based your stance on the matter solely off of personal experience.

Maybe you and your friends need to establish a deeper connection or maybe you are right; in either case I feel the need to share the Ullman and Krippner experiments. In short, one of these experiments which took place at a rock concert was successful in turning a group of people into a source of a telepathic signal. There were five people all within 100 miles of the concert who served as telepathic receivers; they were told to record their dreams at 12:00 midnight. One of the receivers recorded dreaming about a pheonix which was an item on one of the slide shows that was shown at the concert. One of the others could not sleep but thought of a large number of birds flying over water. I first heard about these experiments along with others on an article on this site; here's a link: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/what-is-the-evidence-for-dream-telepathy.html

This could be a coincidence, but I'm not quite convinced that it is due to other studies that had similar results. If we assume that it is not a coincidence - which I will do briefly to consider all of the possibilities. This means that dream sharing is not an obtainable concept. It is now a very real possibility. The challenge is now finding two individuals who share a deep enough connection and even tougher still are experienced lucid dreamers, who could potentially pull it off.

If it is a coincidence, than this thread is meaningless and we just wasted our time. ;)
- Walt Disney

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 26 Feb 2015 08:26

TheDude wrote:In this subject I am proposing a challenge: Create a method for dream sharing.

It seems obvious that this would have to be done between multiple people with deep connections to each other and they would both have to be experienced LD'ers, but just in case it's not, it is now. :D

Any research you can find on this subject is welcomed and appreciated; as are theories. Be sure to site your sources.

P.S I do not think that it is likely for there to be a method that consistently works for multiple groups of people or if it is even possible, but I think it would be both entertaining and interesting to explore this topic.

I believe dream sharing is possible, and I have experimented in the past with dream sharing, but with little success. I think I will do some more research on this again and post sources like you said.
Do a reality check

buildit

Postby buildit » 26 Feb 2015 17:26

My biggest issue with dream sharing is not the ability of two minds to share a matrix or construct, although that does in fact create very interesting issues. No my issue is the mean of transmission and reception of the "signals" if you will. Sort of like two people with ham radios but no idea if they work, how they work or if they can receive signals. Until we better understand if and how this sort of telepathy might occur everything else is test shots in a dark room at an invisible target. :?
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

TheDude

Postby TheDude » 27 Feb 2015 01:52

To nesgirl: Can you elaborate on the term you coined - lucid dream probability? I think I understand what you meant when you said this, but i would like to be sure I completely understand what you mean.

To Goldkoron: Excellent!

To buildit: That is the main reason why I made this topic: to find out if there is a way to consistently send and receive "signals"
- Walt Disney

TheDude

Postby TheDude » 27 Feb 2015 16:38

Thank you for explaining lucid dream probability. If dream sharing is completely based off of chance and has a low probability, let's try to find a way to raise the probability.
- Walt Disney

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Feb 2015 05:20

What exactly is "Dream Sharing"?
I can think of 2 kinds:

1. You meet and talk to a person in your dream, both lucid, sharing the same dream space at the same time.
2. You both report having extremely similar content in your dreams, (lucid or not), having dreamed at the same time.

The first one is the holy grail of dream sharing, but the second one, technically could be considered dream sharing too if the similarities are so astronomical each and every time it can't simply be blamed on coincidence.

To properly conduct an experiment we must all sleep at the same time. Unfortunately, we all live in different time zones and it's hard to organize a group sleep session, but there is a lot of overlap in our sleep times, so it's possible, especially with enough volunteers. Then we simply have to pick a day we all agree upon and that morning, we share our dreams we had. Remember to mark the time you went to sleep, and if/when you woke up and went back to sleep. It can then all be converted to GMT-0 depending on where you live so we know it's the same times. (I would add +5 to my sleeping times for example, and someone else, +8).

It's hard to orchestrate on a forum.

Me and Goldkoron attempted dream sharing by sharing a mutual Wake Back to Bed time, confirming we were awake through instant messaging, and then returning to sleep. It helps to have more volunteers because it increases the odds that at least 2 people will be lucid at the same time.

Unfortunately this experiment relies on trust, and anyone can be in cahoots with another volunteer, so it can never prove anything 100%, but it could be fun to attempt dream sharing somehow.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Feb 2015 07:30

I have doubts about dream sharing, my brother is like me and we have tried a few times to meet up but no go.
We will try again of course some time soon
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

TheDude

Postby TheDude » 01 Mar 2015 06:18

nesgirl wrote:There is one form of probability that isn't as low as others you could try. Leaving a card on the counter, both you and your friend attempting to meet in a WILD at your house, and then you and your friend trying to guess the card on the counter. The odds of you successfully having this form of probability Lucid Dream are 1 in 2704. The odds of you both matching the card in real time are 1 in 140,608

Unfortunately, I have no one to try that with as none of my friends and/or family really cares about LDing :(.

HAGART wrote:What exactly is "Dream Sharing"?
I can think of 2 kinds:

1. You meet and talk to a person in your dream, both lucid, sharing the same dream space at the same time.
2. You both report having extremely similar content in your dreams, (lucid or not), having dreamed at the same time.

The first one is the holy grail of dream sharing, but the second one, technically could be considered dream sharing too if the similarities are so astronomical each and every time it can't simply be blamed on coincidence.

To properly conduct an experiment we must all sleep at the same time. Unfortunately, we all live in different time zones and it's hard to organize a group sleep session, but there is a lot of overlap in our sleep times, so it's possible, especially with enough volunteers. Then we simply have to pick a day we all agree upon and that morning, we share our dreams we had. Remember to mark the time you went to sleep, and if/when you woke up and went back to sleep. It can then all be converted to GMT-0 depending on where you live so we know it's the same times. (I would add +5 to my sleeping times for example, and someone else, +8).

It's hard to orchestrate on a forum.

Me and Goldkoron attempted dream sharing by sharing a mutual Wake Back to Bed time, confirming we were awake through instant messaging, and then returning to sleep. It helps to have more volunteers because it increases the odds that at least 2 people will be lucid at the same time.

Unfortunately this experiment relies on trust, and anyone can be in cahoots with another volunteer, so it can never prove anything 100%, but it could be fun to attempt dream sharing somehow.

Maybe we could set up a skype chat where we could figure out the best time to try this with whoever would be willing to volunteer. I suggested skype because it's a lot quicker than communicating via forum.
- Walt Disney

Return to “Dream Science”