Hypnagogia Help

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
TheDude

Hypnagogia Help

Postby TheDude » 01 Mar 2015 21:51

I've been trying to do the hypnogogia technique for a few nights and it is not working for me. I will feel my self getting close to falling asleep, but I don't. Also, whenever I fully focus on the hypnogogia, I will randomly think of my physical body. After trying for an hour and a half at most, I just let my self go to sleep as I normally do. I think it may just be that I need more practice focusing on the hypnogogia, but I don't know and I am starting to get frustrated as I have been trying this technique for about a month and I haven't seen any progress.

Do you guys think I should continue with this technique or do you think that it's just not going to work and that I should try something else? If you think I should keep trying it, what are some ways of improving my focus as I try it?
“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.”
- Walt Disney

taniaaust1

Re: Hypnagogia Help

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Mar 2015 15:22

After a month of trying this for 1.5 hrs at times (that's a long time!!) and having no success... you do need to change what you are doing at this point. Expect to see progress within weeks if the way you are doing something is working or going to work well.

I suggest to not give up on the techique immediately but first try for a couple of weeks not doing this when first going to bed, but rather try it in middle of the night for a couple of weeks. Ask others here when its usually an optimal time after going to bed, to wake yourself up and then go back to bed and try this.

If doing this at a different time dont work (at some time during the middle of night after having some sleep.. also dont try it for longer then 1hr at a time), well then yes you do need to then go to trying a completely different technique (not all find WILD techinques suitable, some find them harder then other techinques).

Doing it for longer then an hour will just end up leading to frustration and sleep issues! If this techinque is going to work for you well, it shouldnt take longer then an hour) Anyway.. try it for a couple of weeks the other way first before giving up on this technique completely
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 03 Mar 2015 20:19

Be thankful that after so many unsuccessful attempts you are able to drift off to sleep. You may be disappointed that you did not attain lucidity but at least you got to sleep. Not all of us are so lucky, and unfortunate insomnia awaits. It is then that not merely changing tactics but abandoning hope at lucidity is required to maintain sanity and not become an walking zombie during the day, affecting work and other important considerations.

I am always amused when we are given advice to "do this for only an hour" when training to LD (when, presumably, one's eyes are closed, no?) or "if you have insomnia, get out of bed if you are still awake after 30 minutes" when another part of the cure to insomnia is NOT looking at clocks to remind oneself of the inevitable march of time passing during which you cannot attain unconsciousness. I guess lucid dreamers and insomniacs - to add to their stress - are expected to also have an accurate sense of how much time has passed during these hellish limbos. Either that, or the advice is so inconsistent and contradictory as to be useless beyond the person giving it.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Mar 2015 07:24

astrovineyard wrote:Be thankful that after so many unsuccessful attempts you are able to drift off to sleep. You may be disappointed that you did not attain lucidity but at least you got to sleep. Not all of us are so lucky, and unfortunate insomnia awaits. It is then that not merely changing tactics but abandoning hope at lucidity is required to maintain sanity and not become an walking zombie during the day, affecting work and other important considerations.

I am always amused when we are given advice to "do this for only an hour" when training to LD (when, presumably, one's eyes are closed, no?) or "if you have insomnia, get out of bed if you are still awake after 30 minutes" when another part of the cure to insomnia is NOT looking at clocks to remind oneself of the inevitable march of time passing during which you cannot attain unconsciousness. I guess lucid dreamers and insomniacs - to add to their stress - are expected to also have an accurate sense of how much time has passed during these hellish limbos. Either that, or the advice is so inconsistent and contradictory as to be useless beyond the person giving it.

Astrovineyard.. Ive told you previously that waking up in the middle of the night isnt a technnique anyone who has insomina should do. Doing so is asking for trouble. Doing any technique at all which will cut back on sleep is bad for someone who has already insomnia.

There are other techiniques in which that doesnt have to occur ..eg I myself have terrible insomina due to other health issues I have. I will often do a WILD instead by choosing to have an afternoon nap.

What I do is keep a watch by the bed and look at it when I think its been an hour and when Im going to try a WILD before sleep, I'll go to bed an hour earlier so I dont risk loosing sleep! (I'll often have a LD at the 45min mark thou some have theirs a lot sooner) .

It's also a good reality check to look at the watch with the thing in mind that one may already be in a dream so use it to reality check if time is looked at. (thing is one shouldnt be checking a watch every 15mins as that would show anxiety and not a relaxed state). Anyway, I suggest to keep trying to WILD under 45-60mins (or of cause one could accidently go over that.. its no big deal) and then if it dont work, roll over and go to sleep (which can still trigger one).

I guess lucid dreamers and insomniacs - to add to their stress - are expected to also have an accurate sense of how much time has passed during these hellish limbos

It doesnt have to be any accurate sense of time.. it can be guessed at and checked and one will know better next time ... its just a guideline.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”