Looking in the mirror while lucid.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
berggg

Looking in the mirror while lucid.

Postby berggg » 02 Mar 2015 23:32

Anyone who has tried to look in the mirror while lucid? I don't dare. I think it's scary. You never know what you'll see there.

astrovineyard

Re: Looking in the mirror while lucid.

Postby astrovineyard » 02 Mar 2015 23:53

I would not be afraid. Actually, I assumed that mirrors were a good tool to use to test lucidity precisely because the reflections are not realistic, and a good way to know if you are dreaming and go lucid.

I imagine I've dreamed of mirrors before but did not become lucid (maybe old dreams of teeth falling out) but the most recent dream with a mirror was VERY strange because a deformed face that wasn't mine was looking back, and it had a strange vividness to it. It was disturbing but not scary, and although it didn't make me realize that I was dreaming, it did induce a brief state of sleep paralysis, when suddenly I heard a strange growling/gurgling sound accompanied by an urge to wake up, which coincided with me feeling "stuck" or "trapped" asleep in the dream, unable to move or break free or even suck in a gasp of air for a couple seconds before I jolted awake.

So I see some potential for mirrors.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 04 Mar 2015 00:12

I've only briefly seen my reflection in a dream mirror, but I hope I have other opportunities to work with mirrors in dreams, as this seems to be a portal for exploring many intriguing aspects of consciousness.

I recommend the following resources. -

- There's an interesting article at this web site, but it's easier to find it with web search for -
- "The Mirror Experiment: Probing The Lucid Dream Mirror" - Rebecca Turner - world-of-lucid-dreaming.com

- "Mirrors In Lucid Dreams" - Lucid Dreaming Experience - dreaminglucid.com
The Sept. 2013 issue contains several good articles about mirrors in lucid dreams.

jasmine2

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 18 Mar 2015 19:02

I must emphasize that my dream mirror experiences are rare, but not lucidly intended. Either that are a normal hum-drum part of the dream, or else the event stands at the threshold of a potential lucid experience. As I explained, my last mirror dream happened at a point in the dream where the imagery became vivid and ultra-clear (and strange). I strained to peer in the mirror and saw a bizarre reflection that was not mine, strange but not scary. It was only then the strange sound began and the instinctive need to wake up, even though I did not actually think the words/idea "I am sleeping/dreaming." I only started to panic when I did not wake up right away and had to struggle a bit to free myself from feeling "stuck."

Theduderules

Postby Theduderules » 28 Sep 2018 04:35

i became lucid in a dream. i was at my childhood home with my sisters.
i noticed a mirror on the wall and decided to look at myself in it.
To my surprise i didn't look like myself. Somehow i was familiar, but it wasn't my face. my forhead was bigger, my jawline smaller. i looked really strange.
i awakened soon after.

Return to “For Beginners”